Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
There is no better remedy for the blues than diet and exercise

This is fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Hi all,

I felt a little inspired by reading this thread, so it seems the people of Seattle may be more of a boon to creativity than the weather!

I would say that if a person is depressed by the weather they probably wouldnt be very creative. Reading through the thread though it seems most there dont regard the weather as depressing even thought its rainy. I think it takes more emotional intelligence to turn something that could be considered a negative into a positive, and this alone can be a factor in increased creativity.

I live in one of those high suicide states, AZ and I hate it here. I find the constant sunshine boring and depressing, and maybe I have a reverse SAD disorder. Overall I'm a more creative person that feels totally stifled by this environment, so Im not tapping into it. I'm living proof that sunshine does not equal happiness or creativity. Others though do love it, those types get off on painting images of cactus and navajo vases, sticking plastic wagon wheels in their front yard... stuff like that, but its just not my thing.

I think it takes a special person to endure some discomfort for the sake of scenery, so if you are willing to endure the cold to see the beauty of snow, or endure the rain to have lushness and colorful foliage in the fall, you are able to have a deeper appreciation for your surroundings and deserve the awesome summer when that time comes.

The people here in Phx are totally uninteresting and rarely want to discuss much more besides how much they hate rain, snow, and humidity, and ponder mind bending mysteries like, "how do people in Seattle put up with all that rain??!!" Not only do I hate the weather and the city itself, but have a real issue with people that like it here. They are a rat racing, routine loving bunch that cant handle driving their BMW's through mud puddles.

It seems like people justify their love of Phoenix by virtue of hating everything else rather than liking anything that is actually unique to the area. I wont become a suicide statistic here, but I am not surprised that it tops the chart.

Thanks for lettin' me vent in here because if I did it in that forum, it gets hostile real quick, people start screaming, "if you dont like it leave!!!" I may have even received a few death threats via DM!

Last edited by cmist; 11-27-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Hi all,

I felt a little inspired by reading this thread, so it seems the people of Seattle may be more of a boon to creativity than the weather!

I would say that if a person is depressed by the weather they probably wouldnt be very creative. Reading through the thread though it seems most there dont regard the weather as depressing even thought its rainy. I think it takes more emotional intelligence to turn something that could be considered a negative into a positive, and this alone can be a factor in increased creativity.

I live in one of those high suicide states, AZ and I hate it here. I find the constant sunshine boring and depressing, and maybe I have a reverse SAD disorder. Overall I'm a more creative person that feels totally stifled by this environment, so Im not tapping into it. I'm living proof that sunshine does not equal happiness or creativity. Others though do love it, those types get off on painting images of cactus and navajo vases, sticking plastic wagon wheels in their front yard... stuff like that, but its just not my thing.

I think it takes a special person to endure some discomfort for the sake of scenery, so if you are willing to endure the cold to see the beauty of snow, or endure the rain to have lushness and colorful foliage in the fall, you are able to have a deeper appreciation for your surroundings and deserve the awesome summer when that time comes.

The people here in Phx are totally uninteresting and rarely want to discuss much more besides how much they hate rain, snow, and humidity, and ponder mind bending mysteries like, "how do people in Seattle put up with all that rain??!!" Not only do I hate the weather and the city itself, but have a real issue with people that like it here. They are a rat racing, routine loving bunch that cant handle driving their BMW's through mud puddles.

It seems like people justify their love of Phoenix by virtue of hating everything else rather than liking anything that is actually unique to the area. I wont become a suicide statistic here, but I am not surprised that it tops the chart.

Thanks for lettin' me vent in here because if I did it in that forum, it gets hostile real quick, people start screaming, "if you dont like it leave!!!" I may have even received a few death threats via DM!
Sounds a lot like San Diego. That too is one reason why I like Seattle and the Seattle forum here.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,458 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I couldn't have said it better myself! I live in Hawaii right now and I can't wait to leave. For very similar reasons that you have. I do like it here and I'm glad I got to experience it, but 6+ years is enough for me. People can't understand why I get so happy when it rains, locals, tourists,transplants. Most people here NEED the weather to be perfect to function, I can't stand it. I'm sick of meeting people that moved out to Hawaii to "escape the snow/rain/cold". Ugh. I like the sun and all, but for months on end it gets to be like a time warp for me. Looking back to when I lived in Massachusetts, I was most "creative" in the Fall and Winter. Playing in bands, running my own record label/distro from my bedroom... Then Summer used to roll around and I'd get a little bummed out. Oh well, good to know I'm not the only one out there with "R.S.A.D."

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself! I live in Hawaii right now and I can't wait to leave. For very similar reasons that you have. I do like it here and I'm glad I got to experience it, but 6+ years is enough for me. People can't understand why I get so happy when it rains, locals, tourists,transplants. Most people here NEED the weather to be perfect to function, I can't stand it. I'm sick of meeting people that moved out to Hawaii to "escape the snow/rain/cold". Ugh. I like the sun and all, but for months on end it gets to be like a time warp for me. Looking back to when I lived in Massachusetts, I was most "creative" in the Fall and Winter. Playing in bands, running my own record label/distro from my bedroom... Then Summer used to roll around and I'd get a little bummed out. Oh well, good to know I'm not the only one out there with "R.S.A.D."
True! Not to mention I thought about it afterwards, that the best art and creativity usually arises out of strife and angst. If you are the type of person that wants to avoid anything and everything that is uncomfortable because it disrupts your "routine", than you belong someplace predictable and sunny...

Chances are nothing interesting or significant will come out of a demographic that all congregates based on their hatred of every other place in the nation.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
True! Not to mention I thought about it afterwards, that the best art and creativity usually arises out of strife and angst. If you are the type of person that wants to avoid anything and everything that is uncomfortable because it disrupts your "routine", than you belong someplace predictable and sunny...

Chances are nothing interesting or significant will come out of a demographic that all congregates based on their hatred of every other place in the nation.
I agree with the both of you. San Diego is like that. God forbid anything goes wrong with their perfect weather that they act like they bought and paid for.

Just look at where all the creativity comes from, especially with music; New York, the Bay Area and Seattle are all quite prolific. These are areas where the weather isn't always "perfect". How much music and art do we get out of Hawaii anyway? San Diego produces some but not much. I don't see much coming out of the "tropical paradises". Living in a place like that would seem very boring to me. Wait...I kinda do already lol.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with the both of you. San Diego is like that. God forbid anything goes wrong with their perfect weather that they act like they bought and paid for.

Just look at where all the creativity comes from, especially with music; New York, the Bay Area and Seattle are all quite prolific. These are areas where the weather isn't always "perfect". How much music and art do we get out of Hawaii anyway? San Diego produces some but not much. I don't see much coming out of the "tropical paradises". Living in a place like that would seem very boring to me. Wait...I kinda do already lol.
Well I do like tropical reggae music... but we all know the creativity behind that is driven by somethin' a little dif'rent den da weather, right mon? LoL

Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Well I do like tropical reggae music... but we all know the creativity behind that is driven by somethin' a little dif'rent den da weather, right mon? LoL
haha very true

Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:

You make some excellent points here. I left Minneapolis 17 years ago to escape the cloud cover, first to Phoenix, and then to Las Vegas.

I'm a very serious, intense, creative, grounded type of person and you can really stand out here like a freak.

I rarely post on local forums here. And it's really nice to have the northern forums which have more "meat" in them to chew on. There's very little to chew on down here on the local forums.

If you want to get a barometer of the people who live somewhere or have moved somewhere, the state and city forums are very revealing.

I dream of the day when I can finally overcome my panic attacks during cloudy days and move elsewhere. Perhaps I should do an experimental run, sometime, spend a week in Pittsburgh or Portland during one of their cloudy periods and I may find, after all these years, a surprise awaiting me.

Perhaps, as one poster suggests, the right diet and exercise is the trick!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You make some excellent points here. I left Minneapolis 17 years ago to escape the cloud cover, first to Phoenix, and then to Las Vegas.

I'm a very serious, intense, creative, grounded type of person and you can really stand out here like a freak.

I rarely post on local forums here. And it's really nice to have the northern forums which have more "meat" in them to chew on. There's very little to chew on down here on the local forums.

If you want to get a barometer of the people who live somewhere or have moved somewhere, the state and city forums are very revealing.

I dream of the day when I can finally overcome my panic attacks during cloudy days and move elsewhere. Perhaps I should do an experimental run, sometime, spend a week in Pittsburgh or Portland during one of their cloudy periods and I may find, after all these years, a surprise awaiting me.

Perhaps, as one poster suggests, the right diet and exercise is the trick!
Awesome post. This is exactly why I post on other city forums. Before I ask all the typical questions like schools, jobs, entertainment, etc. I want to know what the people are like.

I already know that no matter what the scenery is here in AZ, that I do find myself at odds with 99% of the population. Phoenix is honestly at odds with nature always fighting to groom and manicure the terrain and it feels like a simulated environment. I wouldnt be surprised to find out one day that I am living like the "Truman Show" that Jim Carey movie.

If I tell someone I like rain, they make concerning glances, tell their kids to wait in the car and suddenly remember they were supposed to be somewhere else like yesterday.

I doubt I would ever make the move up to Seattle because its probably out of my price range. So for now I'm stuck here but always waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship, and probably whatever city feels like it has the coolest people will be where I would go... all the rest is up to you to make it be the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area