Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,645 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get the "feel" of some of the suburbs of Seattle, especially those in the North and East. Can anyone compare them to suburbs in Portland, Boise, Sacramento, or San Jose?

Also, which, if any, of them have great parks and/or walking/biking trails? Best "downtown" area? I like shopping and restaurants, but not just chains. Any input is welcome, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,671,434 times
I have lived in both Seattle and Sacramento - I recently have moved back to Sacramento.

The suburbs of the Eastside, are like Folsom ( Issaquah) and El Dorado Hills (Snoqualmie Ridge)

And Bellevue is like Roseville

The North Suburbs (Lynwood)are more "Affordable" like Rocklin or Natomas

And my husband and I just commented that Kirkland is like Fair Oaks (which is where I reside now)

Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,584,735 times
I don't know...I stayed in Roseville for a couple weeks, and it didn't really remind me of Bellevue. Beyond the generic suburban similarities, there is no central core with skyscrapers, and it is flat as paper.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,671,434 times
That's true on the skyscrapers, but Sac area hardly has though anyhow - I was actually trying to think of the upscale shopping centers around in a suburb...so I thought Roseville Galleria would be comparable to Bell Square

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

17 posts, read 59,051 times
Default san jose/sf suburbs

having spent 40 years in the bay area and 15 years up here, this is my observation. Eastside think Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos/Marin County. Bellevue think Walnut Creek meets Tiburon. Kirkland think Sausalito/TiburonNovato. Woodinville think Danville.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM

271 posts, read 655,720 times
I hate the Seattle suburbs for the most part.

with the constant development here the Seattle suburbs feel just like an extended part of Seattle. (All traffic, no character) At least in Portland, and Boise the suburbs at least feel like their own little community. That's my opinion anyway

Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM

271 posts, read 655,720 times
Well...ok maybe I should clarify.

Suburbs like Kirkland definately have character. But I can't live in Kirkland because it's just too expensive. For me to get to Kirkland I would have to drive there and deal with bad Seattle area traffic.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 PM

98 posts, read 441,715 times
North Seattle/Shoreline is really of Suburb of Downtown. There are Two world class parks on the shore, Carkeek and Richmond Highlands. The commute with many different routes besides interstate 5 is about 20 minutes. Ballard although part of Seattle fees different and has character as does Richmond Beach. Edmonds is a very self contained waterfront town and has great character. In each of these areas there are some good restaurants and independent shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area