Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,282 times

Advertisements

The hubby is going on a 2nd interview for a company in Tukwila. That being said, we are now trying to consider a move to Seattle if he gets an offer. I went to high school in Oak Harbor but moved to Cincinnati for college (and stayed). We need a bit of insight to sort of weigh our options.

We would love to own a home but looking on ReMax, the prices scare me. We live in a $350K home here that is 4br 2ba with family room and office (2200sq ft). Homes in our are (Wyoming is a suburb of Cincy) are tudors, brick colonials (ours is), and victorians so we are partial to a home iwth some character. Our current home underwent major renovation mostly by my husband and father-in-law but Seattle would be a bit of a commute for the FIL. There is an obvious difference in the cost of living standards as well.

Education is VERY important to us (the hubby has a PhD) and we specifically moved to this burb (paying the higher taxes) for that reason. Our disctrict is nationally recognized and our high school is 50th out of 100 top school in the nation. It is a small district as well, which was appealing. (2 children: 1 is a first grader and the other is an infant)

I've found some great advice for neighborhoods to look at but they don't seem to be an option to choose on ReMax's website. I guess I'm a bit overwelmed with the info out there so some advice from anyone would be nice. Love to be able to know our neighbors, close to shopping/dining, have some trees/house with charm.

I have to say that some of the views that possible homes have are amazing. Also, Cincy has an AWFUL urban lifestyle or city living in general so the move would be exciting. The concept of the amazing public transportation Seattle has to offer is exciting to the hubby because we only have a bus system.

Ok...I'm done babbling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Around here, the best real estate websites are: Windermere and Redfin.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,282 times
Thanks. I see that Redfin can search by neighborhood. I'm going to have to check that out. It makes searching with everyone's advice MUCH easier.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
If the school district is going to be a big factor, you may want to look at some of the Eastside suburbs or Maple Valley. The school districts immediately surrounding Tukwila ( Renton, Highline( Burien), Kent), and Tukwila itself aren't very good, though there some individual schools within those districts that are very good...You may have to spend more than 350 thousand to get the kind of house you're describing, especially in Bellevue, which has some extremely highly rated schools. Somewhere in South Bellevue would mean an easier commute to Tukwila. Consider the city of Newcastle, south of Bellevue and north of Renton. Some of it's in the Renton school district and some is in the better Issaquah district. Newcastle has some amazing scenery, hiking trails, and less expensive houses than Bellevue, as a general rule.
Then there's Issaquah, east of Newcastle and Bellevue. Unlike most places in the Seattle area, Issaquah does have an historic downtown, with good shopping and restaurants, live theatre, and a good school district.
Other parts of the east side, like Kirkland and Redmond, might be too long of a commute to Tukwila.
Houses within the City of Seattle have charm and character, but the school district is less than wonderful, and the neighborhoods with great schools are plagued with really expensive houses.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
The prices should scare you. We sold a characterless, 1600 square foot box in the city for 400K last year. I don't know if the prices have dropped much but we lived in one of the lower priced neighborhoods with good schools (Wedgwood). We moved back to Seattle in 2001 after being gone for several years because I was "homesick." We'd moved from an area with a much lower cost of living (Austin, TX) and just didn't realize what a struggle it would be to have a family there. When you are young and childless, you don't have to consider school districts, the safety of neighborhoods, etc. We lasted eight years before we said "enough" and moved back to lower cost of living land. Life is much better when you're not stressing about money all of the time.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM

129 posts, read 388,584 times
Its interesting, I agree with everything Jennibc just wrote regarding cost of living, and yet that's the reason we are considering a move to Seattle. Then again we would be coming from the ridiculous high cost of living / debatable quality of life / hot or miss schools of NYC (although I do realize Seattle isn't cheap by any means). Everything is relative I suppose . . .

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Its interesting, I agree with everything Jennibc just wrote regarding cost of living, and yet that's the reason we are considering a move to Seattle. Then again we would be coming from the ridiculous high cost of living / debatable quality of life / hot or miss schools of NYC (although I do realize Seattle isn't cheap by any means). Everything is relative I suppose . . .
You are absolutely right. If someone is moving from the Bay area or NYC, Seattle will provide a sigh of relief (economically). However, if you are coming from the midwest (just about anyplace other other than Chicago) the difference may seem staggering. If you are coming from DC or Boston I don't think you will notice much of a difference.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Here's a great site to help with schools.

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

You can compare districts, schools within districts, or schools in general.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
When I'm looking at houses on line, I then reference these sites to research schools in those areas School Digger, Seattle Times School Guide (http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/schoolguide - broken link) and Great Schools.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
Public transit in Seattle isn't that amazing. We mostly only have a bus system too for now, though it's probably more extensive than in Cincinnati. Tukwilla is one of the few places the light rail does go to however but depending on where you live it may or may not be usable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area