Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,147,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
movingwiththewind: Why did you respond to that post of mine and not the message/post I sent to you before. Do you know which message/post Im talking about!?
NUB, do you know that some time ago, our country declared war on terror? Do you know what I'm taking about?

And, by the way, because you didn't mention Mudhoney in your list of Seattle original 90s bands, henceforth, I'll ignore your posts.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 05-29-2010 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,055,129 times
Eddie Vedder wasn't really part of the 90s live music, grunge scene if you think about it. If I remember correctly, "Pearl Jam" (which was the reincarnation of Mother Love Bone which sprang from Green River) recorded an album before it ever played live. Vedder joined the group after Andy Woods died of a heroin overdose in 1990. It wasn't like Eddie Vedder was playing at the Central in the late 80s and early 90s.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,055,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Interestingly enough, Jennibc now lives in my home town and from what I've read, she's much happier and I'm glad she loves it. Austin is not the same place for me as it was twenty years ago. I go back now and am dissapointed at what it's become. My Austin is in the 70's and 80's -that place no longer exists. They say, when you leave a place, you can never really go back. For me, that's true. This happens to people from Seattle too.
That's an interesting point you bring up. We'd been gone from Seattle for six and a half years when we moved back and the changes were so dramatic (we were gone from end of 94 through January 2001) that I could never feel the love again. I think the combination of the dramatic change in culture and cost, along with my worsening of seasonal affective disorder, made it unbearable for us. But like I've said, I have friends there that wouldn't live anywhere else. However, they were there through the 80s, 90s, and 00's without any break so they didn't face the shock that we did. It's that whole frog in boiling water analogy: throw him in and he'll jump out, slowly turn up the heat and he'll boil to death because he gets used to the rising heat.

I know Austin has changed dramatically in the time you've been gone, but we were only lived here briefly in the late nineties, so we never knew the Austin that you did. So we don't really have anything to mourn. Just like NUB never knew Seattle in the 80s, the Seattle that I knew and loved.

That's why I would never go on a board like this and try to claim one place is unequivocally better than another for everyone. We all have different values and needs. There are some people that are perfectly happy living out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. I don't understand it, but it works for them. Who am I to say that "you must love NYC, it is far superior."

Austin works better for us now. Who knows, maybe in 30 years it will morph into something I don't like, but we'll be too old to move so I will have to live with it.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

328 posts, read 838,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post

That's why I would never go on a board like this and try to claim one place is unequivocally better than another for everyone. We all have different values and needs. There are some people that are perfectly happy living out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. I don't understand it, but it works for them. Who am I to say that "you must love NYC, it is far superior."

Austin works better for us now. Who knows, maybe in 30 years it will morph into something I don't like, but we'll be too old to move so I will have to live with it.
Agreed! It's a pointless endeavor to try and convince someone that my values and views are what's valid. The truth is they're only valid to me. To suggest that one just needs try this or see that and they will understand is naive. No place is Shangri-La. We apply our own sensibilties to our environments and make the decisions that will be best for ourselves. For some Seattle is as good as it gets. For others, it is Hell on Earth.

By the way, give my regards to 6th Street!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 AM

233 posts, read 752,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't understand why the surprise, but politically speaking: I'm Conservative.

Is there any Seattle act on the National stage right now? I would like to support it.
Fleet Foxes are probably the biggest act from Seattle right now. Their debut album came out in 2008 to wide acclaim. They've been on Saturday Night Live, David Letterman and numerous british tv shows. You can Youtube them to hear what their music is like. It may or may not be your style of music, sort of reminiscent of CSNY.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,074,855 times
Quote:
-People are ruder than they used to be.
-The city does seem faster and less friendly.
-It has gotten more expensive and a bit snobby
Yet people think we should be jamming even more people in raising the prices and the stress.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Yet people think we should be jamming even more people in raising the prices and the stress.
This argument goes on in many places, not just Washington.

What solution would you recommend?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM

615 posts, read 1,074,855 times
- Cut way back on legal immigration
- Set a minimum age for pregnancy medicaid or whatever it's called
- Have a big public awareness campaign in schools and media, especially in areas with lots of hispanic people

Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
- Cut way back on legal immigration
I'm not sure how this is practical on a local level, but if you're referring to the national level...this would best be taken to the Politics & Controversies Forum - Be warned: It's a pirranah feed there.
- Set a minimum age for pregnancy medicaid or whatever it's called
Why not eliminate Medicaid all together? Great in theory, but what would this really look like in application?
- Have a big public awareness campaign in schools and media, especially in areas with lots of hispanic people
Really? Why hispanics?
Hmmm...I don't see how these address the increased rudeness, the faster pace, and high COL here in Seattle, let alone why some feel Vancouver's infrastructure is superior to ours. It looks more like a not-so-veiled attempt to make issue with Hispanics. This seems off topic to me and therefore should be addressed to the Politics & Controversies Forum.

Want to try again?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 PM

4,636 posts, read 13,908,487 times
To movingwiththewind: What an immature response from you. It is uncalled for. Seriously, how old are you? Your responses sometimes make you sound like your below age 15. Im going to ignore your posts too. If you read my most recent post , you know I would have been right and proved you wrong, which is why you didnt read the post.

Honestly, at this point, Im not surprised you had such a delusional view of Seattle. You seem to be someone who is very immature, and "unfocused" if that makes sense.

Hahaha saying Seattle is only "houses and freeways." That gave me a good laugh when I first read your post. Its definitely ok if someone does not like Seattle, but your thread from the very beginning come off as someone who knows nothing about Seattle and someone who doesnt know how to make judgments about their surroundings.

In a way, I hope you continue to be delusional about Seattle and not like it, so you dont move here
------------------------

Movingwiththewind's response:

NUB, do you know that some time ago, our country declared war on terror? Do you know what I'm taking about?

And, by the way, because you didn't mention Mudhoney in your list of Seattle original 90s bands, henceforth, I'll ignore your posts.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-29-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area