Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
It's supposed to be 75 degrees in San Diego by Friday (12/18) how's that for winter? I'd perfer the cold myself. I guess there's no such "perfect" place to live weather wise.
Wow, I knew it would warm up but not that much. Guess I shouldnt be too surprised though. Like you I prefer the colder weather and last week was awesome. I hate it when it's that warm so close to Christmas. It doesn't feel like Christmas at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
Yeah Gentoo, I heard that on the news this morning getting ready for work. It doesn't seem like Christmas when it's warm to me either. I got sad and wished for the partly cloudiness and rain (even it's just drizzle) to come back. Well I guess that's where we live eh?!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah ... no matter how many times it comes up that someone "from away" writes how much they love the rain, I marvel ... and keep muttering: "it's not about the rain" ... what's "not about the rain"? -- the uniquely challenging Seattle atmospheric ambiance.

Here's a description I have written before a couple times and which I will trot out again:
imagine that you've taken your clothes out of the dryer before it was fully cycled ... put them on thoroughly damp ... now step to your refrigerator and open the door ... set a fan inside ... turn it on and stand there soaking up the 'refreshing' breeze -- ('High' setting for the fan most of the time) ... do it steadfastly for about 8 months a year ...

late Sept. thru much of Oct. you will be allowed occasional sunbreaks ... Nov. thru March you will be allowed nearly no sun breaks at all ... just a few hours here and there every few weeks (and you must do this endurance feat in the shortest daylight hours in the lower 48) ... April thru May you will again be allowed some intermittent sun ... June thru mid-Sept. you will actually be allowed to wear dry clothes - most of the time.

Achoo!

That's what you have to either like or be willing to endure to enjoy this area. Some do. You might. But it is not about the rain here.
Put it through the outrageous exaggeration filter, and it rings partially true.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM

172 posts, read 441,976 times
wow I wish it was 25 degrees. Its been -11 degrees here in Idaho. I wish I was home for Christmas in Seattle.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Yeah Gentoo, I heard that on the news this morning getting ready for work. It doesn't seem like Christmas when it's warm to me either. I got sad and wished for the partly cloudiness and rain (even it's just drizzle) to come back. Well I guess that's where we live eh?!
Carrie are you also in San Diego appreciating Seattle from afar?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 PM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
Gentoo,
Yes I am Perhaps one day I too will enjoy living in the emerald city with my family. For now, my job looks pretty nice to be going anywhere especially in these tough times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Carrie are you also in San Diego appreciating Seattle from afar?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 PM

That's cool. I thought I was the only one. I cannot wait to be able to go back there.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Light drizzle + overcast skies = typical Seattle winter.

It's not like that every month. As we approach spring, the wetness and overcast skies taper off. Summers are dry, warm, and sunny. Autumn is also often warm and sunny. It's November where the rain & overcast skies begin to dominate again and continue that way until February/March.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM

I was there in mid September and it was hot! At least for a couple of days. It was still pretty warm otherwise.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,253 times
August and September can be hot. It will usually rain throughout June with occasional sunny breaks. July is usually nice, but not always. There have been plenty of early summers filled with rain. Honestly, I think people are crazy for wanting to move here for the weather, but that's just me. I love the sunshine. A 70 degree Christmas sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area