Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM

75 posts, read 254,685 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have a question for you guys.
My wife and I are moving to Seattle from Chicago with our 1 year old son.
We have been to Seattle 3 times in the past year. (I took the police exam)
While we were out there we fell in love with the place.

My wife is transferring her job and I am a Marketing Director so I work out of the home. So we are set on jobs.
(she will be working right downtown)

So the question I have for you guys is this.
Since we only hung out downtown and near seatec airport we know we want to live downtown, however we would like to get on our feet first and move down there next year.

We are looking at 2 different places.
One here:

3816 13th Ave W
Seattle, WA 98119

And one in Magnolia:
4051 Gilman Avenue West,
Seattle, WA

They (and the area) seem nice, but... coming from Chicago. Pictures can be deceiving.
So I was wondering your thoughts on these areas.

Safety?
Family Friendly?
Traffic?

Pretty much anything you could tell me would help.

Sorry for being that guy who asks all about neighborhoods.
But, we love Seattle and want to make sure we make the best choice as our starter apartment.

We don't want to have a sour taste of the place.

Also any area suggestions for a family of 3 looking for something close to downtown, 1 bedroom, and around $750 max would be great.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,270 times
Default my drive-by thoughts

the first address is fine, but a block from industrial waterfront/fisherman's terminal areas. Not dangerous or sketchy, but not particularly charming. Great access to Fremont & Ballard, which are both terrific neighborhoods, and easy downtown access.

2nd address - actually similar in that it's hard by the industrial area, but in a good safe neighborhood. It's slightly less accessible, but also closer to Discovery Park and more 'remote' feeling parts of the city. Magnolia has a lot less to offer as a standalone town than either Fremont or Ballard, but is pleasant in a generic, suburban-feeling way.

As places to start out, I think you'd be fine with either of them. Not prime Seattle real estate by any stretch, but definitely in solid areas with a lot of good surroundings.

Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,606 times
I agree Salty, but to be fair ANYWHERE on Magnolia is still easy access to Downtown.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 PM

233 posts, read 752,359 times
Magnolia has never struck me as more than just a residential neighborhood with beautiful homes and access to Discovery Park. Downtown is close by so that might be just what your looking for. Safety shouldn't be a concern and traffic isn't either since there is no heavy commercial district in Magnolia.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM

75 posts, read 254,685 times
thanks so much guys!!
I'm thinking about the New Queen Anne one then.
We'll hit up downtown in 6 months.

My main worry was safety. Google maps made it look really sketchy!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM

159 posts, read 626,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftpr View Post
thanks so much guys!!
I'm thinking about the New Queen Anne one then.
We'll hit up downtown in 6 months.

My main worry was safety. Google maps made it look really sketchy!
You'll have a tough time finding any really sketchy areas in Seattle, especially when compared to Chicago, and Queen Anne and Magnolia are definitely safe.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM

83 posts, read 228,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
You'll have a tough time finding any really sketchy areas in Seattle, especially when compared to Chicago, and Queen Anne and Magnolia are definitely safe.
+1...safety shouldn't be an issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area