Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM

228 posts, read 687,032 times

Advertisements

Is Pioneer Square a safe area to live in? I have read that it can be questionable after dark. Is it any worse than living in Belltown or Downtown and walking around after dark?

Mods: not sure if I can post this link, but I wanted to get an opinion of the area these apartments are located in.

Seattle Historic Lofts, Terry Denny, The Corona, Pioneer Square

Thanks for any feedback.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

52 posts, read 192,440 times
In my opinion, I would think the Pioneer Square area would be worse than the downtown and Belltown areas. Anytime I went to Pioneer Square at night, even around 6pm, there were drug dealers EVERYWHERE. It was awful. My gym was located in Belltown and I never felt unsafe and rarely saw drug dealers. I worked downtown about 2 blocks from Pike Place Market and was there at night and again, never felt that unsafe.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Pioneer Square has it's share of homeless folk. Pioneer Square has noisy clubs. I wouldn't describe it as necessarily dangerous at all times, but clearly a place I'd feel like I'd have to be on my guard a lot. The Corona I'd say is a worse location than the Terry-Denny, just a little scuzzier, though the Terry-Denny is a cool old building. Pioneer Square is a smaller neighborhood than Belltown, so I'd say that some parts of Belltown are much better than those Pioneer Square locations from the perspective of feeling safe.
Plus, I think Pioneer Square has declined a little in recent years, and with the move of Elliott Bay Books to Capitol Hill, it doesn't look it's about to transform any time soon for the better.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM

129 posts, read 388,507 times
Just a visitor, but my impression of that are wasn't great. And yet it has so much potential with the great architecture, open spaces and location.

What's the deal with this area and why hasn't there been more of a crackdown on the safety/crime/quality of life issues? any other city and a neighborhood like this would be gold.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Just a visitor, but my impression of that are wasn't great. And yet it has so much potential with the great architecture, open spaces and location.

What's the deal with this area and why hasn't there been more of a crackdown on the safety/crime/quality of life issues? any other city and a neighborhood like this would be gold.
I agree with you. When I visited Seattle, it was always one of my favorite neighborhoods to travel through. Although my travels were during the day in broad daylight, so I suppose I don't have the "night-time experience to compare it to. When I walked through the "Tenderloin" in San Francisco, there seemed to be hundreds of homeless people and drug dealers to which the number of homeless on the streets in Seattle can't even compare.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post

Its one of the great questions of our time. But Seattle leadership has never fared well in the "obvious" department.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM

83 posts, read 228,365 times
Pioneer square is fine...people there are harmless...unless you're scare of powerless drunk homeless...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksean View Post
Pioneer square is fine...people there are harmless...unless you're scare of powerless drunk homeless...
Ha! Yea, drunks have "drunk strength!" So if one latches on to you, you're finished.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 AM

353 posts, read 934,390 times
Those are beautiful apartments.
I have been walking in Pioneer square several times. It was always during the day, and always with other people, but I never felt threatened. However, I have been advised to stay away at night, especially if alone.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
Those are beautiful apartments.
I have been walking in Pioneer square several times. It was always during the day, and always with other people, but I never felt threatened. However, I have been advised to stay away at night, especially if alone.
I wish I could find similar style apartments in some other part of the city. I just can't imagine living there and having to watch over my shoulder when walking around after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area