Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times

Advertisements

Seattle has little to no race relations problems. I'm a white male from Chicago and can tell you that the snide remarks and jokes behind closed doors type of racism that exists in the Midwest does not exist out here. People here just don't give a sh*t.

Case in point is that after four cops out here got killed - both by deranged black men - was there an outpouring of racial hatred against blacks? Nope. Not a single thing I heard of. Just outpouring of grief for the families and lots of people donating.

In terms of danger to law enforcement, I would say the recent attacks against cops is alarming and they are on high alert. WA also produces its share of crazy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 453,976 times
If you're from the Mid-West, you're in for a real surprise. This place is great. You shouldn't have to worry about racism here for the most part (I didn't know what it was until I moved to the mid-west with my parents as a kid) and there's lots of opportunity here as well, especially for business owners. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM

172 posts, read 441,950 times
Most people in Seattle are pretty nice people. I find them to be the same as the mid-west. There are alot of blacks, but not as much as some cities in the south or East coast. Seattle is a huge melting pot.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 9,784 times
I appreciate everyone's input! I am so excited about moving up there...I do have a 10yr old and wanted to know info on a great school system, but an affordable, family friendly, diverse neighborhood. I don't want to pay more than $700/mo for a 2bed apt for us. Somewhere with parks and other kids near by...

I can't wait to sell my home and find a job up there....

Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,135 times
There is a large population of "liberal" middle class whites in Seattle, who in my opinion are in one way or another removed from dealing directly with issues specific to blacks in the city. Alot of them (again in my opinion) and this is a broad brush here; due to living in neighborhoods that generally follow the same boundaries set by pre fifties segregated real estate practices, are in effect living in gated communities minus the gates. The whole "I have black friends", or "I drive threw that central district/southend to work, during the day, no problem" or "Seattle is a melting pot, what me worry" attitude (again in my opinion) strongly holds true. While Seattle is, a melting pot, it is after all a larger city, there are not that many areas in the city you can go, and not see at lease a few colored folks living in harmony, but about 70% of the city is white. There is a large black population in Seattle, about 60,000 which could, account for a small city, never the less that's about 10% of the total city population, the black neighborhoods are generally surrounded by white neighborhoods. There also are neighborhoods that are populated by working class whites and working class blacks. That has changed in the the past 10 or so years and alot of these ntypes of neighborhoods have have been repopulated by some of the Gay communitty and middle to upper class whites. This creates a paradox that nurtures a disconnect with alot of Seattle's whites, who are somewhat ignorent to these dynamics or for what ever other reasons believe that this type of mixing is part of a "natural prosses" of neighborhood reclomation, and transformation, or the the norm. Dispite all these factors, In all their liberal wisdom there are alot of white folks in Seattle believe they are immune to harboring any negitive thoughts in they're everyday lives to or in engaging issues relating to race and racism...
or are some who simply feel they are in effect to smart to be racist, and interact with their brethren in a fair equal and color blind way. I'd be curious if the minority population were just 15 to 20% higher and connected more intimately to the city population as a whole, if this "white disconnect" would manifest in a less sub surface way, or would the attitude in race relations in the city be more akin to attitudes held the mid west, "Safety (for lack of a better word) in numbers" ratio of white to black, "numbers".. There is a certain safety and shelter for whites in Seattle to think in a way similar to the above mentioned thought process. makes it easy for a white person in Seattle to state that there are "no problems" with race relations in Seattle.
Never the less, there is alot of racial integration in Seattle, more so then most cities in America. The people here are cool folks, creative, educated, smart .. laid back generally friendly.. but the poopoo side of it, is the city seems to breed alot of fake, wishy washy, passive aggressive, pretentious, uptight, know it all, soft, greedy, lazy, spoiled, sheltered followers ...but i digress.
I grew up in the south end a blue collar poorer, racially diverse neighbor hood ie; it had/has a equal mix of blacks, whites, Asians and pacific islanders), and spent my high school years at Franklin High everybody got along fine. Living/growing up in a relatively poor area that can act as a leveler; every body's dealing with alot of the same issues.
The black population isn't at all close to being as tight knit or progressive as it was 15 -20 years ago, some of it due to drugs pumped into our neighborhoods and by us, gangs bussed up from cali in the 80s and alot of middle class black families relocating from the innercity to the suburbs... and gentrification. Prior to the early eighties and up until now, alot of the black population in Seattle was middle class,the neighborhoods were economiclly healthy; there were alot of black owned businesses, community centers, music venues, clubs. Burgining areas compared to comprable neighborhoods in other American cities. Their are still a fair amount of business's and people who stay/ed in the Central district, South end and west Seattle.
Alot of the black folks here (I feel) economically social and mentally; are stuck in the past, ie the 80s and early 90s when life wasn't "too" easy for us here, as it was in, most large American cities.. so they're left, now, not knowing or wanting to take advantage of the zillions of amenity's and opportunities we have now, here in this billionaire millionaire populated city. There are alot of blacks (not all of us) who are aware of what Seattle offers business and other wise, and those who act like crabs in a barrel, and are more concerned with looking the part, then actually playin the part. It's not like Chicago, where the black community could produce a president.. or like the sixties when Seattle produced Jimi Hendrixes, Quincy Jones, Bruce Lee's, and Ray Charles-es-es. As a black Business woman you gotta basically start from scratch, be wary of the black business community here. There is a strong core community but you gotta really look hard for it..past all the song, dance and booshwa, but it is here.
So that's my rant. could be wrong about all of it..
but I do know, there are some good hair shops on Jackson st. in the Central District, and On Rainer In Columbia city and Hillman city and down toward Rainer beach, oh and Skyway which is on the southern boarder of Seattle, you could Probably find some in Renton. that's on the south boarder of the town as well.
Franklin is solid public school, pretty good really, great mix of everybody Garfield is good it's the main high school in the Central Area, also (where Jimi and Bruce Lee attended High School among other's) but the classes or class types are split like an oreo ie; blacks go to "black classes" (whatever that means) and whites go to white classes (what ever that means)
NOVA "Great School"
Hawthorne elementary was good, i liked it.
Great private schools here some of the best in the world, Seattle Prep, Oday, Bush Elementary etc.
good luck

Last edited by okthenright; 02-11-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgirl77 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input! I am so excited about moving up there...I do have a 10yr old and wanted to know info on a great school system, but an affordable, family friendly, diverse neighborhood. I don't want to pay more than $700/mo for a 2bed apt for us. Somewhere with parks and other kids near by...

I can't wait to sell my home and find a job up there....
this certainly narrows the field down. Its a steal when you can find a 1bdrm for around 700 dollars in Seattle proper and its outlying areas. I don't even think you can find an apt in Olympia (which is about an hr away and smaller) that's 700 dollars for 2 bdrm.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Hello! I cannot answer your questions about the hair salons, but I want to note that I moved to the Seattle area from Nebraska in November. So far, as far as people go, I think they are no different than they are in the midwest- very open and friendly! I have not seen any signs of the Seattle Freeze yet.
I respectfully disagree that people in Seattle are the same as people from the midwest. I am a single business woman in my upper 30's and I am from Chicago originally. The communication style is totally different, in my experience, it is more passive (sometimes even passive-aggressive) and sensitive. If you are from the midwest, you will notice this pretty quickly. People are generally friendly, but hardly open their circles to outsiders, again, my experience. Now, this isn't to say you cannot meet people here because you can (I find other transplants are more likely to reach out and bring you into their circle). However, with the locals it seems that they take more time to develop friendships than in other cities that I have lived (Chicago, New York, Denver). I thought the threads that I read on the freeze were total bull and assumed it was from lack of effort or putting oneself out there. However, I have found there is some validity to it (and this is probably why that thread just keeps on going). I don't attribute it to people here being unkind, just more selective in investing time into new relationships (which isn't a bad thing). However, if you are looking for that neighborhood welcome that you would get in the midwest, it isn't going to be the same here (not saying you won't get one, it will just be different).

What I have noticed about this city is that it is very white. Chicago is segregated and a somewhat racist city. The black population in Seattle was shockingly (for me) small and isolated to a couple of pocket areas.

Seattle is an amazing city. It is lush and thriving. You will enjoy the mild winters and mild summers if you are from the midwest (not to mention the lack of mosquitos!). The sheer beauty at your fingertips will take your breath away...mountains and sea. I hope that you enjoy your move here and discover for yourself the gem of the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area