Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 PM

163 posts, read 576,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... There isn't really such thing as a reverse commute on the i5/i405 Corridor b/w Everett and Tacoma during Rush hour. Not anymore. It's just BAD during rush hour.

You have people trying to get on 167 or i5 in the morning and that's atop having to deal with people getting on i405 from 167 (and i90) bottleneck. I use to live about 11 minutes from my work (Bellevue to Renton DT)... but with the i405sb traffic in the morning it would take up to 40 minutes.

Traffic is going to be bad everywhere. West Seattle would have more a moving one.
There is a kinda nice little community on the Puget Sound
named Des Moines and above it is Normandy Park. This area would be an easy commute to Kent with no freeway. Kent-Des Moines Road. My parents lived in Des Moines until they passed away. It has a Marina and salt water parks that are nice. Only thing is be sure you are close to the water and no where near Hiway 99 also known as Pacific Hiway.
I agree the entire Seattle/Tacoma area is a traffic nightmare most all the time. But this person is coming from So Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 PM

52 posts, read 192,449 times
I second the Des Moines suggestion. But yes, stay away from Pac Highway and you can find some decent neighborhoods. But I also like the suggestion of living right in Kent.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM

234 posts, read 499,027 times
Hi, I live and work in Kent and used to live in Seattle. I think coming from West seattle would be doable if you took I-5 south all the way to 518 or 277 and cut over that way. I think that commute would take about 35-40 minutes. My sons teacher last year came from West Seattle and she said it wasn't too bad heading south, which you would be doing. It sounds to me like you wouldn't be very happy living down here as it is pretty much suburbia. I would say try West Seattle and if it doesn't work out you can always take a look at some of the other places around here.

Right now I am actually looking for a home in Renton. Renton is sandwiched between Kent and Bellevue on the south end of Lake Washington. A number of my coworkers live there. You can get to Kent in about 15-20 minutes, be in downton Seattle in about 20 minutes, and Bellevue in 10 to 15 (as long as you are not heading in during rush hour). It has a lot of new development downtown like restaraunts, apts, a new movie theater etc, and lots of great outdoor activities (bike trails, parks) in town. Might be an alternative worth checking out.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
This looks like an old post (from 2010?), but if I just wanted to reply because I am about to do the exact move. I'm relocating from SD to Seattle to work in Kent, WA. Did you find a great neighborhood? If so, where? How did you find the traffic compared to SD? Do you miss CA? I've been to Seattle a lot, and it's a great city, but I love SD too!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area