Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times

Advertisements

Hello there, first of all I would like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to read my post, all responses will be greatly appreciated. Well either in July or August me and my boyfriend will be moving to Seattle (yes we are gay) we are both in out 20's. I have a good resume, I've worked in retail managent, customer service, adminastrative office, veterinary assistant, and pest control, can anyone tell me how the job market currently is. I am aware that it can change by the time we do move. what about housing, I know we would like to be as close to downtown or to sea-tac as much as possible. I know initially we do not want to spend to much on rent but at the same time we don't want to live in the ghetto either, any advise on that?
Really guys any and all information you have to share will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you again..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
The economy is not the greatest, but that could pass by the time you get here.

What constitutes "too much" on housing? At least check into Capitol Hill.

While we do have unsavory areas, most people (esp. from the east) would say we don't have Ghettos.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

161 posts, read 559,924 times
Just wanted to add that even if you decide NOT to live in Capital Hill,you can still find some nice places in the CD. In fact more people I know are moving up past 14th on Capital Hill ( so right at the top where Group health,Safeway, and a few shops and bars are located;on 15th). Maybe I'm getting older,but Capital Hill has lost it's "flava".

Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Welcome to Seattle . I find it funny that you mentioned in parenthesis "yes, we are gay." LOL. Don't worry about that here, Seattle is very gay friendly, no need to explain yourselves either.

The job situation here mirrors the greater nation - we're lagging a bit, but unemployment is no worse than the rest of the nation. I'm sure you could find something to do up here given your diverse work experience. One cool job may be working for The Stranger, an alternative (which in Seattle is almost the norm) lifestyle newspaper, lots of cool stuff is written in there.

Insofar as where to live, it really does depend on what you're looking for. Capitol Hill is one option, downtown itself is an option, and Queen Anne is another. Ballard is fun, Fremont is cool, the UW is ... noisy, and dirty. West Seattle is GORGEOUS. Pretty much anywhere in Seattle would be good. The only place that is a little seedy is the Rainier Valley and Beacon Hill neighborhoods. South Park is right out too.

I wouldn't live in Seatac either. There's just way too many prostitution rings and drugs and stupid kid gangs for my liking.

Pretty much anywhere else is just fine, IMO. Be prepared for a much higher cost of living though ... it's not unheard of for a 1 bedroom to cost 1200 or more a month.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Don't expect the amazing weather you're getting to be the norm. LOL

Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM

217 posts, read 561,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Maybe I'm getting older,but Capital Hill has lost it's "flava".
Capital Hill has indeed lost its "flava".

Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times
SeaTac..... gangs, prostitutes and drugs huh? I guess i'll be staying clear of that area...... Thx

Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM

62 posts, read 62,139 times
Capitol Hill is awesome for a young gay man (I know cause I live here ha). Great bars and clubs, coffee shops and cafes, great restaurants, very gay friendly, close to downtown, and such a great eclectic neighborhood all around. I personally think theres no better neighborhood in Seattle but I guess I am biased lol. It can be pricey for apartments on the hill (much more expensive than vegas) but a one bedroom split between you and your boyfriend can go a long ways for sure but be prepared to pay anywhere from $1000-$1400 for a nice(as in newer or refurbished vintage) one bedroom. There are cheaper ones but obviously they will be older buildings. Me and my boyfriend are currently looking for an apartment together on the hill and thats generally what i'm seeing in terms of prices for apartments that I would want to live in.

All in all your gonna love the hill and Seattle in general

Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
.............Pretty much anywhere else is just fine, IMO. Be prepared for a much higher cost of living though ... it's not unheard of for a 1 bedroom to cost 1200 or more a month.
My daughter is moving to Seattle - she showed me some of the apt/condos - more for a 1br1ba than my mortgage payment!!!!!!!!!! She thought the Queen Anne area looked nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area