Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how you NYers adapted. I mean theres only one thing to adapt to, the weather! The rest is just a bonus. So is there anyone out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,481 times
Default I'm a Jerseygirl!

Moved to the Seattle area about 7 years ago. Like any other place you live, there are going to be things you like and dislike. The weather hasn't bothered me but I always did despise the extreme cold weather and shoveling snow and wearing 3 layers of clothing to go out. You can forget about humid days and mosquitos out here. You can actually be outside past dawn and not get eaten alive by those pesty bugs. The summers out here are just amazing, but short. I would say spring and fall are a mix of sun and overcast/rain but mostly overcast days and as the summer approaches it gets less to where it is rare for it to rain in July and August. Then the cycle starts again in September. Mix of sun and clouds and you get more and more cloudy/rainy days as winter approaches. If you hate the east coast weather, you will adjust easily (if you are moving here). I have my opinions about the people and you will too. I wish I had better luck at making some good friendships which was quite the opposite in the New Jersey. Other than that, I would say lots of "bonuses" and the weather doesn't really bother me at all so overall, a great place to live.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Moved to the Seattle area about 7 years ago. Like any other place you live, there are going to be things you like and dislike. The weather hasn't bothered me but I always did despise the extreme cold weather and shoveling snow and wearing 3 layers of clothing to go out. You can forget about humid days and mosquitos out here. You can actually be outside past dawn and not get eaten alive by those pesty bugs. The summers out here are just amazing, but short. I would say spring and fall are a mix of sun and overcast/rain but mostly overcast days and as the summer approaches it gets less to where it is rare for it to rain in July and August. Then the cycle starts again in September. Mix of sun and clouds and you get more and more cloudy/rainy days as winter approaches. If you hate the east coast weather, you will adjust easily (if you are moving here). I have my opinions about the people and you will too. I wish I had better luck at making some good friendships which was quite the opposite in the New Jersey. Other than that, I would say lots of "bonuses" and the weather doesn't really bother me at all so overall, a great place to live.
I would have to say that moving to a place with "NO" humidity and "BUGS" would be worth the move all by its self! Yes, Im looking forward to it. (moving)
People are people, no attitude is a plus in my book. Though over time Im sure having a few friends with tudes would be entertaining.! Wow this is great, thanks for replying! Hows the pizza out there?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Pizza in Washington

Well, lets just say I found only one good pizza place in the 7 years I have lived here and it's all the way on Whidbey Island in a small town of Langley. I think it's called Village Pizza. The pizza is excellent and as close as you are going to get to NY pizza. I think the owners are from New York which explains why it's so good. Another food you will miss is bagels. Don't eat them often but when you can't get them, boy do you miss them. LOL

Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Well, lets just say I found only one good pizza place in the 7 years I have lived here and it's all the way on Whidbey Island in a small town of Langley. I think it's called Village Pizza. The pizza is excellent and as close as you are going to get to NY pizza. I think the owners are from New York which explains why it's so good. Another food you will miss is bagels. Don't eat them often but when you can't get them, boy do you miss them. LOL
Yeah Bagels are HUGE hear, and I enjoy them, but can do with a Lenders!
So whats a good food there?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Food

If you like fish, you are in luck, especially salmon. In the spring time there is copper river salmon which I have yet to try but everyone raves about it. It's seasonal; I believe the season is April and May. Lots of great shell fish and fillet type fish. Pike Place Market in Seattle seems to be the place everyone gets fresh fish. Another food that is great out here is Thai food. I tried it for the first time when I moved out here and I am hooked on it. I don't particularly like the chinese food on the west coasts. It's a little different and prepared much different than "Chinatown" in the NYC which IMO has the best chinese food other than probably China. LOL

Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
If you like fish, you are in luck, especially salmon. In the spring time there is copper river salmon which I have yet to try but everyone raves about it. It's seasonal; I believe the season is April and May. Lots of great shell fish and fillet type fish. Pike Place Market in Seattle seems to be the place everyone gets fresh fish. Another food that is great out here is Thai food. I tried it for the first time when I moved out here and I am hooked on it. I don't particularly like the chinese food on the west coasts. It's a little different and prepared much different than "Chinatown" in the NYC which IMO has the best chinese food other than probably China. LOL
Oh yeah!! I love Thai food, its a spicey version of chinese food!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM

9 posts, read 36,117 times
and dont forget taylor ham and sabretts. Dont have them here in Spokane and I only get my fix when I go to the mother country of NJ!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Scott4

Definitely agree Sabretts are the best hot dog!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:18 AM

No Sabretts? That sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area