Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM

92 posts, read 473,457 times

Advertisements

Hi All.
We have moved around alot the past few years (due to job) and now returning to the Seattle area late spring permanently. We are a family of 4 with two small kids one entering kindergarten next year. Husband works long hours and travels and I am a stay at home mom so we don't need a huge yard, but a little patch of grass with a fence. I am 90% sure we will choose the Issaquah Highlands. We like the area for it's schools and quick access to the freeway. We are planning on renting first and then buying. We have been gone for a few years and I do want to ask a few questions about this neighborhood since I am not in the area currently.

Do you live there and if so what are cons and pros?
Grand Ridge Elem, is it crowded?
What about the Montessori up there? Good or Bad?

In general, what do you like or dislike about this area? Are rentals few and far bewteen? I haven't seen much at all in the highlands.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
I currently live in the Issaquah Highlands (renting), and I love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleborn View Post
Do you live there and if so what are cons and pros?
There are so many pros. Beautiful neighborhood, tons of parks, lots of families. The cons right now are the fact that the retail core still isn't built, the price of homes, if it snows (did in Jan 2008 and Dec 2008) you can't get up or down the hill without chains or 4 wheel drive.

Quote:
Grand Ridge Elem, is it crowded?
My kids are only 1 and 2, but I've heard from other moms, that the school filled up so quickly that they've already erected trailer classrooms. I don't have firsthand experience, though.

Quote:
What about the Montessori up there? Good or Bad?
I live right across the street from the Montessori school. I've been researching it for when my son is old enough, and I've only read/heard good things about it.

When we moved here in July 2007 there was 1 house for rent (under $2200/month) when I was looking. I actually rent a townhome from the apartment complex up here (I think it's called Wynhaven at the Highlands now, they've changed ownership since we moved here). They actually have several townhouse plans that aren't near the main apartment complex, but mixed in with the houses in the community, so you don't feel like you're living in an apartment at all. We have a 3 bedroom 2 bath townhome with a 2 car garage. Most people don't realize it's a rental when they visit us.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me!

V. =)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM

84 posts, read 243,796 times
My brother lives there. I would never be able to live there. And frankly, the whole development disgusts me. Every house exactly the same as the ones next to it, and the ones next to those. Yuck.

But in any case, what is the name of the Montessori school? Is it AMI/AMS accredited? That is very important.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Grand Ridge Elem is very crowded now but that should be alleviated a bit with Creekside Elem opening up on the Plateau next fall. 65% of Sunny Hills is headed to Creekside and much of that student body is being replaced with kids who are currently at GRE (though no kids from IH will be bused to SH I believe). SH currently houses 2 K classes from GRE. Kindergarten is not full day here by law and GRE has been so crowded in the past the full day is almost an impossibility at GRE. I would be surprised if that changed because the demographic is such that many families with very small children would live there and be matriculating. A quick call to the principal there might help to see what projections are.

Cons of IH IMO (my very good friends live in a beautiful house there) are it is very congested and the streets can be very narrow with cars parked on the street. There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the infrastructure that was planned years ago due to Microsoft pulling out of the area. Also, I believe the HOA assesses a hefty fee when you sell your house in IH that goes back to the HOA. In a state that already has an exit tax of almost 2% on top of a realtor commission and then you add another 1-1.5% fee to move out or up in IH, that's substantial. My friends do not believe the HOA is financially healthy right now due to many people not paying their HOA fees due to the economy. Again, not Gospel truth but I would ask that question of a few different people and not your realtor who is trying to sell you a house up there.

Pros - beautiful area, great parks, walkability to restaurants, great access to I-90 and the Park N Ride.

We didn't end up buying there because we didn't feel it was worth the extra $30K for a smaller house with no yard. We ended up right near Pine Lake with HOA access to the lake for a good bit less money with a large lot with mature trees. I wouldn't trade it. But I do think IH is less expensive now.

There is a Montessori school near IH. It's Bellevue Montessori - the Pine Lake campus, I believe. I don't know anything about it other than the name. Issaquah schools are so good that you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. Helpful to buy in a good school district when going private just in cases finances ever all through.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area