Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 35,289 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle from the Midwest a couple of years ago. I have read many posts on this forum referring to Seattle residents as "open-minded" and yet I find if they disagree with a political opinion I have they become very defensive and prickly. Yes this is a stereotype but one that seems reinforced every day. Anyone here run up against the same double-standard of "open-mindedness" yet "set in their ways"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
That's Seattle for you. LOL. It is open-minded in ways where races are not used against a person's character and such.

But politically speaking, I wouldn't agree that its "open-minded" but definitely "set in their ways". FDR once said: "The 47 United States and the Soviet of WA." So there's a long history of Leftism. The only cure for that is simply do NOT talk about Politics.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,278 times
You could say that we are reality-minded. Kidding!! (a little)

Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
They are open minded provided that you agree with their agenda.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That's Seattle for you. LOL. It is open-minded in ways where races are not used against a person's character and such.

But politically speaking, I wouldn't agree that its "open-minded" but definitely "set in their ways". FDR once said: "The 47 United States and the Soviet of WA." So there's a long history of Leftism. The only cure for that is simply do NOT talk about Politics.

I don't think they knew for sure who said that.

According this this, it was attributed to FDR's Postmaster and national Democratic Party leader, James Farley but he denied it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
ummm I'm pretty sure everyone is like that. and if they don't think so, they just haven't figured it out yet.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
ummm I'm pretty sure everyone is like that. and if they don't think so, they just haven't figured it out yet.
Exactly, I said this before but I'm sure if I went to Oklahoma City and spoke my political views, I would be met with the same amount of "set in their wayness" LOL.

Sometimes us liberals are left with little choice but to defend ourselves. It's not like we have that many places to go LOL.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM

18 posts, read 46,173 times
I also think it's worth noting that many Seattle residents who may be liberal leaning originally are from other areas of the country. Seattle proper is a young city, generationally speaking, compared to Midwest and East coast cities. Many are drawn here because of it's reputation to be 'open minded' to social, environmental, and cultural issues - or at least, indifferent to those issues.
Perhaps being open-minded to those issues does not necessarily constitute an open mindedness to a political leaning(?)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
They are open minded provided that you agree with their agenda.
Spot on Azoria!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
The definition of open minded is "Willing to consider new and different ideas or opinions". You will find things on the ballot in Seattle and Washington state like allowing benefits for same-sex partners, taxing plastic bags, medically assisted suicide, etc. and strong environmental initiatives. Those are not ideas that are on the ballots in most states. So if it means willing to consider a broader range of ideas, yes I think so. I am a conservative and I rather enjoy seeing what will be on the ballot next. Some of it I am even compelled to vote for. So it's been good for this Republican to live in this state and think a bit broader. Some things I just won't change my mind about but others I have surprised even myself on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area