U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 30,048 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I should be working in a few months near the Cougar Mountain area of Bellevue... near Lakemont Blvd. I was wondering what some nearby areas that would be nice to live (we're a young family) in if my budget is for rent no more than $1,000 a month? I don't have many more requirements than that...

Would Fremont area of Seattle be pretty far away for commuting or any of those northern parts of Seattle? Would it be better to live in Bellevue or somewhere else?

I don't want to commute to far but I'd like to live in a scenic area that would have some things to do... or just close to Seattle.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

271 posts, read 615,623 times
It's a pretty long commute from the northern part of Seattle to the Cougar Mountain area and, depending on the time of day traffic could be a nightmare.

As far as commute goes Bellevue would be better but more expensive.

If you could do with a 1 or maybe 2 small bedroom apartment $1,000/month rent is possible but if you need a house, forget about Bellevue.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM

7,751 posts, read 14,660,155 times
Look into Renton, maybe even Newcastle, Newport Hills or North Bend. Its better to live in the southern and eastern areas. Check into Craigslist.

Bellevue probably would be a huge reach for under $1,000/mo. If you don't want to commute, then living in Fremont is out as i90 rush hour traffic is just insane. Same goes for Northern parts of Seattle.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,295,509 times
I'll jump the gun on Ira here, but I'd suggest living in Northern Renton, Newcastle, Eastgate or Factoria (which are all basically the same general area on a map). Why involve a highway in your commute if you don't have to?

Those places will also have the cheap rent you're looking for.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks guys... yeah, apartments are fine for us right now (our baby will be only a couple months old when we're there). 1-2 bedrooms would work. You're right, commuting is not what I want to be doing... esp. with such a little one in our lives that I want to spend time with in the evenings! We might be able to get up to $1300 a month but I was hoping less...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM

What about Bellevue? Would the commute be short? I realize it's expensive there... but I think maybe it would have more to offer us (although I'm not as familiar with suburbs outside Seattle...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM

7,751 posts, read 14,660,155 times
Sure the commute would be short, as Cougar Mt. borders Bellevue.

As mentioned above: Eastgate, Factoria, Newport Hills and parts of New Castle are Bellevue's suburbs. We were narrowing down the areas of Bellevue for you.

There are even a couple of apts on W. Lake Sammamish where you could just drive up the hill onto Lakemont Blvd. (don't know the rents rate though).

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM

ahhh, thanks, I got it. Actually I think Newcastle is pretty close to where I would be working. I also think it has a high Asian population? Which would be nice (although unnecessary) as we're coming from Thailand... would like to be near Asian grocery stores, etc.

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,565,757 times
The Renton Highlands has a big Viet Wah supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatnolonger? View Post
ahhh, thanks, I got it. Actually I think Newcastle is pretty close to where I would be working. I also think it has a high Asian population? Which would be nice (although unnecessary) as we're coming from Thailand... would like to be near Asian grocery stores, etc.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area