Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I are looking to buy a home.

Ideally we'd love to buy in Issaquah, Redmond, or Bellevue, but that's just not realistic for us (well, our budget).

We have 2 children and they are 1 and 2 years old.

We have 2 main concerns when looking for a house: We want to be near good schools, and my husband wants his public transit commute to be an hour or less.

I've found some homes in different cities that are near highly rated elementary schools, but the middle schools and high schools are mediocre or worse. So, my question is, should I only be concerned with elementary schools right now, because so much can change in 10-12 years, or is it possible a place with good elementary schools right now, but crappy secondary schools is on it's way down and not up, and those areas shouldn't be considered at all?

Also, I don't really want to have to move once my kids start school. I know that might seem unrealistic, but I growing up (from birth until college) my mom moved us over 30 times (out of financial necessity), and it was so traumatic for me, that if I can avoid it at all, I do not want my kids to ever have to change schools.

Some of the places we're considering are Renton, Auburn, and Shoreline.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Well, who knows where Education is going to? I think the best marker you should look at is High schools because it will really determine where the kid go in the next step of life. It should definitely have great feeder schools as well.

Why not include Woodinville, Bothell as well? Northshore SD is also one of the best.

Renton, Auburn and Shoreline schools are... ok. But nice places to live. Renton has areas that are covered by the Issaquah school district.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Even a school district with good elementary and good middle schools can get worse.
In those school districts with good elementary and bad middle schools, it's not usually the case that every middle school is awful. There's usually one school in those districts that's far better than the others.
Some people buy a house in a school district that's good not because of their children, but because they believe it will have a higher resale value/be easier to sell, and that's also valid.
But there are schools in districts that have problem schools that also have schools where there's a good atmosphere of learning and a lot of parent involvement.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
I know you like the area you're in now. Have you looked at the inventory in Klahanie? There are some affordable homes up there.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
I'm an ex-San Diegan who moved to Washington state and lived there for 4 years. We had 2 small children at the time and I was a SAHM. We ended up choosing Maple Valley. We heard the Tahoma school district was very good and it was. My hubby had offices in both Tukwilla and Bellevue. Each way was about a 25 minute commute. We shopped in Issaquah (Costco, PCC Co-Op). In fact our Drs, dentists and Orthodontists all were in Issaquah. Our home was much more affordible in MV and a lot less then it would have been in Issaquah or Renton. MV was a safe little town with great people. The only drawbacks were the communte, lack of restaurants and shopping and quality physicians/dentists.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 AM

260 posts, read 768,664 times
Bainbridge Island has the top or close to the top scores for schools.
35 min. ferry commute to downtown.
Really Safe location.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
Bainbridge Island has the top or close to the top scores for schools.
35 min. ferry commute to downtown.
Really Safe location.
Yes, I was going to suggest Bainbridge, although it is still pretty pricey. A more affordable place to look might be Fall City? The elementary and middle school are supposed to be good, and if the high school is Mt. Si that is supposed to be good too. Kind of depends whata you have in mind. Not sure about public transportation options, probably would have to drive to Bellevue then take the bus into Seattle. Fall City Elementary School - Fall City, Washington - WA - School overview
Fall City Community Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area