Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 38,779 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I have a couple questions about hotels/motels in the area...

My husband and I will be taking a short trip to Seattle in May to check out the city, neighborhoods, etc. as we're considering relocating there in a year or two. Mostly we plan to walk around and explore, take public transportation to various neighborhoods, and probably rent a car for a day to check out the surrounding areas.

It seems the cheapest motels are near the airport, but I'm wondering if that would end up being a huge inconvenience. If we stayed out there, would we be able to get into and out of the city easily via public transportation? About how long a commute is it? Is the transportation into the city very expensive (compared to renting a car and paying for parking)? We really won't be spending any time in the motel other than sleeping, so we don't care if it's crappy as long as it's safe. I imagine we might be returning to our room late at night, so I don't want to be worried about getting there safely.

Would appreciate any advice or even lodging suggestions in the area, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Well, I would suggest if you decide to stay at the airport motels, just rent the car for the duration of your stay. When you guys are in the mood to check out DT Seattle, just go north on Hwy99 (which is where most of the airport hotels is on, anyways) and either stop @ the Airport station or the Seatac Station for the Light rail. You can park your car for free and pay $2.50 (to Westlake Station which is basically in the heart of DT).

I don't know what neighborhoods you're looking to check out, but the closer to DT you are, the more competition for parking. On-street parking have a 2hr "limit" and parking garages can get a bit pricey.

With no traffic, the airport area is about 15-20 minutes away from DT. Just don't drive during Rush hour.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
I was just out in Seattle, and I stayed at America's Best Value Inn, on International Boulevard. It was cheap and clean -- pretty much like a Motel 6. To get into town, I rented a car and hopped on I-5. I was downtown within about 20 minutes. Even in rush hour, it only took half an hour or so.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,229 times
Default Southcenter

Check around the Southcenter area. There are some decently priced Motels/Hotels. A Hampton Inn, Courtyard,Residence Inn. The park and ride is closeby in Tukwila.Hop this helps.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,634 times
We stay near the airport sometimes and when we want to go downtown Sea we take public transpo but the other days when we want to go outside the city we take the shuttle back to the airport and rent a car.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,634 times
Sound Transit: Ride the Wave. Light rail is great for getting to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: