Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 31,809 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am single 28 yr old AA female who will be relocating to Seattle in June, I would like your opinions on the Renton, Tukwila, and Federal Way as places to live

I spoke with an older women who lives in South Seattle and she suggested these places as good places to find an apartments, I would like to live in a diverse area, in close proxmity to the following ameniteis (grocery stores, shops, resturants, bookstores, etc). Although I will have a car, I would like easy access to public transportation and I-5. My job will have me working three days at the Seattle VA and 2 days at the Tacoma VA

Any information would be helpful

thx in advance

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: went ahead and edited Tuskawila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Federal Way would be closer to the Tacoma VA, Renton and Tukwila a little closer to the Seattle VA. Tukwila and Federal Way both have big shopping malls, and neither of them has a real downtown. Renton and Tukwila are both just a quick bus ride or train ride into downtown Seattle, and Renton also has good bus service to Bellevue.
Renton seems to me to have more independently owned restaurants, where Tukwila and Federal Way have their share of chain places. Renton has a quirky old downtown area that has antique stores, art galleries, restaurants, espresso places, a cupcake place, an Irish pub....Renton and Tukwila border each other, and downtown Renton is about a ten minute drive from Tukwila's Southcenter Mall.
All of them are diverse, and all of them have both good and bad areas.
To me, Renton has the strongest sense of community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shante82 View Post
Hello

I am single 28 yr old AA female who will be relocating to Seattle in June, I would like your opinions on the Renton, Tukwila, and Federal Way as places to live

I spoke with an older women who lives in South Seattle and she suggested these places as good places to find an apartments, I would like to live in a diverse area, in close proxmity to the following ameniteis (grocery stores, shops, resturants, bookstores, etc). Although I will have a car, I would like easy access to public transportation and I-5. My job will have me working three days at the Seattle VA and 2 days at the Tacoma VA

Any information would be helpful

Federal Way would be closer to the Tacoma VA, Renton and Tukwila a little closer to the Seattle VA. Tukwila and Federal Way both have big shopping malls, and neither of them has a real downtown. Renton and Tukwila are both just a quick bus ride or train ride into downtown Seattle, and Renton also has good bus service to Bellevue.
Renton seems to me to have more independently owned restaurants, where Tukwila and Federal Way have their share of chain places. Renton has a quirky old downtown area that has antique stores, art galleries, restaurants, espresso places, a cupcake place, an Irish pub....Renton and Tukwila border each other, and downtown Renton is about a ten minute drive from Tukwila's Southcenter Mall.
All of them are diverse, and all of them have both good and bad areas.
To me, Renton has the strongest sense of community.

thx in advance

Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Don't forget that Tukwila has easy access to the light rail (both stations are technically in Seatac, but are on the border with Tukwila) which would take you to DT Seattle and also has the Longacres Sounder station which has the commuter train going to Tacoma (if you work the 9-5 job)-- but I don't know if the Tacoma VA is close to the station or not.

Tukwila and Federal Way have easier access to I5 than Renton does.

For the amenities that you listed, Federal Way has a bit more to offer than Tukwila (Southcenter). Federal Way also has easy access to Dash Point which is a beautiful beach area, very forresty.

Depending on where you are in Tukwila, you have to go a little further out for groceries (the closest grocery to Southcenter would be Safeway which is in the McMickens area-- I usually have to go out to Burien, or Renton if I don't want to shop @ Safeway.)

All of them are diverse.

I would also suggest you look into Des Moines as well, which is between Tukwila and Federal Way. It is a bit quiet, but has a great marina and beach.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM

297 posts, read 1,034,869 times
Shante 82-

I would recommend Tukwila near the light rail station. There are plenty of apartments in that area and it's very close to I-5 for commuting to both Seattle and Tacoma. It's also close to the airport.

There is plenty of diversity in that area. Almost any nationality you can think of is represented.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
Honestly, if you are single 28 year old woman, no kids, I wouldn't suggest any of those areas. The only thing they have going for them are the "affordable" areas in between the two areas.

But if you can drive just 20 minutes more, move to Seattle areas itself. Live the experience of Seattle, and have more things available to you, more culture.

Those areas you mentioned I find are families who need affordable houses/homes and worry about their commutes.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Got to respectfully disagree with CityGirl here, sort of:
If you are a 28 year old single woman with no kids, the only one of the three that I'd consider is Renton.
Downtown Renton at least has some semblance of culture and some fun places to go, even for a single 28 year old woman. Federal way and Tukwila might be convenient and affordable, but much less of a community feeling.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 11,156 times
I have lived in Tukwila for 35 years and LOVE it! Our Community is very strong and Awesome if you give it a try...the new HUGE rebuilt mall and shopping strip is great...along with having Light Rail to Downtown Seattle and the Sounder station train to Tacoma is only minutes away. Tukwila has a wonderful Community Center with many gatherings and opportunities for adult sports teams such as softball, volleyball, basketball, swimming, biking, bowling, working out etc. There are always going to be area that are not as nice such as close to highway 99 (International Blvd) but there are many great areas such as closer to Foster Golf course and City Hall. 5-8 of us walk a few times a week around our Tukwila neighborhood and all say how lucky we are to live where we do....so much to do and so easy to get to where we need to go.
Renton is nice to hang out at on the weekends and bar hop but no thank you for the traffic coming and going...and yes downtown DesMoines is a great place also...but then you only have the buses for transportation or driving yourself. Wonderful place to go on the weekends...Good luck!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
To the OP: Ken Griffey Jr. used to live in Renton. You never know. You might like it.

Here is a profile of Renton,WA //www.city-data.com/city/Renton-Washington.html

Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 11,011 times
I wouldn't plan to take the Sounder train to Tacoma for the Tacoma VA. It is nowhere close. I am assuming you would be at the American Lake VA? You would be better off driving to Tacoma those two days. I would recommend Seattle, given your age and situtation. The drive south to Tacoma is going against traffic and should be a breeze. All communities you are looking at are good, but have their negatives. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM

197 posts, read 612,605 times
If you want to date Army guys and Air Force guys, those areas are great. Not really that pretty of an area compared to other places in the Seattle / Tacoma footprint, but you are right, the cost of living is less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area