U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,380,405 times

Advertisements

Just taking an informal survey. Would you say Seattle is a very urban city with lots of things to do and plenty to keep someone who lives there entertained?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 PM

7,736 posts, read 14,269,739 times
Very urban? Eh. But they're trying to make it more urban.

But there are lots of things to do, things to see, places to go within/without DT Seattle.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,058,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Just taking an informal survey. Would you say Seattle is a very urban city with lots of things to do and plenty to keep someone who lives there entertained?
No, I would not say that Seattle is a very urban city in the same vein as NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, or even Boston is, but they have indeed been trying to come off as more urban. It's not like Seattle lacks things to do, and there's plenty to keep one entertained.
However, in their quest to appear as a hip, sophisticated urban oasis, sometimes Seattle comes off as a bit pretentious, very taken with itself.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 PM

253 posts, read 891,614 times
Seattle and Bellevue both are getting more urban and cosmo but I don't think it's like a SF or NY kinda urban vibe - or even a Vancouver urban vibe. It's more suburban meets urban (if that makes sense).

Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM

197 posts, read 566,838 times
It depends on what entertains you -
If you are young, childless, and have some time, money and a car, you can have a lot of fun. There is skiing, downtown clubs, hiking, concerts, convention center programs, and live shows.
If you are family with young children, it gets tougher to find activities that are close by and don't involve a lot of money. But you can find things if you keep your eyes peeled.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:29 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
Seattle and Bellevue both are getting more urban and cosmo but I don't think it's like a SF or NY kinda urban vibe - or even a Vancouver urban vibe. It's more suburban meets urban (if that makes sense).
I think it is an important point to remember that the Seattle metro is a unique combination of urban/suburban. It really is neither. Because it is a relatively young city, and because many who formed the city were quite urban, the result has been a combination of urban sensibilities, and suburban sprawl. Kind of a NY mentality combined with an LA mentality. The result is the Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue metro.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,159,668 times
Seattle is Denver urban. Not NYC/Boston/Chicago urban.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,213,754 times
Seattle is much more dense than Denver, but I would say thats a somewhat good comparison. It's somewhere in the middle of NYC and Atlanta

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,038,452 times
As a parent with younger children, I have to say that Seattle (and the surrounding areas) has some wonderful parks and also lakeside parks. They are kept in really good shape too. I have lived in Denver and I think Seattle has a slight edge on urbanness but it's JMO.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:11 AM

6,396 posts, read 11,798,074 times
It depends on what someone thinks "urban" is. What does "urban" mean to you? Does urban mean high density, very racially diverse, and urban amenties such as museums theatre music good restaurants good coffee places and urban amenities like that?

I am from New York City, and I actually feel Seattle does satisfy my city tastes with its amenities, events, and architecture in a lot of places. I think the difference with Seattle compared to places like New York is it starts feeling "not very urban" much faster going further away from downtown and neighborhoods near downtown. And it can feel not very urban more easily than places like New York City but thats not always a bad thing. I feel like for some Seattle does feel very urban for some while for others not as much. Seattle and the area still also feels racially diverse enough for me. However, it feels more racially diverse certain times than others. It depends on what neighborhood someone is in and what places someone goes to. Sometimes Seattle and the area feels evenly divided in percentage of all races while other times it can feel like its very very all white.

I like that Seattle is more connected to nature than New York City, and more laid back less crowded and more slow paced(which I enjoy) I dont know any place in America that is as good with the urban but connected to nature feel as Seattle and I respect this about Seattle.

I dissagree with Ira 500(sorry). Seattle really does feel like a sophisticated urban oasis at times. It really depends on what someone decides to do in the area and what areas they decide to go to. Thats from my experience. Even in NYC, the place might not feel like a sophisticated urban oasis depending on the lifestyle of someone and the person someone surrounds themselves with.

Some examples of great "urban amenities/events" seattle offers, facts about Seattle, and certain places in Seattle: 1. Seattle is rated "most educated city" in America based on percentage of people with bachelor degrees 2. Seattle has the highest percentage of interracial relationships in America 3. Seattle is rated "second most vegetarian friendly" city in America. 4. Seattle was rated in this one survey as second for Environmental awareness out of all American cities 5. Seattle is one of the most politically liberal cities in America 6. Seattle's skyline in this one survey was rated 4th best in America(After NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco) 7. Seattle in this one survey was rated in the top 10 places in America for music events, theatre, museums, restaurant scene, coffee places, public transportation and other things like that 8. Seattle rated "50th" in the worlds most habitable cities( NYC was rated 49th!) Only two American cities surpassed Seattle and NYC (Chicago and Portland Oregon)9. Bill Gates who created Microsoft is from the Seattle area and lives in the Seattle area(without microsoft computers wouldnt have been more readily accessible to the masses as quickly) 10. Boeing came from Seattle(one of the two main airplane manufacturers in the world other than Airbus 11. The music scene is MUCH more than grunge let me name some great non grunge bands from the area: The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Eddie Vedder, Pretty Girls Make Graves , Blue Scholars, other 12. Amazon.com is from the area Some urban events:13.Seattle International Film Festival(one of the biggest film festivals in North America )14. Seattle "Artopia" 15. Seattle Hempfest. Other events Ill know more about them Certain urban amenities in Seattle: 16. Seattle Art Museum 17. The museum of flight 18. This asian museum I forgot the name of 19. Northwest Film Forum 20. Photographic Center Northwest 21. Certain amazing restaurants such as Indian, Thai, Vegetarian restaurants (I can name 10+ for Indian, 10+ for Thai, 5 for asian vegetarian) 22. Certain amazing coffee places that are NOT starbucks (I can easily name 20+)23. The Seattle skyline view from Alki Beach West Seattle 24. The Seattle skyline view from the ferry between downtown and Bainbridge Island/Bremerton/Vashion Island 25. The Seattle skyline from areas of Queene Anne 26. The Capital Hill neighborhood 27. The Queene Anne neighborhood 28. The University District neighborhood 29. The Fremont neighborhood 30. The Ballard neighborhood 31. The Belltown neighborhood 32. Much more things about Seattle and it being "urban"

Do you want me to give you the links for some of these Seattle facts, urban amenities, events and so on? This is my 15th day living in Seattle so over time, so Ill know even more about the Seattle area and all it offers.

By the way Ira500 i liked this post you had in the "why isnt seattle classified as a world class city" thread, and I agree. Im annoyed how some people on "city data" seem to look down upon places that arent big cities. I am from New York City but I can respect places that are not big cities like NYC. The big cities wouldnt exist if it wasnt for the food grown in areas that arent big cities, and some people seem to forget how much we have to rely on the natural resources Earth has and how we need to protect these areas for Earth to not collapse. I feel like there should be progressive sophisticated investment in places that arent big cities as well and not just big cities. Every place on Earth CANT BE a big city. It wouldnt be sustainable at all.

Even though Seattle is "less urban" than New York City in some ways, I'll take Seattle any day over New York CityThere are certain things I like about New York and what it represents but some things I truly dislike about that place, the quality of life with certain things, and what it represents. And I am a "cultured, urban" type of person. I am very picky too. If I decide to not live in Seattle, it would be San Francisco and if it wasnt San Francisco, I would likely go back to live In New York.

I actually plan to become an architect, so hopefully I can be an architect for Seattle one day=) I would be an architect for the people, and not for corporate interests.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-07-2010 at 03:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area