Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,837 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from Florida to the Seattle area...Wondered where we would fit in.....We are 48 and 55 and want to have a home with an art studio that we could live/work. Thinking of Pt. Townsend, Pt Charlotte, Gigs Harbor, Poulsbo, etc.....What small towns are least expensive, most scenic and would allow a live/work situation? Our home budget would be around $250,000 but would of course rather rent first.... Thanks for any advice on small town areas in Washington State with reasonable rents but must be near art and within apprx. 30 minutes of the big city.

Last edited by mikawilde; 03-16-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Port Townsend would be a lovely place to be an artist or a writer. I'm not familiar with Port Charlotte, except in Florida, somewhere near Sarasota. Gig Harbor is pretty, but it's not inexpensive and really doesn't have an abundance of artists or writers. Poulbso is charming.
But keep in mind that home prices fell a lot further in FL than they did here, so 250,000 will get you a big, nice,comfortable home in a safe area in many places in Florida, but rarely in the Seattle area.
So...a few more places to add to the list:

Bremerton: Regarded by some as a scuzzy ghetto,Bremerton has lots of artists and great views. The Manette district is quite nice. Less expensive real estate.

Mt.Vernon/Bow/Bayview/Edison: The Skagit Valley. A cool, magical place.

Whidbey Island, especially Langley and Coupeville: Unique, Western Washington beauty.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Thanks Ira

Thanks Ira......Sorry, I meant Pt. Orchard not Port Charlotte (yuckie)....we are from Sarasota (Longboat Key) and I have been a luxury Real Estate Broker there for several years and my husband a builder so we can build or fix up homes....I thank you and do understand what you are saying about our prices dropping but still we are one of the most expensive zip codes in Florida-not unlike your prices at all from what I am seeing on line.

We can pay alot more but the whole idea is to do our talents full time...we always did them but had to make a real living so could never quit and just paint and write........We don't want to go back to real jobs if possible. Looking forward to coming out in May......I see you are a realtor....when we choose a date, maybe you could work with us.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I think I get it. Making a good living is going to play second fiddle to being able to do what you want to do, painting and writing. So, while you may sell luxury real estate in Florida, when you move out here you'll have no interest in living in the kind of houses you sell?
Re-reading your original post, if you really want to live within half an hour or so of Seattle, that'll rule out Port Townsend, Whidbey Island, Poulsbo, and the Skagit Valley. They're all between an hour or two.
But Renton and Burien are within half an hour, have more reasonable housing costs, and have an arts presence. Neither of them are prestigious or known for having good school districts. But they both have charming downtowns..Also, consider the 98178 zip code. It's listed as Seattle, but it's outside the city limits, and, while it does have some scuzz in the zipcode, it also has nice views, houses with larger lots, and is very convenient to both Seattle and Bellevue. My wife and I moved to the zipcode 12 years ago when we downsized. Smaller house, larger lot, so I could pursue my gentleman farmer fantasy.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Thanks Ira

Yes, you get it.....We have done the luxury thing, just sold it all and want to live a simpler life so we want to watch the pennies....actually playing in Mexico right now but have decided we still want our home in the U.S...even with it's problems and taxes......I will scout out the places you mentioned but will probably just need to spend more to be in the hotter spots like Port Townsend, etc. We can deal with an hour away.....important to do what we want but also don't want to be too cheap-cause we are spoiled a little and do like sublime! We know as realtors....in the end you have to pay for that piece of paradise, location, location, location...thanks for the great insight.............

Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM

The artsiest of the places mentioned are Port Townsend and Langley, Whidbey Island, both very nice places. And the most magical is the Skagit Valley around Chuckanut Drive , around Bow/Bayview. Mountains, water, and fresh oysters. Artisan cheesemakers.Tulips. Insanely beautiful.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Thanks again Ira

Can't wait to see the places you mentioned....Looks like it will be a tough decision.....Will have to rent first so we make the right decision....Do you have any suggestions on rental agents? Also Ira, I know what the weather sites say but what about any problems accessing these towns in the winter? Do most people live year around or go away for the tough months? Fine with me to be shut in if necessary....I am originally from northern Michigan on Lake Michigan so I know dark, dreary, raining and cold!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Rental agents are something that mostly doesn't exist around here. Most people find rentals through craigslist, or nwsource.com, or some of the community newspapers like the Port Townsend Leader. Most people in all those places are year round residents, although Port Townsend and Whidbey Island get their share of tourists in the summer. There's no problem accessing these places in the winter. There's a ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey that sometimes get cancelled in very windy weather, but you don't need a ferry to access either one.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 AM

Default Thanks Ira

Sounds great.....I believe in signs.....yesterday a friend gave me a book....funny thing was it was a book all about that area.....then on top of that, while I was doing charity work here in Mexico, I met the nicest lady here visiting from Bellingham......Looking forward to coming and finding our place in May....Best Wishes....

Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,269 times
Por Townsend is really far out there, I would never recommend it someone who would like acess to Seattle. I lived in PT for a year and although summers are quite beautiful, I found it VERY boring after a while. The journey to Seattle gets very old very fast. In the winter the ferries are rough, yes you CAN drive there, but be prepared for a looooong one. Also, the cost of living is higher due to the remoteness. Im not trying to bash PT, I just feel that you could do better for the $$$ as it is expensive to live there. Have you heard of the Ballard/Freemont area of Seattle? It is very cute and artsy. The area has a very nice quaint feeling to it. You can use metro to access Seattle very easily in minutes (and its great art scene!). I would make Port Townsend a weekend gateway to rejuvinate and get creative juices flowing, but not as a home. Hope this was helpful to you. Have a lovely day=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area