U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,928 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will soon be moving to Seattle to work in the Redmond area and was interested in living in the downtown area. Ill be looking for a single bedroom (maybe studio) apartment and my budget is around $13-1400 a month for rent. Im looking for a mid-rise to high-rise apartment with a good urban feel to it.

My question to you folks is what are some of the neighborhoods around the downtown area, what are some of the characteristics, pros/cons, and any other helpful advice.

The only neighborhood I found any helpful info on is Belltown that seemed like its fairly close to downtown (is it?) thats nice and has a trendy/young feel to it.

Im really not into the club/dance scene so I really dont care for that.

Thanks in advance for any help/info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM

7,760 posts, read 15,074,862 times
Belltown is basically IN DT (next to Pike Place Market). There is a club/dance/bar scene in Belltown. And there's always some drunkard incidences going on in Belltown.

I think you should look closer to the UW, or Eastlake, maybe even Madison Park. You will be using the 520 to go to Redmond and if you are going during Rush hour-- wow, it's going to be a pain. General reccomendation is you live on the same side on the lake as your job.

If you want youthful/trendy, at least check out Kirkland DT area.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Belltown is basically IN DT (next to Pike Place Market). There is a club/dance/bar scene in Belltown. And there's always some drunkard incidences going on in Belltown.

I think you should look closer to the UW, or Eastlake, maybe even Madison Park. You will be using the 520 to go to Redmond and if you are going during Rush hour-- wow, it's going to be a pain. General reccomendation is you live on the same side on the lake as your job.

If you want youthful/trendy, at least check out Kirkland DT area.
While I definitely like my local pub, I dont enjoy the club/dance thing, so would you suggest not looking there?

If ill be leaving the city for work, will traffic be that bad? What kind of timeframe are we looking at here? 30 min?

Will there be a similar urban feel in neighborhoods on the other side of the lake?

Also, what neighborhoods should i avoid in terms of crime/ghetto?

Will the UW, Eastlake, MAdison, or Kirkland have a similar urban/downtown feel, or at least be close enough for a short walk or bike ride?

Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

7,760 posts, read 15,074,862 times
I'm just saying there are club/dance scene in Belltown. And that you have Frat boys or drunkards running around on the weekends. But otherwise its nice there. I'm just forewarning you.

If ill be leaving the city for work, will traffic be that bad? What kind of timeframe are we looking at here? 30 min?

i5 corridor that goes through DT is a tightly wound bottleneck as is the ramp onto 520. If there's no traffic, its less than 25 mins trip from (Belltown) Seattle to Redmond. With traffic, expect an hour at least; with bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Will there be a similar urban feel in neighborhoods on the other side of the lake?

Well, we do have Belleve DT which would be the more densely urban area of the Eastside which is not too far from Redmond and you can even take the backroads, avoiding freeways. However, one should note Bellevue is... not like Seattle (and its a subject that escalates b/c people in Seattle "hate" Bellevue and Bellevue takes pride in being NOT Seattle). Bellevue is pricey. But it does have the high rises, I don't know if there's apartments or if they're all condos. Kirkland is a cute waterfront town, which is why I brought it up.

Also, what neighborhoods should i avoid in terms of crime/ghetto?

Eh... we don't have true ghettos. While we do have areas that are undesirable, it doesn't encompass the entire area. Like Rainier Beach, there are "harsh" sections, but it also does have nice areas. WA is very safe.

Will the UW, Eastlake, MAdison, or Kirkland have a similar urban/downtown feel, or at least be close enough for a short walk or bike ride?

Short walk to... what exactly? Redmond actually likes to label itself as the bicycle capital. The Seattle area likes to pride itself for being bicycle friendly and we have a lot of trails for that. You're not going to suffer for areas to bike ride, regardless of where you live.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 03-16-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area