Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:27 PM

28 posts, read 98,274 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I saw an awesome job that I'd like to apply for but then I saw the starting salary and now I wonder if I should even apply for it. I'm currently in the Midwest and live in the suburbs. I like suburban living so I wouldn't want to change that. But I just wonder if I should even go through the entire application process if there's no way I could live the life I'm accustomed to on $39k in Seattle.

BTW, I've heard nothing but GREAT things about the Seattle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:36 PM

159 posts, read 625,966 times
What kind of life are you accustomed to? If you don't mind renting, you can live pretty easily on $39,000. I lived pretty well on $39,000-45,000 for several years. You should have no problem finding an affordable place in the suburbs. Housing in Seattle and on the Eastside (suburbs east of Lake Washington) tends to be more expensive.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for this info! Very helpful! How far out from Seattle would I have to live?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Well, there's a couple information you're leaving out. Are you single? Are you married? Have kids? Where is the job located? Are you frugal?

It's possible to live within Seattle proper (renting) for $600 and up.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well, there's a couple information you're leaving out. Are you single? Are you married? Have kids? Where is the job located? Are you frugal?

It's possible to live within Seattle proper (renting) for $600 and up.
Single, no kids. Job located in Des Moines. I can be frugal, but that depends on what you mean. Do I spend $300 on a pair of shoes? No. Do I enjoy shopping? Yes. Do I have to shop every weekend? No. Do I love to find good deals at the mall and Target? Absolutely! So, yeah, I like to live and enjoy my life but by no means am I ridiculous.

And really, Seattle proper for $600? Like a nice apartment?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Eh, my friend pays around that much and the apartment is... just too small. It has all the 1920 charms-- and its smallness, so me no like. She only has to walk a block and she has the perfect view of everything from Queen Anne to Space Needle.

Des Moines the marina/"DT" area is adorably cute. There's really no reason why you can't live there. It is a suburb so that would fit your needs just fine. Its close to two big malls and shopping areas. Lots of parks. Easy access to the Saltwater State Park. Quiet enough. Has a great sense of community. About 20-25 minutes to Seattle DT on a good day or if you take the light rail from Seatac/Tukwila (which is essentially "next door").

Or you can look over to the next town Redondo Beach/Federal Way or Burien/Normandy Park. Which is affordable (unless you're looking to buy a house, then yes-- you'd probably need more).

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Eh, my friend pays around that much and the apartment is... just too small. It has all the 1920 charms-- and its smallness, so me no like. She only has to walk a block and she has the perfect view of everything from Queen Anne to Space Needle.
Sounds perfect for me, I dont mind small at all. So your friend really only pays 600 for an apartment with a short walk to a beautiful view? Im not an expert on Seattle cost of living, but 600 seems to good to be true for Seattle proper.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM

It used to be that those apartments on Capitol Hill would be snapped up so quickly once they got on the apartments... now it's not like that. My friends who live there say that the competition was fierce, but it weirds them out now to see "For Rent" hanging out for awhile.

One recently got to upgrade to a good size (bigger 1bdrm apt with better kitchen that she was in previously) and is now paying $725. Before she paid $675. The other friend who is paying $600-- she's used that whole on the market for a while and negotiated a lower rent price (and she's good at that sort of thing).

Old 03-21-2010, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,457 times
You can rent an apartment in the Normandy Park area for around $575 on up.............it'll be small, but nice. I know apartments on 1st Ave up in Normandy Park (right next to Des Moines) have vacancy signs outside them. Such as El Toro on 1st. Knew someone living there once. They had a 1 bedroom place that was pretty nice and very affordable. Its a safe, quiet neighbourhood within easy reach of Des Moines (about 1 minute in a car or bus), the 509 (that'll take you direct into downtown seattle without going near the I-5) and the airport (about 5 minutes from there with access to the Seatac light rail direct to downtown.)

Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Wow I guess seattle isn't as expensive as I thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area