Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,400 times

Advertisements

As the post suggests me and my girlfriend will be in your city between those dates and I was just wondering if there was anything of major interest to do. We have guidebooks (which will kill time on the 11 hour flight) so was looking more for things that might be seasonal i.e. gigs, festivals, exhibitions etc. We like drinking, meeting people and generally wandering around. Is there anything we HAVE to see and/or are best avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM

807 posts, read 2,254,815 times
If you like people, food and drinks, I would suggest a day at Pike Place Market. After dark, head up to around 12th and Pike in Capitol Hill. Can't go wrong.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,400 times
Is it just not the same in the light? Is it busy every day of the week?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
The reason why the user said to go to Capitol Hill at that time is multiple. There's lots of shops and restaurants there, and C.H. is pretty much a mixed bag of people. Normal people, suburbanites, goths, punks, tweakers, college kids, newlyweds, old people, and lots of LBGT people as well.

Another interesting neighborhood is the Greenwood neighborhood, though an arsonist gutted a few of the local restaurants that had been around for a while. I haven't ventured there in a while, I wonder if reconstruction has picked up?

Fremont is also an interesting place. Gotta check out the Lenin statue and the Troll under the bridge.

For my money, I'd check out Kisaku for some excellent sushi and there's also a small donut store plus a coffeehouse that is legendary across the street. It's near Green Lake, check out Zoka coffee. Just a really nice place to relax. If you want a stroll or run, or just to people watch (if it is a nice day), stroll to Green Lake. It is a beautiful place. There's even a par 3 course nestled in there if you brought your wedge and putter, in the middle of it.

There's also a wide variety of ethnic restaurants. Check out Kasbah on 85th st. Keep driving along 85th and go to the end of the street. Turn right down a windy road downhill. Keep going until you reach a beach and park. That's the Golden Gardens park. On a nice day, if you feel adventurous, check out California Ave. and Alki beach in West Seattle.

If you are outdoorsy people, and the mountain passes are passable, you have to check out the mountains. Take a 3 hr drive to Leavenworth, WA. To take in the town, I recommend booking a night at one of their hotels. Check it out now, they're typically booked up in advance. It's a cute German hamlet style town that turned touristy, but made an attempt to look like the real thing, being a town descended from Germans, I think it did a decent job. Can't beat the views.

I would avoid the Sodo district at night and the International District, especially around the train station, at night. Seattle is a pretty safe city, not by European standards, but to give an idea, our crime is mostly car break-ins and pickpockets. Cops write tickets for jaywalking and going 10 mph over the limit. Don't let the typicaly "OMG AMERICA IS A DANGEROUS PLACE!!!!111_1@!" rhetoric scare you away from exploring. Even more dangerous cities have concentrations of crime rather than a general "everywhere is bad" thing going on.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM

161 posts, read 559,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philyyy View Post
As the post suggests me and my girlfriend will be in your city between those dates and I was just wondering if there was anything of major interest to do. We have guidebooks (which will kill time on the 11 hour flight) so was looking more for things that might be seasonal i.e. gigs, festivals, exhibitions etc. We like drinking, meeting people and generally wandering around. Is there anything we HAVE to see and/or are best avoided?

If you enjoy people watching,maybe you can go to the Seattle Center and hang out at the fountain,check out the Space Needle, the EMP,walk across the street do Teatro Zinzanni or explore the other culinary delights in Queen Anne. I like the Melting Pot ( its overrated,but I like the novelty.)and Racha.
Racha Noodles & Thai Cuisine | Queenanne | 206.281.8883

I also suggest picking up The Stranger or going to the website The Stranger - Seattle's Only Newspaper
to check out what's in town or whats coming to town.

I second going down to the market and going to the Pikes Place Brewery,and just walking around the market and across the street from the market. There are many nooks and crannies people miss when they go there.

Check out the Pink Door The Pink Door - Italian-American Restaurant & Cabaret Lounge - Seattle, Washington on Sats.
Check out the Showbox for music: Showbox at the Market
Check out Yelp.com for other happenings around town.

My fav Capital Bar..oh there's so many...! Is the Chapel and a second is Linda's.

Like to bowl? You can do that at the Garage,its got a bar,too!( in Capital Hill)

The Fremont market is open on Sundays and that will get you into Fremont if anything to see the troll. Eat cake at Simply Desserts.

The waterfront is good,if you enjoy seafood. They have an Anthony's, an Ivars, a Crabpot and a pirate shop and that's about it for my personal pick down there.

There's also Pioneer Square for nightlife as well as Capital Hill. I prefer Capital Hill.

The University of Washington is nice around this time of year,plus you can also hang out at a coffee shop on the Ave. Lots of food there,too. Right off the Ave is the best vegetarian Thai food place called Araya's. Araya's Place - Thai Vegan and Vegetarian Food

I hope you have a great time. I was in London a few years ago visiting some friends and watching Eastenders ( which is my fav show btw...don't laugh!)

I should be a tour guide.....

Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 PM

36 posts, read 153,574 times
I posted some general suggestions in another thread that might be of use, //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...l#post12461274.

Definitely check out the Stranger as orangeblossom suggested. It's the local alt-weekly and is available in newspaper boxes, bars and cafes and bookstores pretty much all over the city. You'll find listings for pretty much any and all local events - bars, clubs, art galleries, theater, etc.

I second (or third) checking out the Pike/Pine area on Capitol Hill from Boren street all the way up to 15th (just west of downtown and and walkable from there). There are loads of bars and restaurants as well as a few live music venues and nightclubs. We've got great restaurants here, especially Asian cuisine. If you're into art, there are tons of galleries that are free, and the museums are worthwhile (bearing in mind, of course, that it's not the Met or Louvre or British Museum by any stretch!)

If you are into getting totally trashed and perhaps finding a fistfight, you might enjoy Pioneer Square or Belltown around 1st and Blanchard on Friday/Saturday night around midnight or later. You can also buy crack at those locations most any time of day. If that's not your thing, probably best to steer clear of those areas late at night Pioneer Square is quite nice during the day, however, and well worth a stroll.

Hope you enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: