Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
A lot of people in Seattle can't figure out how anyone can raise kids in a high-rise.
I'd raise kids in a high-rise, if high-rises would be in a nice family friendly areas with all the amenities in the walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
I live in Seattle. It feels like a large town to me, not a city. There are not as many cultural offerings as large NE cities, and the population is homogenous. Seattle is made up of a series of neighborhoods. There are lots of festivals, parks, and kid-friendly venues. It's definitely beautiful -- surrounded by mountains and water in all directions. It's well-read, educated, and hooked on NPR. We're green and casual. It's large enough for me.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
As for Seattle drivers, it really is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde mentality. At times, everyone is polite and safe, at other times everyone is rude and reckless. Kind of depends on where you are, and what the mood of the driving public is at that particular time! I have found few cities with such manic-depressive driving! It's almost as if Seattle doesn't know how to behave in this department. Are we NY/Boston, or are we still a small town where everyone is passive? The combination of these styles can create an interesting dynamic.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I, too, think Seattle drivers sometimes have zero logic to them. Today, I was cruising along in the middle lane down 405 and minding my own business when a guy switches into my lane. Cuts me off inthe process. Why? I have no idea... wasn't anyone in front of him, nobody behind him coming up fast, no huge debris in the road, ... he just wanted to cut me off I guess.

On the same commute, I witnessed what is too common here ... a 3-car front. Meaning, all 3 cars are taking up all 3 lanes, and all are doing exactly the speed limit. That just drives me nuts. Whenever that happens, my more aggressive "big city" driver steps in and goes in the HOV lane to pass idiots like that.

/rant on traffic in seattle

Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post

2. Provincial mindset. A lot of people in Seattle can't figure out how anyone can raise kids in a high-rise. Too many people believe that single-family housing is a right. It's not, and single-family housing isn't green. This mind-set impacts development policies and makes it difficult for Seattle to develop its transportation infrastructure efficiently.
To be fair, a lot of families also have dogs to worry about. Keeping medium or large dogs in a high-rise is impractical and unfair to the dog; most medium and large breeds of dogs flourish the most when they have ample living space and a yard to play in. Plus, there would be no easy way for them to relieve themselves. In such a case, living in a high-rise may be more green, but it certainly isn't more humane. I suppose you could always tell people to not own dogs, but then what about the masses of animals that would then die in shelters?

I suppose kids are more adaptable than pets when it comes to that kind of thing, but it still isn't ideal for most families. This isn't unique to Seattle. I can't think of any American cities where it's considered the norm for families with kids to live in high-rises (even in NYC it seems that a great number of families opt for homes in Queens or Brooklyn).

Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I would gladly live in a highrise building if it were actually built for long term living solutions. The vast majority of new apartment and condo buildings that are more than two stories tall simply aren't built with materials that absorb sound. Definitely not absorbant enough to prevent me from hearing my upstairs neighbor stomp around. They're also built funny, like I can hear kids skateboarding in the parking lot directly downstairs as if bowling balls were rolling on the ground, but I can't hear cars or car alarms.

Also a lot of homes around here are built out of wood and the concrete that does exist isn't thick enough to absorb sound and vibrations, so you get noisy homes.

It's very different from the highrises that are 60+ years old in Manhattan or other areas of NYC. If they were built like that, or if they were built like my old dormitories in college, I'd have no problem living in one with a family. But until then, nope! If I'm gonna yell at someone for stomping around and making a ton of noise, I prefer it to be my own family, not some neighbor I don't know and he/she would rather not know me, and doesn't give a rat's ass about my complaining.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
That's true. I live in a condo now and you shouldn't be able to hear your neighbors or them hear you. I really like the idea of living this way but you can't even play music without disturbing your neighbors. I think it's one reason a lot of people (though not all) don't remain in condos for more than a few years.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
To West Seattle Gal:

I disagree with what you said about Seattle. Portland, Oregon seems like a large town to me. Seattle definitely seem like a large city to me.

It actually has one of the biggest high rise skylines in the world relative to population (Seattle has 600,000) people and easily in the top 5 most impressive skylines in America. I also feel like there are so many cultural offerings here. Im from New York City and have been impressed by many of the urban amenities and things to do in the area. Im never bored here and always find things to do. You seem to view Seattle so condescendingly when comparing it to Northeastern cities and its unwarrented. I prefer Seattle any day over the Northeastern cities 95%-100% of the time and Im from New York.

And the population is homogenous? Seattle has one of the highest percentage of Asians in the country in a state that has the 4th highest percentage of Asians out of every USA state. Seattle has one of the highest percentage of interracial couples and multiracial people in America. Its also one of the most interacially friendly. The Asian amenities in Seattle are truly some of the best in the country as well.

I find Seattle to be a diverse, cosmopolitan city with such a diverse range of people with people from all over America and the world and this is coming from someone who lived in New York City for 18 years.

It really depends on what someone decides to do where they live and what they decide to associate with and be a part of. Even Seattle and New York can both feel boring and uncultured to someone if they dont know what to do in those regions. I know plenty of people who were always bored in New York and never knew what to do in it and make negative lifestyle choiches and not make the most of it and that is true with some people in the Seattle area as well. However, I also know plenty of people who know how to make the most of both regions and all they offer as well other places as well.

Last edited by ; 04-04-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM

103 posts, read 207,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
To be fair, a lot of families also have dogs to worry about. Keeping medium or large dogs in a high-rise is impractical and unfair to the dog; most medium and large breeds of dogs flourish the most when they have ample living space and a yard to play in. Plus, there would be no easy way for them to relieve themselves. In such a case, living in a high-rise may be more green, but it certainly isn't more humane. I suppose you could always tell people to not own dogs, but then what about the masses of animals that would then die in shelters?

I suppose kids are more adaptable than pets when it comes to that kind of thing, but it still isn't ideal for most families. This isn't unique to Seattle. I can't think of any American cities where it's considered the norm for families with kids to live in high-rises (even in NYC it seems that a great number of families opt for homes in Queens or Brooklyn).
I grew up with a dog in a highrise, as did many of my neighbors. There are lots of dogs in Manhattan. That's why there are so many dog parks in Manhattan. Dogs are adaptable. Just don't feed them mystery meet.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 PM

103 posts, read 207,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I would gladly live in a highrise building if it were actually built for long term living solutions. The vast majority of new apartment and condo buildings that are more than two stories tall simply aren't built with materials that absorb sound. Definitely not absorbant enough to prevent me from hearing my upstairs neighbor stomp around. They're also built funny, like I can hear kids skateboarding in the parking lot directly downstairs as if bowling balls were rolling on the ground, but I can't hear cars or car alarms.

Also a lot of homes around here are built out of wood and the concrete that does exist isn't thick enough to absorb sound and vibrations, so you get noisy homes.

It's very different from the highrises that are 60+ years old in Manhattan or other areas of NYC. If they were built like that, or if they were built like my old dormitories in college, I'd have no problem living in one with a family. But until then, nope! If I'm gonna yell at someone for stomping around and making a ton of noise, I prefer it to be my own family, not some neighbor I don't know and he/she would rather not know me, and doesn't give a rat's ass about my complaining.

Sheesh, you get used to it, just as I've had to get used to the sound of roosters at 5am in the morning and dogs barking at all hours.

Millions of people in Asia raise kids in high-rises. They turned out alright, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area