Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 AM

64 posts, read 216,173 times

Advertisements

I am a newly single mom and I am starting to think I may have to move out of Seattle. I moved here from Los Angeles 5 years ago and took a very large pay cut. My husband (we are divorcing) was the breadwinner so it was not a huge issue. I also have a 3-year-old son.

In the Seattle area, I will make 55K. If I move back to CA, I will make 90K. I want to keep my son close to his father, but I feel like making ends meet in Seattle will be extremely difficult. I was looking on the East Side (Redmond, Bellevue) and the most I could afford would be an apartment. Even then, money would be tight. I thought maybe I could move to Olympia, but I drove down there today and I didn't like it at all. I also cannot find many decent rentals in the Shoreline area (an area which I am not crazy about to begin with). I really don't like cookie-cutter type suburbs, either.

Are there any areas in Seattle where I could live and be comfortable? Good schools are of the utmost importance. I really don't want to move...If I did move to CA, my son's father said he would eventually move there too, which wouldn't be difficult for him.

Thanks,
Tori

Last edited by evergreentori; 12-29-2009 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
I think the bigger question is: Do you want to stay in Seattle?

As for locations, you seem to have a very broad area. Which areas would you most likely consider (so that it wouldn't be too far from where you work, etc). Have you checked into Mukilteo, Edmonds, Bothell, Canyon Park?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
You should be fine, money wise, in the Seattle area on 55K.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
You should be able to afford a two bedroom apartment on Mercer Island. It's in between the Eastside and Seattle so it's close to everything, has one of the best school districts around here, and has excellent mass transportation to either side of the lake. You could probably do without a car as there's a QFC right downtown on MI and can just walk there to get the groceries. Many people do it.

There's other places to rent in north of Seattle, like in Edmonds, Everett, Bothell, and Kirkland that you could afford to live in as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM

I could get a job anywhere in Seattle since I work for the public schools and my job is in shortage. I want to stay about an hour at the most from Seattle. I wouldn't want to live in Edmonds, Everett or Bothell b/c I don't think their schools are that great. I am wondering if I live in an apartment in a more upscale neighborhood like Mercer Island or Redmond, if my son will feel stigmatized (as he grows, anyway). Also, apartments in these areas are from $1200-1500. Then I have daycare/preschool costs, etc. That's already half my paycheck. is that ok?

I would like an area that has some charm (doesn't have to be much!) and really good schools.

Inkpo - where is Canyon Park?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM

I guess I should also add that I would prefer a condo or townhome. I am willing to stay in an apartment, but it would be nice to have a garage, etc. since I have a little boy with lots of toys and bikes.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Bothell is in the Northshore school district which is one of the better school districts in WA state. Canyon Park is north of Bothell and Woodinville. And it is also part of the NSD.

Are you worry about your son being stigmatized because he live in an apt? I knew some people that grew up on M.I. that mentioned there were "class-ism" there, but there were enough (open-minded) peers for them to play with. I wouldn't worry about Redmond because there's so many different types of housing in Redmond that I'm sure it wouldn't phase the people that you live in an apt.

Or... maybe look into Bainbridge Island? (Am not sure about housing there though, it does have a good school district.) Monroe could be another option.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the info, Inkpoe. I already live on Bainbridge and, now that I am divorcing, I feel like a pariah. When I tell them that we are selling the house and I may be moving into an apartment, they gasp with horror. It is really a bad feeling living here right now and I just don't want to experience that in another community.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Ooh, that definitely sucks. Yes, you wouldn't really get that kind of response/attitude here unless you meet a holy-roller.

Hope it gets better for you.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM

51 posts, read 149,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You should be fine, money wise, in the Seattle area on 55K.
I was thinking the same thing, what other unusual bills do you have? 55k and you can't rent a nice apt.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area