U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM

27,790 posts, read 58,481,561 times

Advertisements

Seattle is now 37 out of the top 50 U-Haul Destinations...

What really surprised me is that 7 California cities ranked ahead of Seattle... with Sacramento ranking 8th overall... maybe Citygirl72 was just ahead of her time?

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...05/daily4.html

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-09-2010 at 08:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 AM

293 posts, read 979,903 times
Houston is the number one destination?!

Ultrarunner, I wouldn't be too concerned about this for several reasons. If the idiot masses don't come to Seattle, so much the better for our city.

I have lived in other places and it's amazing how little people know about Seattle. They don't know it's surrounded by water, they don't know what the weather is really like, they don't know what the skyline looks like, and surprisingly enough, alot of people think it's part of Washington DC!!!

Seattle will continue to attract worldly, educated people who are aware of all the great things the Emerald City has to offer. Let the rest of them go to the promised lands of Sacramento and Houston!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,589,852 times
Personally, I am glad that people are not flocking here in droves. The population growth due to emigration here is large enough to drive up home values to the point of unaffordability. And the market for jobs here demands that half of all workforce people here have at least a bachelor's. Places like Houston don't.

The other thing to remember is that places like Houston and Phoenix have very low taxes for corporations, so of course, they will move facilities there. There's also the factor of geography ... we have natural beauty and land ordinances which constrict growth. They don't.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM

10 posts, read 21,371 times
Houston has the Texas Medical Center. We just came back home after living for 8 months at the Ronald McDonald House. I can't even imagine the number of people employed by the hospitals and support services. The amount of construction in and around the medical center is impressive. If I was having a hard time finding a job to support my family, I'd head to Houston!

We also met several families from around the country who were making the decision to move to Houston because their child would need to be close to the medical center for the next several years. Those were families we met at the Ronald McDonald House. Who knows how many more were facing that tough decision.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:36 PM

121 posts, read 318,204 times
I've noticed the recent reports indicate California housing market to be improving. Seattle is still dropping, so it could be that the Uhaul stats are reflecting a trend of people sensing values to be had (either renting or buying) in the state with the most expensive housing in the nation. I don't know if this is a reflection of stronger job markets in Cali right now, but I will note that Sacramento is government city, which always gives an economy an edge during bad recessions.

I think Seattle will do fine coming out of this recession, assuming China doesn't go in the tank. The real places to worry about are those that have relied on housing construction for a large percentage of employment. Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas are going to have to find new industries to employ non-college educated people, young men in particular.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM

121 posts, read 318,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Seattle is now 37 out of the top 50 U-Haul Destinations...

What really surprised me is that 7 California cities ranked ahead of Seattle... with Sacramento ranking 8th overall... maybe Citygirl72 was just ahead of her time?

U-Haul: Washington state growth slows - Houston Business Journal:
LOL, Citygirl missed our fine El Nino winter!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 PM

3,178 posts, read 14,009,420 times
See...Sacramento is not that bad! Actually I find the people who live here quite enjoy it, thank you very much.

And now that all those Bay Area people are leaving Sacramento people can afford the housing again

I had some Calif friends move to Seattle in Nov, and they keep asking me what the heck was up with winter (They like the cloudy rainy-ness and were quite disaapointed.) Told them it's just El Nino and it will come back! No worries.

We're coming up and visiting for a few weeks in August...perfect time to escape Sac weather, and go up and enjoy the beautiful PNW summers

Old 04-10-2010, 06:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,767,234 times
U-haul is just one indicator. Some people are still moved by big van movers. I would guess U-haul probably is an indicator of less than affluent folks, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 PM

27,790 posts, read 58,481,561 times
I was home two weeks doing work around the house and it only rained a couple of hours one afternoon...

Olympia had the typical gray days... but, I can say, the weather was great!

CityGirl72... nice to hear from you and enjoy August in WA... I'm sure it will be spectacular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area