Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 AM

53 posts, read 195,400 times

Advertisements

How many days does it take to get driver license in Seattle?

and i am non-resident but have social security number and J1 visa so can I get driver license even I am not resident?

Thanks for the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
You take two tests-- the written test and the driving test. It's possible to do both on the same day and leave with a license (if you pass both).

I knew some Japanese foreign exchange students attending colleges that got driver licenses and cars. (I don't know if that situation applies to you or not.)

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You take two tests-- the written test and the driving test. It's possible to do both on the same day and leave with a license (if you pass both).

I knew some Japanese foreign exchange students attending colleges that got driver licenses and cars. (I don't know if that situation applies to you or not.)
Thanks.

I will have 2-3 days in Seattle then I need to come back to NYC. As I know it takes long time to get driver license in NYC. So I want to get it when I come to Seattle.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
... Oh no...

That's definitely not going to work. You have to show proof of a residential address in WA state to get WA State Driver license. Just as you have to show an address of where you live at in NY to get a NY state driver license.

(Much apologies, I was thinking a Non-resident as someone who just moved here or has no plans of staying here in the longer run.)

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... Oh no...

That's definitely not going to work. You have to show proof of a residential address in WA state to get WA State Driver license. Just as you have to show an address of where you live at in NY to get a NY state driver license.

(Much apologies, I was thinking a Non-resident as someone who just moved here or has no plans of staying here in the longer run.)

I will stay with my gf in seattle. is it possible to give her address?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM

141 posts, read 435,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeta View Post
I will stay with my gf in seattle. is it possible to give her address?
Nope. The state of WA is the most anal state I've been through re: DL. They require a very rigid list of documents to prove residency and (surprise-surprise) even a rental agreement with your name on it isn't one of them. Check here for the latest:

WA State Licensing: Proof of identity and residence

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
It's just not Washington, geekie. Quite a few states are trying to comply with the Federal Real ID Act. Those that are will have similar hoops to jump through. The state in which I have residence also has similar strict requirements. However, a bunch of states are resisting to comply to the standards.

Real ID Act Might Cause Real Hassles For Travelers : NPR

But to answer you question, agreeta, Inkpoe is correct, you have to show residence. Theoretically, it is supposedly against the law to hold a driver's license in more than one state because you only are supposed to have domicile (one state that you declare residency) in one state.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-12-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm not living any of these states Actually I'm not even living in US. I'm coming via "work and travel" student program. I worked in NYC last year. But I need a driver license this summer. I'm living in Turkey and it takes 3-4 months to get driver license. So it is too late for me to get from here because I'll be in US on July. Also in NYC it takes 6 months.

So do you know any other state to get driver license easily?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 AM

127 posts, read 401,376 times
I don't want to hijack this thread, but was just wondering what tests you need to take if you already have an overseas driving license ?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but was just wondering what tests you need to take if you already have an overseas driving license ?
As I know nothing. But not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area