U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,617,335 times

Advertisements

I decided to bid on Priceline for a hotel in the Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond area for the next two nights I am in Seattle (I am trying to stay for two nights in three different parts of Seattle for a total of six nights).

Priceline gave me the Larkspur Landing in Bellevue for $55 a night. However, it seems like this hotel is hard to find based on reviewers. I prefer not renting a car and driving around an unknown city, so hopefully a bus can get me there from downtown Seattle, which I will visit today.

Any recommendation for things to do around Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond? I am also trying to get contacts for future job hunting and for help for my own website, so I try to frequent large coffee shops with free wifi and large bookstores such as Barnes & Noble. Anything like that in these areas? I also want to go to Redmond to an area where a lot of Microsoft employees frequent.

Is driving around these three areas a lot easier (less traffic) than driving in western parts of Seattle (including downtown and University District?). In that case, maybe I can rent a car at the hotel in Bellevue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 14,923,264 times
Honestly, if you're staying in Larkspur-- you might as well drive. It is right next to the freeway and close to Bellevue College. But there are bus stops close by and it is a bit busy in the area. The transfer station is some-what close: "Eastgate P&R" probably would be a bit of a walk-- but there definitely be a bus taking you to Seattle. Seattle has excellent bus service. Bellevue is good, but not as great. Probably would be tons faster if you just rent a car.

Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond have big shopping centers. Bellevue and Redmond have the malls. There is also Crossroads Mall which would probably be the closest mall to you. Crossroads Mall is actually close to the MS grounds-- and you'll notice that MS have their own transportation means. Honestly, MS offers their employees just about everything that they're a bit removed from the general population. I remember my friend was talking about their food-court and I'm going

But what exactly are you looking to do in these areas? Looking for places to eat or stroll through? The DT areas of all three cities should be strolled through... and you have Issaquah DT down the freeway from Larkspur.

Just about all Starbucks and a lot of coffee places offer free Wi-fi. I would think Larkspur does as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,531,377 times
Oh, the Larkspur landing isn't really near downtown Bellevue. It is in a weird location, kind of down from a strip mall (with an Outback Steakhouse in it, in case you like to navigate by landmarks) and next to a church. I think taking a bus to the Eastgate Park N Ride might get you as close as you're going to get (but I think the hotel will still be probably 1-2 miles from there). It's not in a great location for tourists.

As for what to do in Bellevue, it depends on what you're into. There is a Barnes & Noble sort of near Bellevue Square. Also near Bellevue Square (catty corner to it) there's an office complex, and I know there's a coffee shop in at least one of the buildings, so that might be a place to go hang out. Valve has their headquarters over in one of those buildings, so techie people will be hanging out there.

Good luck!

V. =)

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,384,383 times
Yeah, I second the Crossroads food court area. My hubby used to practically live there when he was a bachelor working for MS.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,667,102 times
Get on a bus and go to downtown Seattle. It has a lot more going for it than the Crossroads Mall!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,384,383 times
tobester: He's in Seattle now. He wants to check out different neighborhoods in the area for their "vibe". But your Seattlist disdain for the Eastside is duly noted.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,617,335 times
Lol

I just rented a car right now and hope I am accident free tomorrow since I am averse to driving in new large cities. Any weird traffic regulations in Seattle? Last year I rented a car in Dallas and got fined by the car rental company due to two unmanned tolls that I unknowingly skipped paying.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM

At the busy intersections, we do have red-light cameras. There's one not far from Larkspur: 148th and SE Eastgate way.

Otherwise, do beware of the Jekyll-and-Hyde drivers here.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,667,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
tobester: He's in Seattle now. He wants to check out different neighborhoods in the area for their "vibe". But your Seattlist disdain for the Eastside is duly noted.
I apologize - I did not see that he had already been in Seattle. And, I have no problem with the Eastside - I work a few blocks from the Larkspur. I just thought if Crossroads was being suggested ... there were much nicer places to visit. Mea culpa ...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I also want to go to Redmond to an area where a lot of Microsoft employees frequent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yeah, I second the Crossroads food court area. My hubby used to practically live there when he was a bachelor working for MS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I just thought if Crossroads was being suggested ... there were much nicer places to visit. Mea culpa ...
I wasn't suggesting Crossroads for ambiance. I know its one of those places where some of the MS people go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>