Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,166 times

Advertisements

So I'm considering a possible move to Seattle next year for an internal medicine residency at UW hospitals.

I know the area pretty well and I think I'd fit in fine culture-wise, but reading posts on this site has me concerned about the dating situation. From what I've been able to gather from other posters, there are a lot of accomplished single women in their 20s with advanced degrees, but at the same time they're generally kind of eccentric, flaky, etc. I also read about it being more difficult to meet people in Seattle vs. other large west coast cities (e.g., the "Seattle freeze").

I was wondering what locals' impressions of the dating situation for 20-something professionals is. Is what I've been reading totally off base? It just shouldn't be as rough as people are making it out to be! It's Seattle!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
It's Seattle, get a dog!

It's all about the dogs and the coffee here.

Dating is so passe'.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
As a med student, you'll find no shortage of women looking for their 'MRS' Degrees. So while you may not find your soulmate with any degree of ease, you'll have no shortage of fun little flings to take advantage of via all the diggers that think they'll be able to bamboozle you. Better than average looking women out here, too.

Hey, it's how I spent my college years :P.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
Hang out on the corner of 6th and Pine for a while. The epicenter of fine, fine ladies.

I have a theory about it: They appear from another dimension already walking up Pine from 3rd Avenue. They walk past about 7th and Pine and disappear back into that dimension. Same thing applies for 6th Avenue between Pike Street and Olive Way. It happens with downtown gangstaz as well. They walk up Pine and disappear into thin air the second they touch 4th Avenue. Kind of like the bad guys do in Goldeneye for N64 when they disappear into boxes and walls.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
As a med student, you'll find no shortage of women looking for their 'MRS' Degrees. So while you may not find your soulmate with any degree of ease, you'll have no shortage of fun little flings to take advantage of via all the diggers that think they'll be able to bamboozle you. Better than average looking women out here, too.

Hey, it's how I spent my college years :P.
Well, not exactly looking for spinners or 'diggers'. Besides if the diggers were smart they'd know most doctors aren't huge earners - many, many professional people will make more than me after I finish training (150-250k), and only 50-60k during residency. Plus, in really expensive cities like Seattle, SF, NYC, Chicago, etc. 200k doesn't go that far. She'll definitely still be working.

I can understand some foolish girl chasing after a doc in plastics or neurosurgery (500k to 1M+ yearly income) but they've got to understand most of these guys have prenups, work well over 80 hours a week, and trade up wives constantly so they've always got the hot 20-something.

Just looking for the normal, career-minded, college-educated woman who's hot, takes care of herself and isn't too eccentric or flaky. Sounded from other posts like that was difficult to find in Seattle - and I have no idea what the dating scene there is like.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM

263 posts, read 529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare85 View Post
Well, not exactly looking for spinners or 'diggers'. Besides if the diggers were smart they'd know most doctors aren't huge earners - many, many professional people will make more than me after I finish training (150-250k), and only 50-60k during residency. Plus, in really expensive cities like Seattle, SF, NYC, Chicago, etc. 200k doesn't go that far. She'll definitely still be working.

I can understand some foolish girl chasing after a doc in plastics or neurosurgery (500k to 1M+ yearly income) but they've got to understand most of these guys have prenups, work well over 80 hours a week, and trade up wives constantly so they've always got the hot 20-something.

Just looking for the normal, career-minded, college-educated woman who's hot, takes care of herself and isn't too eccentric or flaky. Sounded from other posts like that was difficult to find in Seattle - and I have no idea what the dating scene there is like.
I'm 25 and live in San Francisco. I spend a decent amount of time in Seattle as well. San Francisco is struggling when it comes to attractive women, but Seattle takes it to a whole 'nother level. No offense to any Seattle women, as I'm sure there are some great ones out there, but I haven't seen many attractive women on any of my trips.

Having said that, you will be near UW which could help things quite a bit.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:

If you don't think 200k goes far in this town, you've either never been here or have a severely slanted view of what "far" is. The girlies seeking their MRS degrees aren't after 7 figure salaries. They're just after something comfortable enough to live easily on without having to work with the hopes of popping out a couple of kids to ensure mommy support should things fall apart.

Obviously, these women aren't the types you go for when seeking a long term relationship, but when you're a college student they're an awful lot of fun to toy around with, so long as you realize the game and turn it on them.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Hang out on the corner of 6th and Pine for a while. The epicenter of fine, fine ladies.

I have a theory about it: They appear from another dimension already walking up Pine from 3rd Avenue. They walk past about 7th and Pine and disappear back into that dimension. Same thing applies for 6th Avenue between Pike Street and Olive Way. It happens with downtown gangstaz as well. They walk up Pine and disappear into thin air the second they touch 4th Avenue. Kind of like the bad guys do in Goldeneye for N64 when they disappear into boxes and walls.
What's in that general vicinity? Nordy's, Barney's, Tiffany & Co. etc. That's why the fiiiine women are always congregated around that area.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Some of these threads really drive home the whole "perspective" thing. From my "perspective", Seattle would have to be great for single professionals. Those days are behind me now, but my totally unscientific observations of the city make me think that if dating life is bad in Seattle, then 90% of America should be single and sexually frustrated. You want to know about a bad dating scene, join the Army and be stationed at FT. Hood, TX. Enjoy going to bars with 20 guys for every girl. Having grown up in a mostly rural environment, any city was heaven as far as I was concerned regarding the dating scene. Any time a place has more single females than the entire population of where I lived was considered a good sign for me LOL.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 AM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
So I'm considering a possible move to Seattle next year for an internal medicine residency at UW hospitals.

I know the area pretty well and I think I'd fit in fine culture-wise, but reading posts on this site has me concerned about the dating situation. From what I've been able to gather from other posters, there are a lot of accomplished single women in their 20s with advanced degrees, but at the same time they're generally kind of eccentric, flaky, etc. I also read about it being more difficult to meet people in Seattle vs. other large west coast cities (e.g., the "Seattle freeze").

I was wondering what locals' impressions of the dating situation for 20-something professionals is. Is what I've been reading totally off base? It just shouldn't be as rough as people are making it out to be! It's Seattle!

Thanks!
I'm in my 30s so I am in a slightly different scene but sometimes I cross paths with the 20 somethings. This is what I've noticed.

1) There are quite a few beer connoisseurs up here. Beer tasting events draw hordes of people.

2) There is a large and vibrant dance scene in the city so taking a salsa or swing class is a great way to meet physically fit young women who like to let their hair down.

3) Hiking is very popular. Joining a hiking group is another good way to meet 20 somethings who want to stay in good shape.

Hope I've helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: