U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 17,936 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Seattle and looking for anyone w. experience w. offshore/deep sea fishing off the coast of Seattle. I currently have a 25 ft open fisherman boat, which works great on the Atlantic. Comfortable up to 8 ft swells/20 knot winds. But on avg. prefer 4-6 ft waves. And run typically 20 miles out for total trips of 60 miles on avg. What are the typical waves/knots and what type of fish for the recreational fisherman? How far out do you need to go?
I've googled plenty of info. on river/stream fishing...but surprisely not so much on the off shore fishing. Is there a reason for this...looking for other offshore fishing experts in the Seattle area.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM

1,170 posts, read 5,022,828 times
Maybe this doesn't matter to fishermen but Seattle is not on the coast, it's on a protected body of salt water called Puget Sound.

The Seattle Times has a weekly column on outdoor recreation and fishing is a major topic there. The address is The Seattle Times | Seattle Times Newspaper and a search for "fishing" will turn up lots of leads.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 10,900,482 times
Yeah, you're not going to see 8 foot swells in Puget Sound. 20 miles out from Seattle will put you in Everett or Tacoma.

It's Westport that you'll be wanting.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

807 posts, read 2,169,976 times
The best spots are about 15 miles off the Columbia River bar. However, they don't call that area the Graveyard of the Pacific for nothing.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM

692 posts, read 3,012,219 times
It depends on what you will be fishing for.
Salmon, Halibut, Other Bottom dwellers Ling cod, Rock cod.
If you really want Deep Sea fishing, then it will be Westport, Illwaco, LaPush, Neah Bay, Willapa Bay, Ocean Shores. Your boat will be just fine for any of those areas.
Fishing licences and in some cases Punch cards are neccesary.

All salt water fishing in Washington State are goverened buy Fishing Regulations that dictate the time of year, limits, and species you can fish for.

I've been fishing the salt here for 69 years.....

Get ready for a whole new way of fishing.

Silverfox

Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,936 times
My bad all clear that Seattle is not on the coast of the Pasific...I guess I am interested to know if putting your boat in the water at Puget Sound to get to the Pasific ocean is feasible and would it be worth the ride. i.e. The post that mentions Neah Bay for instance where would you put in approx distance? However, from the post 'Graveyard of the Pasific' I'm guessing this may NOT be the way to go. Maybe that's why all my searches mainly pull up river and trout fishing : ) Loved that too in my fly fishing past but Miami has spoiled me on tuna and mahi-mahi...oh and when in season grouper, snapper, etc. And even a little sport fishing for swordfish and marlin! Just find it so hard to believe their isn't a more active offshore fishing w. the Pike's mkt and everything.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM

692 posts, read 3,012,219 times
All of the spots I mentioned .. you tow your boat and put it in there to fish on the open Pacfic Ocean.
Most boat launch points on Puget Sound are to far to run because of Ocean Swell, wind and tidal action. Just to un-pedictable. Best to drive there and launch.
You can fish in Puget Sound for Bottom fish and Salmon. July, August and September are Prime time for that. I winter fish Nov.thru March for Blackmouth. (immature king salmon) several places close to Seattle. They run form 2-3lbs to 10-15lbs. during the season.
Fun to catch on light tackle. Excellent eating as well.
It will probaly take you a couple seasons or so to catch on to most of what goes on in this area, fishing wise.
You will learn new words ...like Herring, anchovie, sardine, row, down riggers, mooching, motor mooching, spinning, trolling, drift fishing, cut plug, cut spinner, etc etc

First try to learn all the boat ramps. Go to some of the GOOD Sporting Goods Stores and Talk and Listen. Any good fisherman worth there Salt will go there and Brag and give away many of there best Secrets while you play dumb and take it all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area