U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 18,361 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Seattle from the suburbs of Atlanta and I thought I'd see if anyone had advice on places to live. I've done a lot of research and still have a lot ot learn about the city but I have a good feel for what we want. We are youngish (28 and 30) with no kids a couple of dogs. We aren't the nightlife type but we really enjoy getting out and exploring and doing fun stuff like festivals and farmer's markets.

For starters, I'm not concerned with traffic. I will be driving to various clients all of which are 15 miles or less from Downtown Seattle. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta now so there is nothing Seattle traffic could do to shock me

What we're looking for from the neighborhood:
- Fun stuff within walking/bus distance. Tired of the car culture in Atlanta
- Safe neighborhood, my wife has never lived in a city and is anxious about diving feet first so I need to ease her in.
- Dog friendly (pretty sure this applies to all of Seattle so may not be a concern)
- Rental houses with yards. I can't stand the idea of my best buds not having a yard to play in.

Neighborhoods that seem to fit the bill:
- Ballard (not sure about the safety on this one)
- Magnolia
- West Seattle
- Wallingford
- Area around the Aboretum (not sure if it has a name)
- Queen Anne (seems pricey)

Any advice welcome!

Bonus question: Does Seattle get blanketed in pollen for a month at the beginning of spring like Atlanta?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM

368 posts, read 657,122 times
Pretty much any of the neighborhoods you listed can work, and Ballard is safe. I'm from Atlanta originally and anywhere in Seattle is just about safer. Tell your wife the Atlanta suburbs only give the illusion of being safe. Most of these neighborhoods have very walkable areas like the Alaska, Admiral & Morgan junctions & Alki area of W. Seattle, and then less walkable where it's more just houses with no stores or shops. Similiar in Magnolia, and even Ballard is a little spread out other than the main town area. Ballard & W. Seattle are being gentrified which is kind of sad, but it's part of a neighborhood density plan to create urban villages. The neighborhoods have great festivals and street fairs in spring & summer so you'll like that. I like the Farmers Market in Fremont and W. Seattle best, but there are plenty others. You still have pollen and allergies here, but you won't see your car cover in yellow like in Atlanta. You're right about traffic, as there are some bad areas here, but Atlanta is nutz & whoever designed I-285 should have been shot. Good luck

Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
whoever designed I-285 should have been shot.
I heartily second that! I used to commute through spaghetti junction and have always thought the DOT should be brought up on charges of crimes against humanity.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,665,008 times
Two things -

An idea of your rental budget would dictate where you could live ... homes are typically 2000-2500/mo

Rentals with dogs can be tricky and expensive (very high deposits).

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM

My budget is pretty flexible. I'd consider as high as $2500 a month but would prefer cheaper if possible. I'm aware of the pet deposits and have just accepted those and am trying to move on I won't move without my best friends and I can't bare the thought of my husky in an apartment (and yeah I know large dogs are going to limit my options even further).

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

368 posts, read 657,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxparse View Post
My budget is pretty flexible. I'd consider as high as $2500 a month but would prefer cheaper if possible. I'm aware of the pet deposits and have just accepted those and am trying to move on I won't move without my best friends and I can't bare the thought of my husky in an apartment (and yeah I know large dogs are going to limit my options even further).
Too funny I moved here with my siberian husky who is now 12 years old. He definitely limited my search as he's big for a pure bred. But I used Paws pet friendly guide and some other local resources to find a location. It's really why I ended up in W. Seattle due to not many places taking a dog his size.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Too funny I moved here with my siberian husky who is now 12 years old. He definitely limited my search as he's big for a pure bred. But I used Paws pet friendly guide and some other local resources to find a location. It's really why I ended up in W. Seattle due to not many places taking a dog his size.
I'm actually fairly lucky in this regard. My husky is female and half golden so she is only around 55 lbs. She looks a lot bigger than she is thanks to all the fluff.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,208,772 times
I would also consider throwing Kirkland in the mix as a place to live. Esp. if you can afford to live near the waterfront. Queen Anne is my favorite city neighborhood and West Seattle is also a great place to live.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Does anyone have pros or cons specific to Olympic Hills?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM

218 posts, read 533,611 times
Olympic Hills is a North Seattle, part of the Lake City neighborhood.
Lake City, Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They have a pretty good off-leash dog area near by in North Acres Park.
http://www.cityofseattle.net/Parks/p...ail.asp?id=361
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>