Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,681 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I kept ending up on this forum a lot just searching for info on random cities, and finally made an account for a little advice!

I was dumb enough to get a film degree, so I moved from Michigan to LA three years ago, and it's been a riot. Found great work (post production), met great people. I've never once regretted the move.

But I don't like this city. I love California - but LA is a dirty, crowded, concrete jungle. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life here, especially if I raise a family. I'm worried the longer I stay, the more stuck I'll feel.

So I decided to move to Seattle.

I'm giving up a big group of friends, a job that I enjoy and pays well, living 4 miles from the beach, as much time off between work gigs as I want, plus all the great things that come with living in a huge city.

In Seattle I'll have no job, no friends, and nowhere to live. I just like the city. Plain and simple. Feel like I should give it a shot, and worst comes to worst I can move back here.

If I stay in WA for a year, I may go back to school for web design once I'm considered a resident. Beyond that, plans are pretty sparse.

Is it worth giving up all that just to get out of a city I don't want to spend the rest of my life in? Anyone else ever made the move from LA to WA? I've heard folks from LA aren't always welcome... shocking.

Most importantly... is someone with TV post production experience, a degree, and not much else going to find anything other than a barista work?

Grass is greener?

Thanks for any advice... sorry I went on a rant there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 PM
SGN

7 posts, read 16,805 times
Wink LA to Seattle

My husband and I moved from LA to Seattle 16 years ago. I was working in the industry too, but we were both weary of LA (so ugly!). Seattle was very refreshing - quite the opposite, in many ways. There is some post production work here, but as you know, the vast majority of TV/film work has gone across the border (north) or right-to-work states. You'd have to work hard to make connections here - Seattlites are not known for their sociability. I think the inclement weather makes people introverted. I'd recommend checking local resources like 911media.org or the Seattle International Film Festival - siff.net.

I have a close friend who is an entertainment attorney, and moved from LA to Seattle because she loved the city. She moved back to LA ten years later, saying that she felt like she'd been, "released from prison." The dreary weather wore her out. It's not Valhalla, but if you're interested, you should try it out. You can always go back to LA. Which reminds me... we're on a subduction fault. ;-)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM

282 posts, read 806,828 times
I say make the move... sooner or later.... but I would suggest that you find employment, only if its a contract job. If you are single, have a ton of money in savings (I'd say a MINIMUM of 6 months living expenses), little debt/expenses, then why not...

The reality, though, is that you will not be able to enjoy Seattle or anywhere else if you can't afford to live. Assuming you can at least meet your basics, you should be fine.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
If you can stand the clouds, then come on over. They do have a depressing affect. I am a sun person myself. I've been here for 6 years now, (moved here from Denver) and I like the winters here better, due to the fact that I hate snow! We would leave here in a heartbeat, if we could, but we are kinda stuck here for the moment....
Seattle is so pretty, especially during the summer. It will definately be a change for ya.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
Hmmm, this is just an idea (maybe I dont know what I am talking about but I thought I would put it out there) but don't they film lots of TV shows and movies just north of Seattle in Vancouver? As nice as Seattle is, I hear Vancouver is even nicer. From what I have read, getting a Canadian work visa is not usually hard if you have a college education. Maybe you can stay in LA for now, apply for a canadian work visa and move to Vancouver once you get the visa and there should be plenty of work for you there (unlike Seattle). Just an idea
Vancouver's a Film Production Boom Town - TheWrap.com

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM

368 posts, read 695,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavDav View Post

I'm giving up a big group of friends, a job that I enjoy and pays well, living 4 miles from the beach, as much time off between work gigs as I want, plus all the great things that come with living in a huge city.
Tough Decision for sure. That's an awful lot to give up, especially in these times! You might want to think it through, depending on how old you are too. If you're younger making another group of friends and starting over is a little easier.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:

In Seattle I'll have no job, no friends, and nowhere to live.
You'll fit right in.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

38 posts, read 165,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill loney View Post
you'll fit right in.
:d

Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 PM

260 posts, read 768,492 times
My guess is that you are in your twenties still. That is when I fell in love with Seattle and it took me 30 years to move here to Seattle. I was born and raised in LA and I lived near the beach and loved my city but not the rest of LA. I would say go for it and give Seattle a try while you are young and are not tied down. That said, and as much as I love Seattle, these are the things that I have truly missed...outdoor cafes and restaurants, laughter, good Mexican food, people who will be your friend (not just friendly). Almost all of my friends are from some place else other than Seattle so you shouldn't be deterred from being from CA.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 PM

355 posts, read 869,210 times
Quote:

In Seattle I'll have no job, no friends, and nowhere to live. I just like the city. Plain and simple. Feel like I should give it a shot, and worst comes to worst I can move back here.
That was nearly my situation when I moved here, except I had a place lined up to move into before I got to Seattle. You should be fine if you have enough savings. The economy is robust in Seattle and you should have no problem finding work, however it may take a while. Come on up and smell the pine trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area