Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,608 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Seattle, will be making a decent living, and have two young children (under 3) and want to live in the city. All signs point to Queen Anne- but the job is in Renton. How bad will the commute be? Would the commute be bikeable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM

52 posts, read 248,973 times
Bikeable? Not for most people...

Roughly 14 miles (90-100 minutes each way according to Google Maps), some severe terrain changes (particularly if you're living on Queen Anne Hill), dangerous roads, and some rougher neighborhoods lie in between. Plus, it is dark very early in Seattle in the winter - if you work regular hours, your entire PM commute would be in the dark, and probably all of the AM commute as well.

Public transportation is probably not a good option - parts of Renton don't have much bus service. If your workplace does have bus service, it would be 60-80 minutes and require at least one transfer, possibly 2.

So, you should probably drive. 30-40 minutes is a fair estimate, but that depends on exactly where you're living and working.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:06 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,236,894 times
Depends on where in Queen Anne and where in Renton. I used to work on the Queen Anne/Belltown border near Pier 70 and live just west of downtown Renton, and when I drove it took me about 20 minutes. Not very good for biking. Buses from downtown Seattle to downtown Renton are quite good.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,821,108 times
Default Depends

Like the other replies said, it depends where exactly you're living and working. You may have to deal with transfers if you take public transportation.

And it also depends on your definition of "bikeable." Metro buses to and from Renton have bike racks on the front. And if you are working at a place like Boeing's commercial airplanes headquarters in Renton/Tukwila, then the Sounder train becomes a possibility. Bikes are welcome on the train, which you can board at the King Street Station in Seattle.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:27 PM

271 posts, read 1,231,799 times
It'll be a reverse commute against traffic, so it won't take you more than 30 mins to get there by car.

Renton is not very safe, so avoid riding a bike or taking the bus.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,236,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
It'll be a reverse commute against traffic, so it won't take you more than 30 mins to get there by car.

Renton is not very safe, so avoid riding a bike or taking the bus.

I live in Renton. MichaelinWa lives in Renton. I've lived here for 12 years, and I've never been a crime victim. I took the bus for years. Crime stats suggest that Renton has far fewer crimes per capita than many Seattle neighborhoods.
is it safe? Don't walk around the worst parts of Renton counting your cash. Don't leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition. There are a couple of "bad" parts of Renton. I'd say 95% of the place is just fine.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 57,312 times
Yes, this will definately be a reverse commute with major traffic bottlenecks getting in and out of Queen Anne everyday (via SR 99). Once you get on I-5 you should be in Renton in about 20 minutes.

Biking would be tricky given the hilly terrain in and around the city, although you could use the bus for part of the trip. Another viable option would be to bike to the Westlake Center light rail station and ride the subway/train into Rainier Valley, then bike the last few miles to work. The light rail is somewhat efficient and very affordable, just check to be sure you can take your bike on board during peak hours.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,231,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I live in Renton. MichaelinWa lives in Renton. I've lived here for 12 years, and I've never been a crime victim. I took the bus for years. Crime stats suggest that Renton has far fewer crimes per capita than many Seattle neighborhoods.
is it safe? Don't walk around the worst parts of Renton counting your cash. Don't leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition. There are a couple of "bad" parts of Renton. I'd say 95% of the place is just fine.
Yep, it all depends on how much crime is a lot to an individual.

I find the Renton bus station to be rather dodgy, the walmart car park after dark is very very dodgy.
Compared to the rest of the country, its not that bad I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area