U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 28,461 times

Advertisements

How are the Madrona/Leschi areas of Seattle? I am a single female and want to live in a safe area since I will be living alone, and I need to be fairly close to downtown for school. I came across some apartments in Madrona and Leschi that were more affordable than other areas I have been looking at and am wondering if that is because they are not very nice areas.

Any input is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM

9,638 posts, read 26,002,730 times
Madrona and Leschi are both nice areas, but sometimes they advertise apartments that are supposed to be Madrona or Leschi but really aren't. For example, they might advertise something at 26th and Jackson and call it Leschi, but it's really the Central District, and not nearly as nice as Leschi.
To really be Leschi or Madron ( by feel, not legal definition), it should be east of 31st Avenue.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,232,380 times
IMO Leschi is not the safest area in pockets so just be sure you are living in an area that is turning over as much of Leschi is. We keep our sailboat at Leschi and though it's nice on the water, our friends that live down there say they can frequently hear gunshots, mostly at night. I DO NOT like driving out of there after dark though we have learned the very fastest route out to I-90. Don't know about Madrona though perception is that it is safer.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,778,131 times
Leschi is home to gentrification and dangerous drug dealers. It's a very mixed bag, and I would say that in general the best thing to think is the closer to the water, the better, but the best advice is to stomp the ground with your own two feet.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 AM

I lived in Leschi for 13 years. Leschi has million dollar homes overlooking the lake and junky shacks. The problem isn't so much Leschi as it the route to get there from downtown. You have to go through some fairly crummy areas to get there. Yesler, from I-5 to Martin Luther King, is nothing to write home about. But east of 31st is really pretty nice. The crime rate is not higher than most Seattle neighborhoods, and in my 13 years living there I was never a crime victim.
Madrona is also nicer the further east you go, and East Cherry Street has it's share of scuzz, but the main retail part of Madrona at 34th and Union is quite nice.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 PM

It just sticks in my mind that two of the six law enforcement officers that were killed this year were killed in Leschi, correct?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
It just sticks in my mind that two of the six law enforcement officers that were killed this year were killed in Leschi, correct?
No, it was one law enforecement officer killed at 29th and Yesler, at Leschi's western edge.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Oh sorry, I was thinking of the guy who shot the four Tacoma officers...he was shot in Leschi by law enforcement while trying to hide at his aunt's house...and later died from those injuries.

And right, these incidents don't mean all of Leschi is bad but it doesn't do much for the perception of Leschi being safe.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 AM

I agree. The vast majority of the Leschi neighborhood is pretty nice. One shooting changes the whole perception.
But...the guy who shot the Lakewood officers wasn't shot in Leschi. He tried to hide at his aunts house in Leschi. She wouldn't let him stay there and called the cops. he was shot in SE Seattle at 44th and Kenyon.
Lakewood police officer shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM

What do I know Ira, I live in Sammamish for goodness sakes. It's the sticks out here And that's why I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area