Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times

Advertisements

My hope is to move to Seattle by fall semester (early-mid September). I'll be out of the military with an honorable discharge, completed of 4-years active duty service, come June 1st.

My plan is to move in with my parents near Chattanooga, TN over the summer for approximately 3 months and find work (and as much of it as possible) to save for that time. Realistically, how much money should I have saved to make a move out to Seattle on my own?

Once in Seattle, I'll be going back to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill (at a community college), which pays for my education, as well as my rent (hope to have $200-$300 left over from the rent money each month, to use towards bills and cost of living).

My worries in this transition:

A. Having enough money saved to make the move, settle in and be able to find a good part-time job without pulling my hair out and smoking two packs of cigarettes a day because of stress

B. Finding that part time job.

My expenses are/will include (unless there's something I haven't though of):

-Truck payment $240/mo
-Cell phone $85 (might downgrade and get a cheaper plan, if need be (I have an iphone))
-Auto Insurance $100/mo
-Gas (varies???)
-Food
-Health insurance (no idea how much to expect to pay for this, I've never had to worry about it living with my parents and then being in the military)
-Misc (clothes, hygiene items, car maintenance, a night on the town every once in a while etc.)

I'm just looking for any/all advice I can get! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Insurance looks a little low... unless you're looking to do liability-only insurance (But if your car is new/making loan payments, you have to have full coverage, put it around 250-300 minimum).

I'm not sure what you can save on in RE: Cell phone. You can expect at a minimum of 15 dollars of taxes and fees added on towards your bill.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
2 packs a day? How much does that work out to per month dollarwise?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
2 packs a day? How much does that work out to per month dollarwise?
depending on brand, cigs are 7-9 dollars. Probably around 500 a month.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
No, I was making a joke about the smoking. I do smoke now (not quite a pack a day), but I'll be forced to quit (or cut back to only a cig or two per day) after relocating.

As for the auto insurance: I got a quote and it's about $200/mo. $100 insurance... you were nice while you lasted.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 38,724 times
Being from the middle TN area (and mother-in-law that lives in Chattanooga) let me kind of lay it out for you. Seattle is very expensive compared to Chattanooga, but definitely do-able. First, for a studio apt within the city limits count on paying around $800 - $1000 a month. Gas is over $3 a gallon for the cheap stuff. Smokes, average about $9 a pack. If you're a beer drinker (I am!) then a 6'er of Coors Light is going to be around $7 instead of $5 (there's so much great beer here!). Make sure you have enough funds to get you through a couple of months and until you get a job. Minimum wage is much higher, but so is the cost of everything else. After a few months things start to even out and you get used to paying $6 for a pint at the bar.

One thing I always use to explain the cost of living difference to friends & family back in TN is this, to have your oil changed in that area of TN you are currently in, probably runs no more than $50 on the really high end. Here it's about $75 for the average to get Jiffy Lube to change your oil. It's a good example of how pricey it is to live here. On the upside you can live a comfortable existence in Seattle and when you go back to TN you can live high on the hog because of how cheap everything is!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,185 times
$75 to change oil at Jiffy Lube? I'm in Portland, and it costs around $30 - sometimes $19.99 if you catch them on a slow day! Seriously, that seems ... wow.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Well, actually one of the Jiffy Lube's employee told my husband and I that they're going to raise the prices because the company isn't making any money... 40-75 dollars might be a possibility soon.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,185 times
That is so nuts. Then again, my cousin in New York City mentioned last week that she went to get her oil changed and they wanted $135. So she "shopped around" and found a place to do it for $85. My dad showed me how to change the oil when I first got my license. I've only done it once, though. Might be time to refresh.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
$75 at a Jiffy Lube??? I thought they charged $30? I guess they stopped using recycled oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area