Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will it happen?
2 years 5 11.90%
5 years 13 30.95%
10 years 3 7.14%
10+ years 6 14.29%
Never 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM

73,184 posts, read 62,875,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Screw the NBA I really hope that some time in my lifetime we get an NHL team! I think that there are enough supporters of the minor league teams here that a pro team would have no problem filling seats. I have no clue how many Silver tips games I have been to that have been PACKED.
Why not both. I don't watch NBA much, but if Seattle can land an MLS team, why not both NBA and NHL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM

214 posts, read 651,470 times
I just said screw the NBA because I love hockey and if it were one or the other I hope thats what we would get lol Both would be nice though.

The hard thing about sports in Seattle is it is an area that has sooo many transplants from other areas that it is hard to get people all into a Seattle team when they were die hard Yankees, Rangers etc. fans for 25 years before they moved here. Even though Seattle is your home......the sports teams here are not really most peoples "home team"

I think the other problem is that there is just so much else to do here that people are occupied with things other than sports. Its not like we live in a dirt bowl in the middle of nowhere and football IS OUR LIVES!!! lol There is just better stuff to do :P

Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM

425 posts, read 960,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
Is Seattle a good sports city without the NBA and NHL
What NBA team do people in Seattle support?
What NHL team do they support?

Also, does it rain a lot in Seattle?

I live in NY, but I think Seattle is a very good sports city. The local fans support the Seahawks & Mariners very well as well as the MLS team.

If I had to guess, I would think some of the fans of the Sonics may still support the Thunder in the NBA, as for NHL I would guess maybe Vancouver Canucks would have a fairly good following in the Pacific Northwest.

I want to move to Seattle from NY and look foward to being a regular at Safeco & Qwest.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,396,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I live in NY, but I think Seattle is a very good sports city. The local fans support the Seahawks & Mariners very well as well as the MLS team.

If I had to guess, I would think some of the fans of the Sonics may still support the Thunder in the NBA, as for NHL I would guess maybe Vancouver Canucks would have a fairly good following in the Pacific Northwest.

I want to move to Seattle from NY and look foward to being a regular at Safeco & Qwest.
No. As a Sonics fan I might like some of the players on the Thunder, but I'd just as soon see them lose every single game. And I only wish things like plagues of locusts on the owner, Clay Bennett.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,608,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Seattle lacks the African-American population required to form a start-up NBA team. I know that may sound a bit on the racially risque' side, but it's a truth of sports.
BS. Seattle had a rich tradition of support, and so does Portland.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,608,210 times
The likelihood increases as the economic climate declines. A franchise could be forced to move by bankruptcy, and may not require anything more than an updated Key Arena.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 PM

52 posts, read 192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
No. As a Sonics fan I might like some of the players on the Thunder, but I'd just as soon see them lose every single game. And I only wish things like plagues of locusts on the owner, Clay Bennett.

Agreed.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM

73,184 posts, read 62,875,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The likelihood increases as the economic climate declines. A franchise could be forced to move by bankruptcy, and may not require anything more than an updated Key Arena.
If KeyArena had been updated, maybe the former SuperSonics would still be there, and even the prospects of an NHL team in Seattle might have been thought of. Yes, Vancouver has one, but it is in Canada. Seattle needs its own NHL franchise. It needs its own NBA franchise too. The Sonics were the first major league team in Seattle. Then the Seahawks and Mariners came along from 1976-1977.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,396,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If KeyArena had been updated, maybe the former SuperSonics would still be there, and even the prospects of an NHL team in Seattle might have been thought of. Yes, Vancouver has one, but it is in Canada. Seattle needs its own NHL franchise. It needs its own NBA franchise too. The Sonics were the first major league team in Seattle. Then the Seahawks and Mariners came along from 1976-1977.
Not exactly. The Seattle Metropolitans were the first team outside of Canada to win hockey's Stanley Cup, in 1917:

Legends of Hockey -- Silverware -- 1916-17*Stanley Cup Winner -- Seattle Metropolitians

Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM

253 posts, read 969,623 times
Finally...someone with a brass pair that knows how to say what he/she wants without needing to be politically correct...I couldn't have said this any better. Seattle isn't an NBA town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Seattle lacks the African-American population required to form a start-up NBA team. I know that may sound a bit on the racially risque' side, but it's a truth of sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area