U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon!
I am so happy to say that in September (98 days away) I will be an official Washingtonian again!!! With that being said I will have to point out that although I was born and raised half my life in Washington (Tacoma & Federal Way) that I was an adolescent and vaguely remember important things such as safe neighborhoods, and hangout areas (lol). So those questions bring me here :-)

I am trying to gather as much information as possible about the best neighborhoods to live in. I am a mixture of a free-spirited, eclectic, tree-hugging, eccentric, hippie-ish, Lesbian nerd LOL! I need to know where people like me hang out and live! (For anyone who has ever been to Atlanta I want a neighborhood similar to Little 5 Points). I am in my mid-twenties, and Single, but I am in the process of starting a family so I would like to live somewhere that offers my modern mixed kind of style but is also family friendly.

Any other pertinent information would be great!!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM

21,216 posts, read 13,956,149 times
Welcome back! I would think Green Lake, maybe Capitol Hill, Ballard? Others will have fun ideas

Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,771,344 times
I'm thinking Fremont or the Central District.
Fremont is the area formerly known as the place that attracted hippies, artists, bikers. It's changed a lot over the years and is certainly no longer the place for cheap rent, but still has some interesting shops ( Deluxe Junk, among others)lots of good restaurants and still retains a semblance of the old days, with an annual parade that usually includes a contingent of nude bicyclists.
It has become more developed with Adobe opening a branch there, and some of the clubs attract frat boys in the evening. Fremont has a sculpture of the troll under the bridge eating a Volkswagen and another statue of Lenin, and a military surplus missile. I used to live in Fremont.

The Central District is the historic African American neighborhood, but I think the neighborhood is now only about 25% African American. It's another neighborhood that has seen a lot of revitalization, and there are lots of restaurants, coffee shops, an independent cinema, a food co-op. The Central District is maybe two miles from the heart of downtown Seattle, so it's very convenient. There are parts of the Central District that are still a little seedy, but the Central District has a lot of cool old houses and an interesting mix of people.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM

3,699 posts, read 10,822,064 times
What about Wallingford, Ira? I know it's pricey, but it has the widest selection of interesting shops and restaurants along 45th that I can think of in the north end. Stone Way south of 45th is interesting, too.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,771,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
What about Wallingford, Ira? I know it's pricey, but it has the widest selection of interesting shops and restaurants along 45th that I can think of in the north end. Stone Way south of 45th is interesting, too.
Wallingford is an awesome neighborhood. I think it's a neighborhood that's always been pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area