Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
The cost of living, traffic, and regulations have gone up astronomically since I was growing up there in the 70s and 80s because of the influx of wealthy people from California and other places.
The same thing has happened in California since the 70's and 80's too. Hell it's happened just since 2000. We could blame all those who've moved here from Washington and other places but, if it's happening everywhere could it be a cost of living increasing situation perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
Seattlites are too uptight and conservative on land, let alone to have a nude beach.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Seattlites are too uptight and conservative on land, let alone to have a nude beach.
Nah, there's the naked solstice bike parade. Besides, Ira said there's already a nude beach somewhere along Lake Washington

Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,406 times
Quote:
We could blame all those who've moved here from Washington and other places but, if it's happening everywhere could it be a cost of living increasing situation perhaps?
The population of Washington has probably increased 40-50% since I was growing up there, which is a huge impact. Not to mention that Microsoft and other tech companies have brought in people from all over the world and are paying them huge salaries which has also increased the cost of living dramatically.

But yes, other states have population increases too, but they don't all have limited land available like we do.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times
Quote:
The population of Washington has probably increased 40-50% since I was growing up there, which is a huge impact. Not to mention that Microsoft and other tech companies have brought in people from all over the world and are paying them huge salaries which has also increased the cost of living dramatically.

But yes, other states have population increases too, but they don't all have limited land available like we do.
California's population density is a lot higher than that of Washington.

Source:

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by W & C; 05-28-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: ommited "density"

Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,470 times
Quote:

How does Washington have less land available than other states? I'm confused about that ...

Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Yes. Wouldn't it be great if everything was always exactly the same as it always was? We can all just live in these static places where nothing changes. If you lived in a city which has lost 1/3 of its population in the past decades you'd be much more appreciative of the presence of Intel and Microsoft. If you want cheap housing costs, try Detroit! (be careful)

Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:

Perhaps, but I think the issues that I'm hearing about in Washington are not so much unique to Washington but to the west coast as a whole. California too has seen a 40-50% population increase in the last 20 years as well. When I was a teenager we had 20 million people. Today it's flirting with 40 million. The limited land is also an issue here as well. However as we see our states increasing in population, the trends have been going to other way in many eastern cities so I think we know where everyone is coming from.

For me it's really a double edged sword. I don't want Seattle to become another huge urban mess anymore than Seattle natives do. However I have I too wish to move there one day when I have the means (sorry but another Californian wishes to come to the PNW). So it seems like Seattle has some serious urban planning to do in order to accommodate both the people who are lucky enough to live there now and those of us who wish to make it a home.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM

151 posts, read 548,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
How does Washington have less land available than other states? I'm confused about that ...
I think it's because of all the water, mountains and protected areas...can't build on any of those.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
The cost of living, traffic, and regulations have gone up astronomically since I was growing up there in the 70s and 80s because of the influx of wealthy people from California and other places.
Funny, the Indians who were here before you aren't too keen on what you "native Washingtonians" did to their land

The Wooly Mammoths are pretty pissed off that the Indians came over from Asia and hunted them to extinction.

The Dinosaurs that used to roam here still haven't gotten over that stupid meteorite that messed everything up and let the mammals took over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area