Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mea-oh View Post
Now see, I live in Columbus and will be moving to Seattle in the next year. I really like this weather we've been having here over the last week. And then looking at the crap Seattle is currently having, it makes me nervous to move there.

No doubt the winters are better in Seattle (I hate the cold and snow), and the milder summers are probably better too (Columbus can get so hot and humid). But spring in Columbus is usually quite nice and right now it doesn't appear Seattle has even had a spring.

I can't wait to move to Seattle, but the spring weather is one area that concerns me. I don't get SAD (I don't think), but I get irritated with cold, cruddy days. By May it should be nice, IMO.
The winters are milder but not that milder...in my opinion its worse there when it snows as there is no plowing or salt system. The snow just mounds on the roads and gets driven on so it gets packed down. The no humidity thing is nice though.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Well, May was terrible this year. I was in L.A. for the weekend and I didn't see one cloud the entire time. I came back to cool drizzle, which supposedly had been going on the whole weekend. It actually felt pretty nice after being in the hot sun, but I'm sure it wasn't fun for everyone who stayed in town. Here's hoping June is nicer ( I have a feeling it will be).

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,567 times
I suspect it will be a very hot and sunny summer ... once summer actually gets here.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Irrational Exuberance:

You come off as someone who is a bit delusional about the weather. Its not always cloudy and rainy and there can be plenty of great weather days throughout the year. Last May was mostly sunny. And it can be consistently nice here almost any month of the year.

"How do people overcome this?"

What an inappropriately dramatic question. A lot of people dont react so bad to the cloudy and rainy weather as you do, and some even like it. I usually like cloudy and rainy weather. This region of the world has a lot of positives about its climate and it seems like you forgot that.

And the way so many people respond is so troubling, not even defending this region and the great things about it and show that the weather isnt always like this. Maybe I will go back to New York State after all because I dont want to live in a place where so many people complain about the weather that really isnt that bad, and act weak about it.

Really, the most depressing thing about when the weather is like this is when there are people who complain about it.

People in the world are actually dealing with real problems and not just getting upset by a few clouds in the sky

Toughen up, and just deal with it. It really isnt that bad, and the cloudy days can actually be nice. I dont understand why some people get so brought down by cloudy/rainy days because they be nice and get so obsessive by it, and completely devaluate all the positive things about their life and surroundings. I truly dont understand.

I hope you feel better about it. My advice is to eat healthier, take certain nutrients such as Vitamin D/Magnesium/Phosphorus/ and Calcium, and get direct sunlight for at least 15 minutes when there is direct sunlight. My advice is for you to also not spread your misery and make other people feel brought down by the weather that really isnt that bad. Also what could help is to have a much more healthy positive attitude about when it is cloudier and rainier and see that the weather/climate is not nearly as bad as you think.
Gosh, this post depressed me. How dismissive of a persons very real problem. For shame.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM

240 posts, read 534,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
The winters are milder but not that milder...in my opinion its worse there when it snows as there is no plowing or salt system. The snow just mounds on the roads and gets driven on so it gets packed down. The no humidity thing is nice though.
Well I'm pretty excited at the prospect of weather in the 40s and 50s in the winter instead of 20s and 30s, like Columbus. Some people hate chilly rain, but I'll take it over frigid temps and sun. Just personal preference.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying summer in Ohio and don't like the idea of turning on the heat in late May. We're trying to avoid turning on the AC, and I prefer that...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

253 posts, read 967,899 times
NaturalUrbanBalence - That was possible the most smug response I could have read. Go to NY and leave us be. The weather here particularly sucked this May and I like reading the OP talking about this. You sound like your from SF with that "holier than thou" and arrogant smugness elitist lip of yours...
I hope someone runs you over with their Hummer tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Irrational Exuberance:

You come off as someone who is a bit delusional about the weather. Its not always cloudy and rainy and there can be plenty of great weather days throughout the year. Last May was mostly sunny. And it can be consistently nice here almost any month of the year.

"How do people overcome this?"

What an inappropriately dramatic question. A lot of people dont react so bad to the cloudy and rainy weather as you do, and some even like it. I usually like cloudy and rainy weather. This region of the world has a lot of positives about its climate and it seems like you forgot that.

And the way so many people respond is so troubling, not even defending this region and the great things about it and show that the weather isnt always like this. Maybe I will go back to New York State after all because I dont want to live in a place where so many people complain about the weather that really isnt that bad, and act weak about it.

Really, the most depressing thing about when the weather is like this is when there are people who complain about it.

People in the world are actually dealing with real problems and not just getting upset by a few clouds in the sky

Toughen up, and just deal with it. It really isnt that bad, and the cloudy days can actually be nice. I dont understand why some people get so brought down by cloudy/rainy days because they be nice and get so obsessive by it, and completely devaluate all the positive things about their life and surroundings. I truly dont understand.

I hope you feel better about it. My advice is to eat healthier, take certain nutrients such as Vitamin D/Magnesium/Phosphorus/ and Calcium, and get direct sunlight for at least 15 minutes when there is direct sunlight. My advice is for you to also not spread your misery and make other people feel brought down by the weather that really isnt that bad. Also what could help is to have a much more healthy positive attitude about when it is cloudier and rainier and see that the weather/climate is not nearly as bad as you think.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
To AnnieA and BB_206: Im shocked by both of your responses. Both of you are overreacting to my response. So ridiculous. I actually gave much better advice to the one who posted than both of you did. You are the ones who are responding in a nasty, unfriendly, smug way. Im shocked by both of your nasty and unfriendly responses. Go ahead and focus on that post, and not the others posts in the thread. The thing you may be complaining about is exactly what you are acting like.

I dont take back what I said. I really am sorry Irrational_exuberance doesnt like the weather lately but he or she really should try to have a more positive attitude about it, and not attack Seattle and say the "weather is never nice."

I love Seattle and this region of the world. Both of your responses made no sense

Seriously, BB_206, did you really say to someone you dont know(who is me) to be run over by a car? I have never seen such a nasty response and reaction on city-data before. You should be ashamed. There is no excuse for that kind of response. And Anniea, I wasnt dismissive to someone with a problem? You make no sense niether. Why are both of you so angry at me for no reason!?

Anyways, to the moderator who reads this, I really dont think I am violating the terms of service on city-data, so I hope it isnt deleted. If the moderator thinks it violated th terms of service Im gladly delete it. I think Im just defending my point, and think BB_206 and AnnieA has violated the terms of service by attacking me, while I am telling them that this is uncalled for.

Last edited by ; 06-01-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Annie A and BB206, isn't it apparent that if you do not agree with NUB that he will defend his views as fact even to the point of being insensitive.

NUB, I really like your enthusiasm about moving to Seattle and I am happy for you. I am happy for you that you like Seattle; it is an amazing city in many aspects and I myself look forward to visiting it this summer. However, just like any city, Seattle has its downside as well. Remember though, your reality is not everyones reality. Being that you are from NY I would think you can appreciate peoples differences. Not everyone is motivated the same way. Not everyone reacts to the different temperature and weather the same way. Not everyone likes the same food. Not everyone sees things THE WAY YOU DO!

Take it for what is worth. Enjoy Seattle

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
This May has been almost as hard as May 2008 which was the first "spring" I experienced after moving here. I think if you look at the stats, it is not as bad but is almost there. That year, I had broken down and bought a blue light for therapy that March which helped immensely. I took Vit D supplements and as stated by others, worked out all the time and made sure I ate well. Now is not the time to be on a protein diet if you were thinking about it, nor to limit carbs! If you have any other issues going on in your life that may be depressing you, you might also consider speaking with a counselor about those because the depression will be exacerbated by the cloudy weather.

Going to Eastern WA was a great suggestion from someone. We were there this past Memorial Day weekend and had nice enough weather that it lifted the mood of our group significantly. Especially when we would see the Seattle weather shots come on the TV during morning news. It is not that far away so plan a day trip to Wenatchee when you can't take it anymore. I don't always mind the clouds but sometimes it's just nice if it warmer and you get that over there...along with rattlesnakes but that's another story! (One positive to the the weather we have over here!)

I have to offer that we moved here from Texas where we had lived 12 years. My husband literally got to the point where he was very depressed 5 months out of the year from the extreme heat for about the last 4 years we lived there. So essentially reverse SAD. He wouldn't go outside (and he is very outdoorsy!), he slept a lot and he was just plain grumpy. He was job searching unbeknownst to me until the day he came home and said "I can't take it anymore and I have a great offer in Seattle!". He needed a change of environment for a lot of reasons (feeling stifled career wise, had exhausted the outdoor scenery there, missed the West Coast) and the long hot days just amplified all the things he thought were wrong with Texas. Again, you might consider speaking with someone about your issues this year...especially since you can't up and move.

This is the first year my husband has complained about the weather here...and for some crazy weekend I have had no problems with it since the first year. I realize now alot of my sadness was that I was homesick for Texas and the clouds and cold made it way worse!!

Now there is no perfect weather anywhere but maybe Malibu or Santa Barbara...especially not in the Midwest where I grew up. Even though can be sunny out, days on end of snow, blizzards and below freezing temps can depress you as well so that anything looks better. They can easily get an April blizzard and spring doesn't really come on strong like mid to late May which is when people start planting flowers. The East Coast is tough as well...just ask all my relatives who weathered the winter there this year. So in a nutshell I am trying to say...no where is perfect so don't allow yourself to think that...it will only make being here worse!

Good luck with attacking this problem. You can alleviate it for sure though it may just be time to move on in the near future.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mea-oh View Post
Well I'm pretty excited at the prospect of weather in the 40s and 50s in the winter instead of 20s and 30s, like Columbus. Some people hate chilly rain, but I'll take it over frigid temps and sun. Just personal preference.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying summer in Ohio and don't like the idea of turning on the heat in late May. We're trying to avoid turning on the AC, and I prefer that...

It's interesting that I should see another Ohioan on this thread. I have applied for two jobs in Blothell and my husband is in the process of doing the same. I agree 100% about the winters here. They can be so frigid and cold. To be honest, they are pretty gloomy as well. Weather usually doesn't get to me. Indoors or out I can find something to do. But I also don't enjoy how hot it can get in NW Ohio during the summer. I'm not a person who enjoys weather that's too hot or cold...talk about hard to please! This winter was particularly rough...and cold it seemed like. I don't mind cloudy days since a lot of times it keeps the heat at bay. If I can go for a walk, ride my bike or just be outside in general (even if it is a little rainy) I'm ok.

I think Ohio is sometimes misleading...don't get me wrong, spring here is AMAZING. But winter is a different story and July/August can be miserable. I personally could never live in Florida or Arizona etc. But to each their own right?

I'm anxious to hear about what happens with these jobs and to see where our family will end up. I am wondering how children deal with the weather up there. Do many develop SAD? We have a daughter but we are ACTIVE people and really not homebodies. Our daughter is only 5 1/2 months old but we take her places, she LOVES being in the pool and loves going on walks...she really takes it all in. So do the kids just go out in the rain and enjoy it? Or do many stay inside? Just wondering...I'm sure a lot depends on the attitude the parents have as well.

Just thought I'd respond to a fellow Buckeye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area