U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM

138 posts, read 432,187 times

Advertisements

I just booked my air tickets for my trip! Hubby and I will be coming with our 10 month old and leaving our older boys at home with the grandparents. We'll be able to spend 3 full days tooling around getting in late in the PM on thursday the 1st and leaving late in the evening on sunday the 4th.

Looked into hotels and am going to be using points for a free stay. The cheapest points wise was the Courtyard in Bellevue and they did not charge for parking either. It looks pretty close to the 520 though. How is this area? Is it safe enough?

I was planning on doing our touristy things on Friday the 2nd and hopefully avoid larger crowding on the weekend of the 4th. Planned to check out Pike Place Market, the Seattle Center, Space Needle and take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island on Friday. Then on Sat and Sun, we were going to drive the neighborhoods mainly checking out Redmond, South Bellevue, North Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville and Mill Creek.

Anything I should be wary about in terms of timing, traffic, safety, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM

7,751 posts, read 14,663,720 times
That's around the Overlake area... its a busy area (that's a shopping area). It's not bad, but just busy. No need to worry about your car or anything like that. Traffic will definitely be there (148th is generally one of the busiest streets in Bellevue).

Eastside is generally very safe.

Sounds like you're very packed schedule-wise. Have fun!!

P.S. I think it'd be better to go into DT Seattle on a Sunday so that you don't have to pay for street-side parking.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 05-31-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That's around the Overlake area... its a busy area (that's a shopping area). It's not bad, but just busy. No need to worry about your car or anything like that. Traffic will definitely be there (148th is generally one of the busiest streets in Bellevue).

Eastside is generally very safe.

Sounds like you're very packed schedule-wise. Have fun!!

P.S. I think it'd be better to go into DT Seattle on a Sunday so that you don't have to pay for street-side parking.
Thanks for your input, Inkpoe

It'll be the 4th on Sunday - won't people be doing things downtown for the holiday?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 AM

7,751 posts, read 14,663,720 times
I didn't factor that in, LOL.

But if you're worried that it'll be too crowded, believe me it won't. Even when we did NYE in DT (fireworks @ the Space Needle), there were always plenty of parking, plenty of seating that if anything, everything was fine until everyone tried to leave at the same time. Seattleites usually have lots of place options that DT might very well be "dead" during the daytime.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM

We decided to stay at the Downtown Bellevue Courtyard instead. My mom is going to fly up from Hawaii and meet up with us there. Now we just need to figure out the transportation!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,462,947 times
On a trip like that, with kids and never being in Seattle (or the state) is it a good idea to rent a car or is the transportation really that good? I hear Seattle has free bus service, I'm guessing none of those come to the Bellevue area?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM

That's something I'm pricing out today... If we were going w/o the baby I'd definitely do the light rail. Renting from the airport has some heavy taxes and surcharges too boot. But maybe the convenience is worth it. Alternatively, it looks to be significantly cheaper to rent out in Bellevue and return to the airport.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM

23 posts, read 58,082 times
Ok if it's the Courtyard on 110th in downtown Bellevue then it is one of the safest place you can find. (I live just across the street from the hotel)!
It's really a great area (kind of ritzy though). There is a Neiman Marcus across the street, a high-end mall just a couple blocks away, but you probably don't want to buy anything since sales tax is 10% here (ouch).

Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM

23 posts, read 58,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
On a trip like that, with kids and never being in Seattle (or the state) is it a good idea to rent a car or is the transportation really that good? I hear Seattle has free bus service, I'm guessing none of those come to the Bellevue area?
The bus it's not free ($2.50 each way), and it's quite inconvenient (45 minute trip each way, once every hour on the weekends)

Cab rides are around $35 on the meter, so yeah a rental is not a bad idea since Bellevue doesn't have great public transit either (not for tourists anyways).

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaninWA View Post
Ok if it's the Courtyard on 110th in downtown Bellevue then it is one of the safest place you can find. (I live just across the street from the hotel)!
It's really a great area (kind of ritzy though). There is a Neiman Marcus across the street, a high-end mall just a couple blocks away, but you probably don't want to buy anything since sales tax is 10% here (ouch).
Yeah, that's the one. It looks really close to the 405 and they charge $10 per day for parking but since we're meeting up with my mom there, she wanted to be in the middle of things to do. When I was 5, we lived there for an academic year while my mom went to Bellevue College (I think). So she has some memory of having lived and gotten around in Bellevue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaninWA View Post
The bus it's not free ($2.50 each way), and it's quite inconvenient (45 minute trip each way, once every hour on the weekends)

Cab rides are around $35 on the meter, so yeah a rental is not a bad idea since Bellevue doesn't have great public transit either (not for tourists anyways).
It's looking like we'll take a cab in from the airport to the hotel the evening of the 1st then pick up the car from either Enterprise or Budget the next morning. I have to call the Bellevue location and ask if Enterprise will let us return to the airport. They are much cheaper than Budget.

The Bellevue hotel info page estimated about $45 cab fare from the airport to their location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area