Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 AM

593 posts, read 1,761,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I beg to differ. I live in San Diego and LA isn't far. I found the women in Seattle quite attractive when I was there. No need for fake ass boobs and make up. No need to die their hair some un-natural color that obviously doesn't go with them. Seattle women seem real. I think this poster is a reincarnation of a SF forum poster.
I probably could have been clearer about this, but I put 'attractive' in quotes because its a totally subjective thing.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
I probably could have been clearer about this, but I put 'attractive' in quotes because its a totally subjective thing.
No you were clear, I wasn't. I was being my usual facetious self

Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I had an absolutely miserable experience living in Seattle centered around how difficult it was to meet people who knew how to have a real conversation, but I would *never* say that people in Seattle are "rude" by any stretch.

When I first moved, I was on a date with a girl, and we were at the QFC in the U district buying some stuff for a picnic. We were in the self checkout line and had been waiting probably three or four minutes, and there was a big line behind us. We were up, and all of a sudden, this fat uni student comes out of nowhere, walks in front of the line, and starts using one of the terminals. No one said anything - people let out annoyed huffs, but said nothing. I went up to him and was like, "hey man, there's a line here," and he looked over his shoulder and said "f-you" in Japanese (he was Asian, I'm white, incidentally I speak Japanese, no one ever sees it coming). I told him off in Japanese, and then he defended, in unaccented English, "well, there were two lines, you were in the other..." I reiterated that he needed to get to the back of the line, so he sucked his teeth and got to the rear of it.

Everyone in the line behind me looked at me like I was Adolph Hitler. After we got out of the store, my date was like, "wow... you were, like, kind of aggressive there..."

That sums it up: people in Seattle are polite to a fault. They are so averse to confrontation, that it seems like most people there would rather just not interact and risk disagreeing with someone. Having been raised in Boston and then spent most of my adult years in LA, I found this perplexing.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 39,669 times
Default Rude people

If you want to experience rude people, go to Chicago. As soon as you get off the plane at the airport, you will experience the rudest bastards in the United States.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
If you want to experience rude people, go to Chicago. As soon as you get off the plane at the airport, you will experience the rudest bastards in the United States.
New York. Nuff said.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I had an absolutely miserable experience living in Seattle centered around how difficult it was to meet people who knew how to have a real conversation, but I would *never* say that people in Seattle are "rude" by any stretch.

When I first moved, I was on a date with a girl, and we were at the QFC in the U district buying some stuff for a picnic. We were in the self checkout line and had been waiting probably three or four minutes, and there was a big line behind us. We were up, and all of a sudden, this fat uni student comes out of nowhere, walks in front of the line, and starts using one of the terminals. No one said anything - people let out annoyed huffs, but said nothing. I went up to him and was like, "hey man, there's a line here," and he looked over his shoulder and said "f-you" in Japanese (he was Asian, I'm white, incidentally I speak Japanese, no one ever sees it coming). I told him off in Japanese, and then he defended, in unaccented English, "well, there were two lines, you were in the other..." I reiterated that he needed to get to the back of the line, so he sucked his teeth and got to the rear of it.

Everyone in the line behind me looked at me like I was Adolph Hitler. After we got out of the store, my date was like, "wow... you were, like, kind of aggressive there..."

That sums it up: people in Seattle are polite to a fault. They are so averse to confrontation, that it seems like most people there would rather just not interact and risk disagreeing with someone. Having been raised in Boston and then spent most of my adult years in LA, I found this perplexing.
That is hilarious.... and spot on. Better to be walked on then make a scene is the prevailing sentiment - no thanks to that! Good for you! Just out of curiosity, did you have a second date with the gal?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
That is hilarious.... and spot on. Better to be walked on then make a scene is the prevailing sentiment - no thanks to that! Good for you! Just out of curiosity, did you have a second date with the gal?
I actually had a few more dates with her, but it fizzled. And when I say it fizzled, it wasn't so much like when you dump vinegar in baking soda or a mentos in Diet Coke and wait for it to end... it was more like a souflee that got tussled too hard right out of the oven. It was a super-dull situation from the get go.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 AM

17 posts, read 84,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Philadelphians are rude. When Richie Allen played the outfield for the Phillies, he had to wear a batting helmet while playing the field, to protect his head from things being thrown at him by fans. That's the same city where Santa Claus made a halftime appearance at an Eagles game, had snowballs thrown at him, and he got booed.
That wouldn't happen here.
Philly SPORTS fans can be rude, sure. But I wouldn't class a whole city full of people based on that. I'm originally from Philly, was moved away when I was 10, then moved back 5 years ago, but to the downtown, ("Center City,") area, and even in this part, where I can't walk a block without a panhandler asking for change, (as opposed to the homeless, of which there are a TON, but they rarely ask for money,) and even THOSE people have never been rude to me when I politely tell them, "sorry, I don't have any cash on me."

No one's ever really been rude to me here at all- and I've often struck up conversations with total strangers- something I find interesting, and I'm very outgoing, but NEVER rude.

My husband and I are currently trying to decide to move to Portland, our original choice, or now, Seattle, largely BECAUSE of the climate- I have health issues that it will help- but also because we wanted to move to a cheaper but nice urban area and love the fact that there's a complete change of scenery a few miles in any direction from both cities.

We're nearly settled on moving to Seattle, first, because he'll be getting laid off within 2 weeks to about a month from now, so he'll be job hunting and there are many more jobs in his (related) field(s,) -Electrical/Software/Design Engineer, Electronics, Test Engineering, Test Automation, Embedded development, FPGA, etc.-than in the Philly METRO area, and he's tired of the 20 mile, 45-50 minute commute to outside Philly, and so am I. As of now, we have NO idea about the various neighborhoods in Seattle, but I've seen Downtown and love that, as well as Alki beach area- I could live there, I think.

We just need to find a place fast, hope we can get one with him being on unemployment and my only income is disability, (though HIS unemployment is the max allowed, so we won't be "poor," and have the $ to GET the apt.- all he has to do is get a job within a month or 3...and one that's within an easy commute by public transportation, or better still, bike, of where we live!

I am getting a bit concerned about this "Seattle freeze" thing- being a polite, friendly, but outgoing and OUTSPOKEN person, the passive-aggressive thing will bring out the AGGRESSIVENESS in me, I think. I think grievances and problems should be aired, not repressed...please tell me it's not THAT way there!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
You gotta use Seattle's anti-confrontation crap to your advantage. I do it all the time. Consider it your gift.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
I've been to Seattle 20-30 times, and lived on the eastern side of the state for 9+ years. I've also lived in Northern California for about 20 years, frequented L.A and befriended many Angelinos.

I've had some great experiences in Seattle, but all in all, the people there seem averse to engaging in anything beyond very simple pleasantries. I'll never forget the difference in energy and personality I noticed within the first month of moving from WA to the north bay area of California. I kept asking myself, "why are all of these people talking to me that I don't know, did something change since I moved?"

I think the people there just have a different mindset, and they are taken aback when someone confronts them in a positve or negative way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area