Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times

Advertisements

As to a weapon, a good choice is the Rossi Matched Pair in your choice of calibers. It is youth sized and breaks down to a perfect size for a backpack without adding too much weight, shoots quite accurately out of the box though practice to get your sight pattern right is encouraged. I chose a 22LR and 410 shotgun combo for reasons above. Big enough to suit the purpose and not so big as to eliminate reasonable caution. Both are popular enough calibers that you can find when needed. Both are light enough that you can start with a box of each or multiple boxes/brick of 22LR. I recommend upland game as most universal shot size regardless of gage shotgun chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Even though this thread is 3 years old, the subject matter is still valid.
My kit is pretty light and I carry it in the vehicle with me at all times.
I have a tarp (blue plastic, 9x11 for shelter or I can make it into a litter)
woolen blanket (warm even when wet, won't be destroyed if an ember hits it like synthetics)
50 gallon heavy garbage bags ( usually 4 as theywork for multiple purposes including extra clothing, sleeping bag, rain gear, water collection etc.)
knife (in addition to the 2 I usually carry it is a heavy fixed blade, and one I made out of carbon steel so it works with a flint to start a fire)
folding saw
firestarters/tinder (mag match, fire piston and zippo lighter and a few kitchen strike anywhere matches, my tinder is a old chewing tobacco can with cotton and vasaline in it)
candles
wind up flashlight
snare wire and a couple fishhooks and some line
paracord
multi tool
black electricians tape, (works a lot like duct tape, but smaller and easier to carry)
small pot/cup for cooking
water purifier (iodine)
and some bullion cubes and protein bars for emergency rations.
extensive first aid kit
Extra socks/skivvys/gloves/wool cap/long handles and a light but warm jacket.
a referees whistle for emergency communication or calling for help.
A steel mirror (for signaling and also works for starting fires)

The wife's pack is pretty much the same, with a couple added things for ladies

I agree with Submariners choices, but the current situation is that 22 ammunition is nearly impossible to get, so I would go with a more widely available cartridge like the 30-30 Winchester for the rifle.

410 is a good choice for small game, but a 20 gage is more versatile for larger waterfowl as well as small game and upland birds as well as self defense. A single shot gun works very well. I would also go with a shot size large enough to take the local game, but not so large it would rip up the small game.

I am not a huge fan of the combo guns, but they are out there and do work. Combination gun - Ask.com Encyclopedia

My main argument against them is the fact if you break your weapon, you only have one and you are SOL no matter how much ammunition you have.

I know the country I am in intimately as I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, I carry what I use so I don't need a lot.
My bug out bag is set up for indefinite stays in the wild, but I carry enough so that even on foot I could cover the ground necessary to reach one of my backup sites within a few days.

If you have a plan in place you can make your plans of what you need to have in your bag to get to safety, or survive for a period depending on your situation.
For example, there is a place not far from where I live with a lot of caves, (shelter), and lots of rattlesnakes (Food), and a river, (Water and more food). Firewood would be the main problem, but there are a lot of shrubs around there and if I have a good cave, I wouldn't need as much wood as I would if I were in an exposed position.

Make your plans of where you would go, then you can make your bag up accordingly.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 10-03-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 AM

285 posts, read 927,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSW View Post
The hubby and I have been searching through sites and books to put together a comprehensive list of what should be in an emergency pack. We have some differences in opinion on some items, but I wanted to post and get an outside opinion. Granted, the list is based on situation, location, type of disaster, etc- but I wanted to make sure we had the basics. Also, if you have any insight on types of items (Ex: You found an ultra lightweight tent that you swear by) please share. We've visited so many sites and outdoors stores that it's a bit foggy now.

BOB/GAG/Go Pack
-Bag:
--Ex-Military/ Alice Pack
--Hiking Back Packs with braces
--Duffel Bag
--lock or no lock?
-Food:
--MRE vs Freeze Dried (Camping food)
--3600 Calorie bar
--lightweight non perishables (Tuna in a bag)
--Energy/ Granola Bars
-Water:
--Water Purification tablets
--Filtration systems
--collapsible containers
--cartons of water
--hydration packs
-First Aid:
--Pre-Packaged kits vs do it your self
--Trauma & Burn Kits
-Gear:
--Para-cord/ Rope
--Duct tape/ zip ties/ bungee cords
--Multi-function tool/ leathermans/ swiss army
--Flashlight/ Candles
--Fire starter/ Waterproof matches/ lighter
--crank radio
--Tent
--camping cantina set
--Sleeping bag
--Poncho
--Blanket
--Gloves
--face mask
--binoculars
--Large plastic trash bag
--Notepad & Pen
--clothes line
--wire coat hanger
--jumper cables/ car tools
--bolt cutters
--Hand body warmers
--Waterproof map
--survival book
--whistle
--compass
-Personal:
--Sun screen
--insect repellent
--shampoo/ soap/ wipes
--tooth brush/paste
--comb/brush
--feminine products
--razors
--lip balm
--deodorant
--anti-fungal foot powder
--toilet paper
--hat/ cap
--socks
--underwear
--bandanna
--good walking shoes
--sweater/ jacket
--Pair of pants & shorts
--Long-sleeved and short-sleeved shirts
--sunglasses/ reading glasses
--Phone card
--emergency contact list
--copy of important documents
--book/ cards/ games
--sewing kit
--extra shoe laces
-Cash
--$100 in small bills
--Change

have you checked here? Gear Up [Preparedness, Emergency Supplies, Disaster Supplies and Outdoor Gear

Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,093 times
I would get a Ruger 10/22 Takedown for the Rifle.

And a 9mm or .40S&W for a handgun. Both if you can.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:10 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
The bag should be packed for where you live and where you plan to go with it...also for what emergency.

My general thoughts:

Car Pack= general tools to get you to safety/help...What's in it? Depends on your car and where you live.

Decide your strategy first.....bug out or bug in? What's it for? Weather, civil unrest, invasion(foreign or domestic), disaster. Are you trying to distance yourself or blend in?

Decide if military looking gear will get you noticed more than civilian camping gear. For those thinking Red Dawn scenarios...you might want to look like the general populace which means The North Face type gear insted of tactical or milsurp.

Items many miss:

Heavy clear and black plastic sheeting.
Sewing kits
Water purification gear
Medications
Solar/crank chargers
Peroxide, salt, ointments, baking soda, toothbrushes
TP
Manual barber shears
can openers
Flexible hose
Rope
Quality sealable baggies of different sizes
a small notebook and pencil
Sidewalk chalk
a couple different sized Sharpies
eating utensils
5 ways to start a fire
Book/manual/guide of local vegetation
String/fishing line
Small prybar
small mirror
tweezers
Superglue
cable/padlocks ....you never know...
Copies of personal documents
multi-tip screwdriver...keep tips that fit everything in your bag that has fasteners...many people overlook this!
Be able to tighten knife handles, take apart your radio etc..
Q-tips
Wd-40
Coconut oil...can be used as sunscreen, skin lotion, antifungal, cuts, abrasions, rashes, cooking, dental health, hair conditioner, anti-itch and many other uses...very versatile.
Coffee filters
cheescloth
ear plugs
safety glasses/goggles
honey, cinnamon, garlic
Legacy seeds
machette/hatchet/axe
aspirin/ibuprofen
rubber bands
wire
utility scissors

Several types of knives...they aren't all equal.
Gut hook
Fillet
skinner
tactical
emergency

I also wouldn't use my defense or gutting knife to eat with unless I had no other choice...

General all purpose firearms.
If you're on a budget I would get at least a .22lr rifle and one handgun.
The rifle is for food supply primarily and the handgun is for personal defense.

For the Red Dawn scenario these two firearms give you the ability to upgrade as you go. Spending $1,200 on an AR/AK today when you could spend that money on water filtration and pick up your AR/AK from the ground later seems silly to me. If you got the money though, go for it. I like the idea of being very quiet and mobile and letting the enemy supply me. FWIW.

In other emergencies a good .22 will take you very far.

I like the 10/22 because it's proven and has an unlimited amount of parts available...and it's relatively cheap...it also doesn't look too scary in stock form.

For handguns I like the .45 personally but to each their own...I do recommend matte stainless though for cleaning ease.

I like to have different levels of bags packed for increasing levels of survival.

That means starting with what you carry on you...small knife/multitool, mylar blanket, black electrical tape, lighter, p38 and spork, wet wipes individually wrapped. All of that can be carried in a fanny pack or cell phone/camera case on your belt.

Get home bag...usually in the car.

Obviously you're not carrying your BOB everywhere so have a strategy for getting TO it.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
I've read most of the posts on this forum and see a lot of good information. You BOB will depend on where you live or possibly where you plan on going. Obviously you can carry more supplies in a vehicle than you can carry in a backpack on your back. Where I live we do not have strict and foolish gun control laws, so I don't have to have anything locked up in my vehicle unless I choose to do so. I can pick from almost any type of firearm on the market today, but for myself I would pick a 22 caliber handgun and a 22 caliber rifle. I might keep other firearms in my vehicle or on my person. A 22lr rifle or pistol will kill just about anything you wish to kill if you are careful with the shot placement. The reason I would pick a 22 is because you can easily carry a couple hundred rounds with you, and I have a suppressor that will fit on a Ruger Mk I or one of my 10/22 Ruger rifles. I also carry a 386PD Smith & Wesson revolver on a daily basis. A good supply of water is a must to survive, and it would be wise to stock up on any medication you need if you have a medical problem. Your plans need to take in account the weather where you live, and the changing conditions we will be faced with as weather approaches. Survival is a never ending study, good luck.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:48 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times

Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I... carry a 386PD Smith & Wesson revolver on a daily basis.
Do you carry .357 or .38 sp. in that? How is it for follow-up shots? I know recoil is very heavy.

I carry a 649 in the side pocket when I'm wearing a coat and a 638 in my side pants pocket during warmer weather. The 649 is fine with .357 ammo but I'm glad the 638 is a .38. Do you have any experience with a steel J-frame .357? If so, how would you compare the recoil with your 386 PD using .357 ammo?

Thanks

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-21-2013 at 02:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness