Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why is it that everyone assumes if you don't make big bucks, you're automatically a sponge? Why do they assume you WANT food stamps? Why do they assume you're all shaky kneed, stupid, and down on your luck? I knew this thread would become a class statement.
Because many people who are satisfied with surviving on hardly any income and being self sufficent,usually have the government totally supporting them when they get older.

The same government they blasted in their younger years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Hi:

I have been a "survivalist" pretty much all my life, having to survive growing up in a semi-dysfunctional household, a marriage to an emotionally abusive man, and have spent the last decade as a single, full-time working mother trying to raise my children and meet our needs on a low income. I know a lot about being frugal, thrifty, resourceful, and have always at least made my best attempt to stay one step ahead of the unexpected. It is my frugality and resourcefulness, plus having the wits to withstand many adversities I never thought I'd face, that have enabled us to survive so far.

However, with the events of recent years, I feel even more of a pressing, urgent need to pay close attention to what is happening around me, and in this country at large. I do not like what I see happening, especially to those of us on the lower end of the economic spectrum, struggling to do the right thing by working hard and trying to be self-sufficient, but the forces seem to be against us at almost every turn. More recently, I see an exploitation of workers, including at my own employer, caused by the economic downturn and lack of decent paying jobs. I fear that my children face a severe struggle to survive and live gainfully.

The problem with most survival blogs that I have found, is that they don't apply to people in my situation. People who still need to work for income, don't make a large salary, don't have many assets or resources to draw from, and are struggling month to month or paycheck to paycheck just to get by as it is.

It's easy to say "Pay off all your Debts", "Save Money", "Buy a Few Acres of Land Somewhere", "Build a Little Log Cabin", etc. That's easy to do if you are fortunate enough to have a good income, or have investment money you can draw from, or are retired and don't have to work for a living anymore.

What are some suggestions for those of us who are "living on the edge" between surviving and not already?

Thanks.

First off I commend you on your resourcefulness and being frugal. It's a tough world out there and it's going to be tougher for our younger generations.

Our society can make it very hard for the people on the edge and who are willing to work.

I remember when was younger and had electric turned off or I could only buy Ramen noodles at home(good thing I worked at restaurants) because I couldn't afford my bills. For many many years I worked two and three jobs often working over 80 ours a week. It wasn't a fun time but necessary.

I worry about the future also and I don't think there is any sure way. I know you have to work hard and do the best you can to protect yourself and your family. It sounds like you are doing most that you can. Can you get another job? Any job. What about side jobs...cleaning houses, lawn care, handyman(woman), childcare, pet sitting, haircutting, sell crafts and canned goods. There are many things you can do on the side to bring in some extra money.

I think Americans are going to have to learn more about sacrifice in our future...and more people will have to share housing to cut expenses. It's going to be a rude awakening for many.

I wish you the best.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Because many people who are satisfied with surviving on hardly any income and being self sufficent,usually have the government totally supporting them when they get older.

The same government they blasted in their younger years.
I think the problem with that generalizing attitude on most anything is that the baby always gets thrown out with the bathwater. The sooner we realize that the world is made up of individuals and that each individual should be "judged" on his/her individual actions, the better.

I could say that old people usually ride around in giant-sized motor homes and get in my way when I'm driving on the freeway. But would that be fair? I don't think it would.

I could say that I've only seen black swans... therefore all swans are black.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM

129 posts, read 331,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Take a look at this woman, DorothyAinsworth.com, sounds like she was in a similar situation to yours and she managed to become mostly self-sufficient. Might be some good ideas for you there.

This person spent a lot of $$ How bout spending 2k land living in a home made shead going solar, collecting rainwater or hauling it in. with a composting toilet.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
I agree that Ms. Ainsworth spent a lot of money (or at least used methods that would cost her a lot of money if she hadn't been a compulsive salvager and haggler). Many of the things on her 'stead could have been done differently to reduce costs even more... a smaller cabin, rainwater instead of well, composting toilet instead of septic, etc. (but some of those options were limited/restricted by local legislation). But what she does show is that a single working mother with low income can be mostly self-reliant and create a self-sufficient homestead if she's willing to learn new skills and put in the labor hours.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Hi:

I have been a "survivalist" pretty much all my life, having to survive growing up in a semi-dysfunctional household, a marriage to an emotionally abusive man, and have spent the last decade as a single, full-time working mother trying to raise my children and meet our needs on a low income. I know a lot about being frugal, thrifty, resourceful, and have always at least made my best attempt to stay one step ahead of the unexpected. It is my frugality and resourcefulness, plus having the wits to withstand many adversities I never thought I'd face, that have enabled us to survive so far.

However, with the events of recent years, I feel even more of a pressing, urgent need to pay close attention to what is happening around me, and in this country at large. I do not like what I see happening, especially to those of us on the lower end of the economic spectrum, struggling to do the right thing by working hard and trying to be self-sufficient, but the forces seem to be against us at almost every turn. More recently, I see an exploitation of workers, including at my own employer, caused by the economic downturn and lack of decent paying jobs. I fear that my children face a severe struggle to survive and live gainfully.

The problem with most survival blogs that I have found, is that they don't apply to people in my situation. People who still need to work for income, don't make a large salary, don't have many assets or resources to draw from, and are struggling month to month or paycheck to paycheck just to get by as it is.

It's easy to say "Pay off all your Debts", "Save Money", "Buy a Few Acres of Land Somewhere", "Build a Little Log Cabin", etc. That's easy to do if you are fortunate enough to have a good income, or have investment money you can draw from, or are retired and don't have to work for a living anymore.

What are some suggestions for those of us who are "living on the edge" between surviving and not already?

Thanks.
Chances are if people can only 'buy' their way into survival mode, they aren't going to make it anyway because they have no survival spirit. A survival spirit doesn't come from an easy charmed life, it comes from beating the odds. If you have it, you'll survive even if you are only left with a box and a potato because you are programmed that way. In short, you are the rich one my friend, even if it doesn't always feel like it.

This also applies to your kids.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Well functioning people pretty much get what they want. So, if a person is twice divorced, broke, and unemployed then calling them a loser is not going to be far off. Of course, there are some coincidences and accidents. And, of course the ill and infirm do not usually want those conditions. But, for the most part, a loser is a loser because they have made the choices in life that a loser makes. And, if they are successful in San Jose, they will probably be successful in Portage Creek.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well functioning people pretty much get what they want. So, if a person is twice divorced, broke, and unemployed then calling them a loser is not going to be far off. Of course, there are some coincidences and accidents. And, of course the ill and infirm do not usually want those conditions. But, for the most part, a loser is a loser because they have made the choices in life that a loser makes. And, if they are successful in San Jose, they will probably be successful in Portage Creek.
Well stated !

Old 08-01-2010, 07:10 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Problem is, the term "loser" changes on the whim of society, the accuser's perspective, and the times. I'm sure we are all loser's in the eye's of someone like George Soros and his ilk.

The skill sets required to be successful in a San Jose software company and the skill sets required for subsistence agriculture are completely different and there is no way they are interchangeable. Do you honestly feel that some fat cat CEO from San Jose, who spends his free time picking up chicks in his Ferrari, has any more chance of being successful at a purely subsistence agricultural lifestyle than does some grimy old "loser" from the backwoods of the Ozarks have a chance at being successful as a CEO in San Jose? If so, I'd like to see it. Make a great reality show, eh?

The CEO would be a loser when out of his field of expertise and the hillbilly would be a loser out of his field of expertise. Swapped, they would both be "winners." If I tried to do the things you have a talent for or skill at, you'd make me look like a loser. If you tried to the things I have a talent for or skill at, I'd make you look like a loser. "Loserhood" is all relative, and I've decided not to call anyone a loser. I don't know their story. I haven't lived their lives.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Problem is, the term "loser" changes on the whim of society, the accuser's perspective, and the times. I'm sure we are all loser's in the eye's of someone like George Soros and his ilk.

The skill sets required to be successful in a San Jose software company and the skill sets required for subsistence agriculture are completely different and there is no way they are interchangeable. Do you honestly feel that some fat cat CEO from San Jose, who spends his free time picking up chicks in his Ferrari, has any more chance of being successful at a purely subsistence agricultural lifestyle than does some grimy old "loser" from the backwoods of the Ozarks have a chance at being successful as a CEO in San Jose? If so, I'd like to see it. Make a great reality show, eh?

The CEO would be a loser when out of his field of expertise and the hillbilly would be a loser out of his field of expertise. Swapped, they would both be "winners." If I tried to do the things you have a talent for or skill at, you'd make me look like a loser. If you tried to the things I have a talent for or skill at, I'd make you look like a loser. "Loserhood" is all relative, and I've decided not to call anyone a loser. I don't know their story. I haven't lived their lives.
I think that well functioning people do not undertake tasks for which they do not have the skills. Just because someone is a CEO somewhere does not mean that he lacks a skill set for rural or wilderness survival. If we have to pick teams sight unseen, I'll take the CEO every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness