Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
So let me get this straight--only older people should be able to homestead because they have worked and lived within popular society? Only now, after years of working meaningless jobs and buying into consumerism, do they realize that this is a healthy, rewarding lifestyle so they are going simplify, become self-sufficient and secure their own freedom. Bravo! Way to go! Yes, that is the way!

Wait, you are young and realize this? How dare you! Who the hell is going to take care of you in 60 years? Definately not me! Get out there and work the office grindstone and live in suburbia hell.

Homesteading is and should be a choice any one can make, no matter the gender, race, income, or age. Plenty of older citizens try homesteading and fail miserably, just like young ones do. Some don't plan for what will happen will they get too old to work the land--except that in older homesteaders' cases, that is a lot sooner. Someone who is 28 has 30-40 years to figure it out.

I think people who are 28 have no illusions regarding Social Security being there for them....my wife and I know it won't be there for us and we are older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
My very basic opinion. People should be more responsible for themselves in every way. Plan for the future and save for a rainy day. The government, using our tax money, bails too many people out.

This applies to young and old. I hate having to pay for slugs and scammers....sorry but that is my opinion. Help the people who want to help themselves...that's it. And if you didn't prepare and you have assets or blew through your money with wasteful spending and keeping up with the "Joneses" then you are on your own. The only exception to me is kids and people with "real" medical conditions that couldn't be avoided with preventative care.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

I think people who are 28 have no illusions regarding Social Security being there for them....my wife and I know it won't be there for us and we are older.

Another thing the government did and blew. Poor planning...just like pensions. Yeah we should have all kept our own social security deductions and planned for ourselves.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Another thing the government did and blew. Poor planning...just like pensions. Yeah we should have all kept our own social security deductions and planned for ourselves.
Poor planning?
It was never supposed to work,it was a ponzi scheme but just run by the fedgov.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Poor planning?
It was never supposed to work,it was a ponzi scheme but just run by the fedgov.
So I was being nice, lol. The American people believed it.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Works for me.

I paid in from 1963-2007 and now I'm getting monthly checks.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Works for me.

I paid in from 1963-2007 and now I'm getting monthly checks.
Well as long as you get yours....

Most people have paid in to the system in some way or another,even those young homesteader types...

Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Really?

How do young homesteaders , whose desire is to only earn enough money for property taxes and farm supplies, pay in ?

Please explain-------paid in the system in some way or other.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM

If you have worked you have paid in to the system.

To become a homesteader,there is a good chance you worked beforehand.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
We tried this once when we were in our 20s. We failed and I went back to a career that I had been successful in [but disliked].

Now that I am on pension, I might not be paying income taxes but I still pay into SSA.

SS could go away, I have no idea if it will or not. I have heard it conjectured many times that it might, but only because it's funds were raided numerous times in the past by congress. Had it remained separate and sacred it would have never ran out of funds.

Will my pension go away? I have no idea. If our Federal Government collapses, then yes I would lose my pension. Though I think that at that point many others would likewise be having problems as well.

I think that my best option is today to try and being producing as much as I can. For myself and to sell on the roadside. I if can pump my own water, make my own electricity, raise my own meat, grow my own veggies, cut my own heating fuels [coppicing is far less taxing on your back then cutting and splitting, but it is a nearly forgotten art]. Then in theory I will be far less reliant on the government.

How will this work when I am older? I am not sure. I do see one example where a friend has put his farm into an LLC, with a younger couple as partners. So when he dies they will be the surviving partners and the farm will continue [in theory].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness