Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

It really depends on the type of gum disease that you fightig. Some mouthwashes can actaully cure some over time. Other that efffect holfd bactria below the gum lines that can travel thru the blood stream to teh heart values casuing damage it will do nothing for.That is why flossing is so important to get below the gum line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Me too, I have a lot of fillings and some cowns and still have all of my teeth. Since I have used the baking soda, the only dental work I have needed is when previous dental work needs repaired.........and that isn't very often, it has been years.

I recently lost my dental insurance too......NOW.........watch a filling crack or fall out.
I sure hope not !

We are seniors and both have natural teth, but if somethign happened we'd be in trouble .

I still have 3 wisdom teeth, never had any problems with them, but now I worry about if I did .

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It really depends on the type of gum disease that you fightig. Some mouthwashes can actaully cure some over time. Other that efffect holfd bactria below the gum lines that can travel thru the blood stream to teh heart values casuing damage it will do nothing for.That is why flossing is so important to get below the gum line.

This is true of course . It killed my favorite comedian 'the late great ' Lewis Grizzard '. Gave him an infection that messed up his heart .

Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
co Q 10, flossing, intradental brushes, soft natural bristle (not nylon) toothbrushes, and Rembrandt toothpaste for me. No sorbitol, alcohol, or aspartame rinses...My dentist lasered several receeding gums, and tightened them up. No problems. I want to keep my teeth.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM

377 posts, read 877,894 times
I just wanted to comment that even a toothpaste with baking soda and peroxyde leaves your mouth feel "cleaner" than a regular toothpaste

Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I've found that mixing up your batch before each brushing helps keep whatever essential oil you're using more effective in combating the icky baking soda and peroxide tastes. I normally keep a jar of pre-dissolved soda paste, scoop out a teaspoon and add a drop of oil to make enough for DH & I to brush with that day, and add a couple drops to my peroxide swish cup right before I rinse.

On a side note - I've found that cinammon, clove and anise don't "disappear" quite as quickly as mint. Wintergreen, tea tree and eucalyptus last awhile as well, longer than mint. Maybe mint is more volatile?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM

And another side note -- some essential oils have strong anti-microbial properties, so adding them to a natural Soda/Peroxide regime probably helps a bit more than just fresh breath.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I love the taste of baking soda. I wet my toothbrush and dip it into a shaving mug filled with baking soda and brush away dry. I do not believe (although I never looked it up) that baking soda is harder than tooth enamel. So I don't think there is any abrasion. I'm sure if my dentist perceived anything at all, after 25 years he would have noted it.

Sometimes I will just put a teaspoon of BS in a paper cup with an inch of water and rinse my mouth out for that clean fresh taste.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM

I think stiff synthetic bristle brushes erode your tooth enamel more than the mild abrasive properties of baking soda ever could. I mean, they clean priceless antique china and ceramics with baking soda, which I'm sure they wouldn't do if it was horribly abrasive or corrosive.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Another "natural" toothpaste can be made from calcium carbonate -- chalk. It is also mildly abrasive like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), is high in pH to balance oral plaque acidity levels, and may have the added benefit of supplementing your tooth enamel with additional calcium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness