Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 18,793 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need some advice/tips/tricks...I am moving into a new apartment and the refrigerator smells terrible. It has probably been unplugged for a while. I am going to clean it. Bought Arm & Hammer Baking Soda...but the smell is so bad that it will be like a miracle when it works and it's all gone. Is this common for a fridge that has been left by previous tenants?

Any help is appreciated!

Also, I checked the hot water in my bathroom and shower. It was not getting hot. Could this be because I have not activated my electricity yet? Told landlord about this...he said he is checking on it. Kitchen sink water got hot though.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Refrigerator smells because they left food in it when the last tenant moved out. this probably cannot be fixed. Insist that they replace it. As for the hot water, they should be from the same source. If so, your hot water is inadequate.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I got an old refrigerator once that had a terrible smell. But it was free. After a year outside with the door open and facing the prevailing winds, the smell was gone. We cleaned it with bleach and it worked for ten years. After the motor went out, it was a good storage unit.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You left a refrigerator outside with the door open for a year, waiting for the smell to go away? I don't care if it WAS free, I think I would have lost interest much sooner than that.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Washing out the fridge with mild bleach or peroxide solution, including all the shelves/drawers/seals and then leaving a plate of baking soda AND a plate of coffee grounds in it for a few days should eliminate the smell unless something really juicy oozed out into the casing itself. But if thorough cleaning and deodorizing aren't working you should ask the landlord to replace it because it could be/become a serious health risk.

How far are the lukewarm fixtures from the hot water heater? If the house is older and uses metal pipes, it's likely that the pipes aren't insulated so any water to the faucet far away from HW tank will have lost most of it's heat by the time it gets there. Also, with particularly hard water, you get mineral deposits in the hot water lines that eventually restrict flow down to a dribble... how is the pressure on those fixtures when only the HW is running? If the house is older and has cast iron or steel pipes, they may be reaching their maximum lifespan and have started to corrode and the corrosion is blocking the pipes (happens much earlier in the HW than the CW pipes) -- have you noticed that your water looks rusty?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You left a refrigerator outside with the door open for a year, waiting for the smell to go away? I don't care if it WAS free, I think I would have lost interest much sooner than that.
It didn't require any interest once it was sitting there. It was like a tree or a boulder.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
heat you up some apple cider vineger and the soak a rag with it and place it in the fridge.
After a few days the smell will be gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness