Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM

593 posts, read 890,122 times

Advertisements

FEMA with its history of waste and inefficiency is partially responsible for driving emergency food prices higher (purchasing 1 billion dollars) from what they were months ago. Food for Health (the number one source has lines going 24/7 and opening up another four lines (including weekends) in an attempt to keep up with overwhelming demand while a mostly clueless ,pathetic, affluent society (US) remains ill prepared for any emergency not withstanding a food pantry. FEMA will remain suspect as a poor source of storage,handling and incompacitating distribution (should it be required). My wife and I purchased the 275 meals (foiled ,deoxygenated, dehydrated,20 year life for $89 last month it's now $157!!! and some compaines are charging similar high prices upwards to $300! The point is most will not be able to afford to "prepare" even with a plan, but for those still thinking creatively I'm sending out a warning to hunker down . Additionally, you need Seychele water filters, survival supplies,and even a pet pantry!!! I 'am begging all my friends in Data to get prepared for varying degees of widespread disasters where self sufficiency will be required.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 04-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: formating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:14 PM

99 posts, read 531,441 times
Your definition of "survival food" is considerably different than mine. You don't need to buy fancy prepackaged meals to be prepared. Yes, food prices are rising, but you are paying dearly for convenience.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
Your definition of "survival food" is considerably different than mine. You don't need to buy fancy prepackaged meals to be prepared. Yes, food prices are rising, but you are paying dearly for convenience.
I second the motion.

We store dry goods (oatmeal, rice, pasta, sugar, salt canisters, pancake mix) in heavy plastic bags inside 5-gallon food-grade backets. We supplement this with canned goods, mostly all bought on sale: veggies, fruits, soups, tuna, spam, spaghetti sauces, gravies, beans, and so forth.

Our diet, when we use this stuff (which we do, regularly) is considerably more diverse, tasty, and nutritionally sound than most of the long-term storage company's #10 freeze-dried stuff. Cheaper, too.

Store what you eat, and eat what you store. Practice FIFO (first in, first out) for rotation. You'll have less of an upset stomach from sudden dietary change, and you won't have to give a rat's tail what FEMA is doing.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Buy in bulk. When I do a Costco trip, I rarely get out of there with a bill of less than $500, but then, we are stocked with supplies for a few months. I go to the store less.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM

26 posts, read 43,167 times
I agree and I know some really hard times are coming.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
OP, the food costs more not because of FEMA buying it up. It costs more because the dollar is worth considerably less and that others are taking prepping more seriously. The FEMA thing has been disproven and is an internet rumor, though, thank you for your concern.

It is important to be able to prepare without shouting that the sky is falling. Don't panic, just prepare and buy wisely those things you will eat and use even if nothing happens. Rotate what you buy and eat what you rotate.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Also the brand of water filters you suggest mentions nothing about removing fluoride that can not be removed by granular activated carbon or carbon block which your filters use.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
FEMA with its history of waste and inefficiency is partially responsible for driving emergency food prices higher (purchasing 1 billion dollars) from what they were months ago. Food for Health (the number one source has lines going 24/7 and opening up another four lines (including weekends) in an attempt to keep up with overwhelming demand while a mostly clueless ,pathetic, affluent society (US) remains ill prepared for any emergency not withstanding a food pantry. FEMA will remain suspect as a poor source of storage,handling and incompacitating distribution (should it be required). My wife and I purchased the 275 meals (foiled ,deoxygenated, dehydrated,20 year life for $89 last month it's now $157!!! and some compaines are charging similar high prices upwards to $300! The point is most will not be able to afford to "prepare" even with a plan, but for those still thinking creatively I'm sending out a warning to hunker down . Additionally, you need Seychele water filters, survival supplies,and even a pet pantry!!! I 'am begging all my friends in Data to get prepared for varying degees of widespread disasters where self sufficiency will be required.

The price is higher because of supply and demand and consumers driving up the price because. Not because of FEMA.

You should actually be mad at your suppliers that you purchased from, not FEMA. In times of an emergency FIMA will give that same food out free. It's people like you who are purchasing it for yourself that's driving the price up.

Hell if you were really smart you would be using your money to grow your own crops and stock piling that. With that $89 I can grow and store enough food to last me years, not less then three months like you have.

But before you place the blame on FEMA you need to look at yourself as a consumer and the way consumers are driving the price up because of supply and demand.

busta

Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
But even though FEMA's buying it all, I bet you got it on "sale".

Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
The QE2 of disaster preparation. LOL

Seriously so what if they are buying the heck out of the SHTF food. Just means more jobs and money flowing into the private sector to create more what? That's right SHTF food. Consumers and inflation drive up the market price of these items. Of course FEMA is a huge consumer of this type of emergency food. Kind of nice for hurricane, flood, earthquake, dirt nuke disaster victims don't ya think. Listen to the other posters about calm food storage. Lots of great info. Never panic buy only suckers do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness