Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM

136 posts, read 481,176 times

Advertisements

There are no security jobs around sf bay area.. For the most part there are no jobs . If you have one KEEPIT, If it is good pay it is the last one you will get.

You will have the plug puled out on you. You are not bullet proof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
In the San Francisco bay area. You will not get a unskilled job at a target ,walmart or any fastfood here if you are caucasian.

You would not belive how many fastfood workers that have been working at Macdonalds for over 10 years
I used to live in the Bay area. I HATED it. And employers are the worst there, than anyplace that I've ever lived (and I've lived in several different cities). They are so fascist! They'll do anything that they can, to make sure that you can't have permanent, long-term work. They LOVE to get rid of their employees, for any flimsy reason. So if you live in the Bay area, you'll most likely find yourself temping, taking short-term project jobs, or getting pushed out of a job, practically as soon as you get it.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I used to live in the Bay area. I HATED it. And employers are the worst there, than anyplace that I've ever lived (and I've lived in several different cities). They are so fascist! They'll do anything that they can, to make sure that you can't have permanent, long-term work. They LOVE to get rid of their employees, for any flimsy reason. So if you live in the Bay area, you'll most likely find yourself temping, taking short-term project jobs, or getting pushed out of a job, practically as soon as you get it.
Regarding fast-food jobs, I think that's the way it is across the board- they hire loads of people, then give them all anywhere from five to maybe 11 hours a week- I'm not sure exactly why, if it's so they don't have to offer benefits, well that went out when they came out years ago with the new working status "part-time full-time"....as opposed to if a person was hired and worked 40 hours per week, the employer had to offer them benefits- but after that happened, employers could work a person 40 hours a week and state that they were the new "part-time full-time" so they DIDN'T have to offer them any benefits. Ridiculous.

I've read various postings on news websites about people that are unable to find jobs- and it amazes me that so many people will tell them, "take any job you can get, fast food, etc.", and then comment on the fact that most people don't want to take menial jobs like that. Um...hello, those kind of jobs are just as hard to get as SKILLED, DEGREE'D jobs are! Gone are the days when people used to be able to get one of those jobs quickly to pick up the slack until they could find a "regular" job- I knew someone who went to Taco Bell to apply, and they asked for a resume. .....A resume...at Taco Bell? Whatever happened to just a plain, old application??

Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Here's another interesting thing I've noticed the last few years- and I use the term "interesting" in a very loose way....a couple of jobs I have had (which were office jobs) would hire me, but the "job hat" I wore would usually consist of not the one job that I was hired for, but up to two others besides that. At one place I worked at, there were two people from two other jobs that quit- I was hired for a third position-and instead of hiring two other people for the two jobs that were open, they gave both of them to me on top of the job I already had. Of course, I wasn't paid a penny more for the other two jobs....and the person who's job I had taken over (as registrar) had the actual title- they didn't give me the same title, even though I was doing the exact same job...because that would have entailed paying me a little bit more-

Sigh. It is definitely an employers market out there, these days!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM

323 posts, read 1,791,297 times
And may I just add my two cents here : Blockbusters, Hollywood video's application process is so extreme that you would think they are hiring you for Vice president of the company. They make you take this online exam that is very difficult to pass. I mean these kids are applying for customer service jobs not the president of the company. After this one young man I knew applied to a number of positions he pretty much gave up because he could not pass these online application questions. They are all case scenarios:IE If you were at the front desk and someone wanted you to give them a video for free what would you do? They ask these type of scenario questions in multiple ways.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
And may I just add my two cents here : Blockbusters, Hollywood video's application process is so extreme that you would think they are hiring you for Vice president of the company. They make you take this online exam that is very difficult to pass. I mean these kids are applying for customer service jobs not the president of the company. After this one young man I knew applied to a number of positions he pretty much gave up because he could not pass these online application questions. They are all case scenarios:IE If you were at the front desk and someone wanted you to give them a video for free what would you do? They ask these type of scenario questions in multiple ways.
I know the tests you mean and there are "cheat sheets" for them if you do a little searching on the net. Do a google under unicru answer key

I tell you this because in my opinion these "tests" are all total BS anyway, but anything that helps

Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
My son just applied for a job at Blockbusters, and he was telling me about the absurd testing- it just seems to be getting worse, seriously- I can recall a couple of times where I was interviewed up to three times, by first one, then two, then three people in a panel- you would think I had a master's or something, and was applying for CEO, ha- I have an associate's and that's it-

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Hungry View Post
I'm pretty much out of cash, no friends and family and no job prospects.

I'm a 35y/o male.

In 2 weeks, I'll be homeless if a job and a miracle does not occur.

I'm so suck and tired I can't stand it anymore.

HELP!
Gosh I'm so sorry to hear that and I hope things turn around for you.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 951 times
Default Desperate for options and resources.....

I feel that I'm at the end of my rope. I left an abusive 9 yr relationship back in June, I haven't picked myself back up yet. Here in WA state they passed a law to where you can only recieve financial state assistance for 60 months. In the past years I have used 64 months and this month was my last month to recieve it, they had also cut back my benefits because of overpayments in the past which they just discovered so I only recieved $197 for the month of January and being my last month I am now homeless due to lack of rent payment. I have 3 children, 2 who are school aged and one who is 3. They have not went to school this week because of the changes we have to make. I'm not good at making decisions, every time I make one it turns out bad. I have been seeking employment for 4months, everyday from 8am to 7pm, I have had several interviews and am still unemployed. I have very little work experience and lots of education. In the job market today they are seeking individuals with at least 1yr work experience. I've never worked over 9mon. due to the relationship I was in. My kids and I stayed in a motel the last two nights and are stuck now. I do not have a place for them to sleep tonite. I have absolutely no family or friends who are able to help in any way. I'm out of money, drive a Cadallac Elderodo so the means to travel to a shelter is unfortunate because of not enough fuel. I have a plan just no way to pursue it.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
That's tough, seek welfare, pray they don't take the kids. I could ask a lot of questions like 64 months is way past last June, the gas guzzler car, and etc but that is your bee's wax not mine. Seems your x might be up for child support if you go to court. You would be given that money thru welfare i think. Meaning you wouldn't have to deal with a abusive x spouse.

That may include common law if you were not married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness