Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

What oil would be used in a saw with 100% ethenol mix? Yer chemist husband knows about things I don't.

I converted a fork from gasoline to propane, and converted a house hold genni from gasoline to propane once too. The genni never ran with gasoline unless it was factory tested, but there was no sign of that, the gas tank was clean and dead bone dry.

My best for shtf might be buy a little kubota 4 banger diesel and buuild a vehical around it. I can almost pick up that engine complete. I have used to to power big gennies that turn on and off as the grid demands. So it theory it could have a few different bodies, one for rock crawlin' and one to go to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
You don't specifically need "oil" - you just need a lubricating agent (lots of lubes aren't oil-based). If we can find a commonly available agent that doesn't have adverse reactions to alcohol and doesn't impede combustion, we just might have a winner

Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Uh Oh!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM

122 posts, read 240,759 times
My, my there certainly is a debate about ethanol! And to think it all started out as a joke on me! I would be interested in talking to Bee Keeper. I wouldn't just want honey, but you can use bees wax for things like soaps and candle making. Wonder if the bee keeper ever does any of that? As far as the taxes in Maine, I have looked up property tax in several locations, and it doesn't seem bad.Here in the mid-west property taxes are much higher, so I think I can live with Maine's taxes. The "goobermint" (I like that!) is making it almost impossible on everyone, and I'm anxious to get some land while there is some left. As far as being right or left winged, I have given up on both and I want to go live off the grid, so to speak, so they can't affect me as much. It's a sad state this country is in (although there isn't any other country I would want to be in). I just feel like our freedoms are being stripped from us.I agree, I am more of an independent.Although, I don't like claiming that either.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Well I think a point is coming where regular folks will have no choice but to quit payin the taxes and then the goobermint is gonna find out they ain't reall good at much besides making rules and collectin' taxes, no Body's got.

To me these revnewers just might be another kind of white meat. If one thinks they can stand around and point, telling me what needs to git done, 'ee's gonna have a nuther thing coming, and he ain't gonna like it much.

I will do what needs done as I see fit, but I don't know what good that will do for revnewers.

Likey I might feed them once, and if they come back work them like slaves because they will be.

I tried slavery once and liked it At a event a whole family entered my lodge while i was in it. No 'Ho De Lodge' no nuthin.

I was havin a private conversation with a guy who just had a recent death in his family and he was upset. These idiots came in as I protested loud and clear my lodge was not open for public viewing. Didn't matter a bit, they just came in, sat down and began to chat, I litterally took them all prisioner for the next 6 hours. It would have been more time, but they were no good at nuthin', and I didn't want to feed them.

I had a rope on each, neck to neck (traditional), and they didn't like that much, but it was better than the rest i said would happen if they protested any. I was in paint too, and when I am in paint people listen. Too bad they didn't see that upon my first request.

When I am in paint no one can go tell the cops what I look like either LOL. First of all the cops wouldn't belive them, and 2ndly I would look a lot different when they came back

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Missing has very valid points.. It will be a fuel of the future, just how i may use it remains to be seen. A good bet is I won't. It hasn't the power gasoline has and gasoline hasn't the power diesel has, so for me it is likely i will go bio-fuel.

If that freezes up in winter, which it can here, it won't be the first time I built a camp fire under one. The only reason I don't own a diesel of my own right now is that i was a full time tech, and can't stand the stink to work in it. I hate the feel of it on my hands and that stink just sets me off bad.

Other un-related smells set me off too, black tea is one of them. I just can't deal with it and anyone forcing me to is very likey gonna get puke on their shoes.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM

122 posts, read 240,759 times
Lol...Remind me to never just barge in on ya in your lodge! Wow! Bet they were scared half to death,esp. if you were painted up.I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 PM

At events there are ways to enter a lodge just like in a house there are proper ways to anounce your intent to enter a house. A lodge is just another form of a house.

It's a good thing Gwyn wasn't changing her clothes or things would have been far worse!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Mac_Muz:

I can think of many people, my friend, whom I'd rather p*ss off than you...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Perhaps I read too much Allen Ekert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness