Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If I was going to dig,drill,or pound a well by myself, I would contact a witcher.

The decision then is mine to dig,drill, or pound where he selected or a different spot where I selected.

Sure as heck Driller1 isn't goingh to help you locate a well cuz there is no $$$$$ in it for him.

--No money in it--for a witcher also, but they truly are doing it to help you.
Unless you are in my area, there would be no money in it any way.

How and where you drill into the earth is covered by codes and laws.

Of course, some people feel they are above the law.

BTY, I have all the money I will ever need.

You can check that on out. That is MY phone number and address on that rig picture. I am not hiding behind just a screen name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't think anyone is doubting your knowledge and professionalism when it comes to drilling wells. And I don't really know why anyone would expect you to go out of your way to discuss drilling a well for themselves--that would be silly, like slitting your own throat or something. Same thing would apply for me asking a general contractor how to build a house myself. In fact, it would be rather insulting of me to expect that from someone whose livelihood depends on just what I'm trying to circumvent.

At the same time, it is generally the case that those who are interested in self-sufficiency, frugal living, minimalism, etc, are also interested in doing everything they have the ability to do (and want to do) themselves. I know that is the case with me. I'm not trying to advocate ruining anyone's livelihood. I just prefer to learn and do on my own. That said, I've found that the best source for most of these technical sorts of skills is textbooks. For instance, when I became interested in timber framing, I bought all the books I could find on the matter. Some were good, some were not. But they gave me the mental know-how to build a timber frame structure. Of course it took a while to get my hands to actually do a good job with the woodworking and get enough experience to be effective, but it all worked out. Same thing when I became interested in designing small homes. I bought a bunch of books from designers, drafters, architects, historical home designs and catalogues, builders, owner-builders, etc. It's a great way to get started.

There are several books on Amazon about drilling wells by hand. I've had a few on them on my wish list in the past, but I've never bought one. I don't have the time to get experience with that sort of thing right now. So for the OP... you might want to purchase some of these and see if they are of any use.
Always check for permits.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
codes and laws in central Virginia only tell you where approximately well can locate not telling where to drill. my driller give me an option to pay extra for new technology i don't remember what he called or he can use dowsing to pick the location for free.

how do you pick the location to drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Of course, some people feel they are above the law.

BTY, I have all the money I will ever need.

You can check that on out. That is MY phone number and address on that rig picture. I am not hiding behind just a screen name.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
codes and laws in central Virginia only tell you where approximately well can locate not telling where to drill. my driller give me an option to pay extra for new technology i don't remember what he called or he can use dowsing to pick the location for free.

how do you pick the location to drill.
The rules look pretty much like ours.

http://www.vwrrc.vt.edu/pdfs/special...vate_wells.pdf

The health department determines where we drill. The main factor is isolation distances.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
The rules look pretty much like ours.

http://www.vwrrc.vt.edu/pdfs/special...vate_wells.pdf

The health department determines where we drill. The main factor is isolation distances.

The health department only determines where you can not drill.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The health department only determines where you can not drill.
Not true, of course you would know more than me.

How many wells have you drilled in Michigan????

We mark a place, they OK it.

They do NOT blanket the area with DO NOT DRILL signs

Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Maybe this will help.

When approved, this states the place you can drill.

Not all the places you can not drill.

http://www.co.midland.mi.us/files/578.pdf

Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM

http://www.baycounty-mi.gov/Docs/200...pplication.pdf

This is Bay County.

It clearly states the well HAS to be drilled by a registered driller.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM

After meeting the isolation distances, most people want the well as close to the home as possible.

The less excavating, the less the hook-up will cost.

Also if the well is a long way from the home, it could mean a larger pump.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

Of course, some people feel they are above the law. ...
Driller; I respect you.

I do not intend any insult to you, nor to anyone who drills wells. Your profession is one which is needed and highly valued in our culture.

However in reality most of this planet is not covered by any building codes.

For a good portion of this nation there are no enforced building codes or laws about where you can drill a hole.

I am certain that in your area this is a matter which is highly regulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness