Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Some folks see no difference between city and country.

Another Minnesota city stated chickens would be allowed with permits and any person applying for a permit needed the signature approval of anyone living within 300 ft.

No one has applied for a permit yet despite people demanding it over a year ago.
Yes, but is that because no one can get the signatures, or because no one really wanted to have chickens in the first place?

I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of folks who are stuck being unable to get a permit because one neighbor refuses to sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times
I see nothing wrong with that neighbor refusing to sign.

If a guy wants chickens, move out of the city limits then you won't need approval.

Next thing some city dweller will want to have a junk car on blocks on his lawn and proclaim---------"they do it in the rural area, why can't I do it on my 1/4 acre lot "

I think chickens and farm animals in the city limits are eyesores ( along witth being a passing FAD )

Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,218,046 times
Quote:
I think chickens and farm animals in the city limits are eyesores ( along witth being a passing FAD )
Well, those "eyesores" will be saving the butts of your neighbors with more open minds about what constitutes SELF-SUFFICIENCY AND PREPAREDNESS if SHTF -- if they must shelter in place and don't have access to the kind of acreage and dairy herds you do.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Well, if the majority of the affected neighbors wouldn't sign, that I could see... but a single one? That's just a little off-balance unless there was a process to over-rule it and get an exemption or something.

I've lived in communities where one curmudgeony black-hearted resident shot down each and everything that any of the rest of us wanted to do that was set up on a permit system like that. He didn't do it for any prctical reasons, but simply to be spiteful because he was ticked off at the world and he enjoyed making others as miserable as he was.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Well, if the majority of the affected neighbors wouldn't sign, that I could see... but a single one? That's just a little off-balance unless there was a process to over-rule it and get an exemption or something.

I've lived in communities where one curmudgeony black-hearted resident shot down each and everything that any of the rest of us wanted to do that was set up on a permit system like that. He didn't do it for any prctical reasons, but simply to be spiteful because he was ticked off at the world and he enjoyed making others as miserable as he was.
As I stated, don't move to the city if you want to raise farm animals/livestock.

Quite simple.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
As I stated, don't move to the city if you want to raise farm animals/livestock.

Quite simple.
Wow, so personal liberty needs to be sacrificed for city living...?

I don't see why it should make any difference, if on MY property I want to keep a pig, goat, chickens, rabbits or a 1959 Ford 100 propped up on bricks. It's exactly this kind of mealy mouthed chickensh*t attitude that is going to be the downfall of the US. If my neighbor doesn't like it they're at complete liberty to move the hell away, maybe into another community where they can all be productive little drones with their perfectly manicured lawns and color coordinated house paint, and they can then pass these kinds of BS regulations through their HOA's, NOT through the local government.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
I wish it could work the other way around and city people would keep their city stuff in the city. But nooo, they move to NH to be in the 'country', and then bring all their city stuff, and ideas with them, and make it the hell they just left. Why is that?

Gun, yer right it is eatting the country up.

A city dwellin dentist moves to the last place on a road and wants plowing, wants his kids in a different school, and buses to take them there, a long way away.

Rules on what can and can not be had out behind the barn.

City people who buy a 1/4 acre lot next to a 160 acre Kings grant and complain about the shooting.

City people who insist on posting every last square inch of their land, most often that 1/4 acre lot.

City people who will insist on per test laws and then go chit on another guys land with no clue How To cleanly........... That one was last week right here. I saw a new blue truck and no one here has anything new. The next day i saw white behind where the truck was, and that little surprise wasn't good, since the dogs were deep in investigations. ewww...

Guess I have no grounds since I am the one who took down the Keep Out signs myself, but if i ever see that truck again, somebody is gonna get a lecture about How To chit in th woods!

more??

City dwellers buy up condos in the middle of a centuries old deer yard and wonder why their bushes get chomped each winter. These same city dwellers don't want any deer killed, by hunters, but some how justify Govt hunters killing these same deer as if a Govt hunter is some how a better hunter or something. I have never been able to get that figured out.

Everywhere 80+ acres are getting to be big box stores and big parking lots, nothing different than anywhere where else. I can buy the same cotton tea shirts in NH as you can in Alabama, but it's a lot colder here than in Alabama. It's like all the USA is so smalll only one kind of clothing is needed.

Some months ago someone posted about a HOA, and i had to look it up on google.

Once i did work at a communist condo in Maryland. I built French raised bed gardens, a fence and a garden shed, and it all had to be by rules like a HOA has, but the owner there never mentioned the words for the meaning of HOA.

The rules were nutty, but because no one could have better or worse than their neighbors.
It wasn't easy either, since the fences had to be 6'6" and no shed could be taller than that on the roof side. The fence was stagger board and stagger board only.

I got clever and rather than build that fence and a shed with in the fence I made trhe out side of that fence stagger board, but put in a board between boards on the inside, which were 2 walls of the shed with no wasted space, or places for city debris to collect, that every single other shed there had.

Making it appear from the outside to meet the rules, but from the inside a solid wall for a garden shed. Another probklem was no fasteners could be on the buildings for the fence or sheds, but could for wires. Odd.

The shed could touch the building though, so I made dove tail joints to lock certain key parts.

I got in trouble over the gate. I made a tombstone gate with a weeping heart cut out of the same boards the fence and shed were made of (pressure treated) I hand forged a katch too. I made a big acorn facia for the katch lever outside as well, and got BUSTED for this being too nice of all things.

Everyone almost liked it, and the rules were changed for the gate alone, but it was hell for me for awhile.

It's no wonder cheating goes on is such places. If i lived in one i wouldn't know which wife was mine either

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I saw a new blue truck and no one here has anything new.
And that's what the resentment is about.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
HUH? I resent one relieving themself improperly on the property, not a truck. If i didn't like or want the truck I wouldnt have taken down the Keep Out signs.

You and anyone else is free as a bird to come park here and walk in the woods all you like, and if you must relieve yerself to do so, but correctly, where the dogs and me will never know you did.

Out here in this area no one wants a new truck because it will get all beat up in the woods.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Out here in this area no one wants a new truck because it will get all beat up in the woods.
LOL, amen to that...

My truck looked pretty before it became an almost full time offroader, every now and again the pretty still shines through, but it's getting rarer and rarer for it to get through the scratches and dings.

Oh well, there's ugly beautiful that I guess I need to aim for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness